Carrier Residential Heat Pump

Trying to solve a problem, first the main power relay was sticking but even with the thermostat calling for cooling and activating the relay using a stick to push it in.... the fan and compressor kick on and run. My problem is that the air doesn't get very cold. When I switch the thermostat to heat I get basically the same temperature air. There are, I think nine wires going from the thermostat to the heatpump and I believe 3 of them were showing 24 volts on the control board. I have checked the coil in the indoor furnace to see that everything is clean there and it is so air is flowing. I have also grabbed both copper tubes between the heatpump and indoor unit and they don't seem to be cold/hot either. Any ideas before I call in the calvary.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Jeff

Reply to
jhill

Jeff, Your problem solving doesn't seem to be working very well. If you are pushing the relay in with a stick then the stat "aint callin" and/or the relay "aint listenin". If the air isn't very cold, maybe you need a bigger stick? If you switch to heat and get the same temperature then both you heat and your cool are in balance and working together well in unison. If you have 9 wires to the heat pump then you should have enough. It only takes 5. Some use more. Some only use 3 so at 9 you should be well taken care of. You should have 24 volts on 4 wires, not 3. If it has 24 volts going in it has to have 24 volts going back out. So that is 2 right there. Its good that the air is flowing over your clean coil. How much air is there flowing? Sometimes that matters. You should have about a quart of air for every 1.5 tons of cooling. How much do you have? If you grabbed both tubes and they don't seem to be cold or hot then once again, your system seems to be well in tune and balanced. Really, it seems your system is working very well. Maybe, instead of calling in the Calvary, you should call in Stormy. I hear he is very good at diagnosing these things AFTER he hears how everyone else diagnoses it first. Good Luck. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Sure....I got an idea....

Your welcome

Reply to
Noon-Air

Was there a question in that rambling?

Reply to
KJPRO

Sounds like compressor may not be starting or out of refrigerant. Unfortunately for you, this is not something you can fix. You'll have to call someone to fix this one. There is actually very little a homeowner can fix on his own unit. Tripped breakers and such, yes, but very little else. Rodney

Reply to
Rod

What's the pressures? Amp draw off the compressor, tonnage, some actual temps, superheat? Subcooling, that kind of thing. Which refrigerant? Delta T across both coils?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah Right Stormy. Like you would actually have the slightest freakin clue if someone handed you those numbers. All you would do is wait till someone else answered it and then you would "parrot" the answer. Go fix a rock you clueless hack. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Doesn't he need a new thermostat Bubba?

Reply to
Zyp

Zyp posted for all of us...

A digital one WITH digital wiring to boot!

Reply to
Tekkie®