Carrier AC/Heatpump shorting out

Page 1 of 2
We have a Carrier AC/Heat pump. We have been having a problem with the 5amp fuse that is located on the inside unit. When the heat or ac tries to engage it blows the fuse. We have checked the board and found a spot where two thermostat wires were touching and shorting out on the outside case cover. Thought we had it resolved and even cleaned the board on the outside unit. When we turned the heat back on it turned on great and then when it got to the correct temp inside it turned off. When it came back on it again blew the fuse. We had run out of solutions. Anyone have any ideas? The fan runs fine and the emergency heat also works properly. Help!

Best bet is to call your local, *competent*, licensed, insured, professionally trained, HVAC technician to come and diagnose, then repair the problem.
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 11:51:36 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Check the outdoor heat pump unit. In particular.....look at the wires to the low pressure switch, hight pressure switch and reversing valve. You owe me now. Bubba

Don't forget the contactor... a shorted coil will blow the fuse too

pumps that short the wire from the pres sw to the copper. The wire covering is real cute looking yellow or pink or blue. Its rather stiff and thin. It doesnt burn through the covering........rather it just vibrates through. It leaves a whitish mark on the copper where it shorts. Had one of them do it twice till I finally disconnected the wires and slid some covering over them (black vinyl humidifier drain tubing.) Worked like a champ ever since. Just some more Carrier cost cutting moves. Bubba

Pinched wires at the condenser is nice to locate... I wonder why the cover isn't installed correctly??? Hummmmm, lets leave this screw out as the cover isn't fitting right... Yep, pull the cover and the wiring isn't located within the wiring box. Repair the wiring, tuck it in and the cover fits. Now the missing screw will reach the cabinet.
The last company just replaced the fuse and left. I guess it must have been a lot easier to replace a fuse and tell the customer it's ok... yep, till the next time the wiring hits the improperly installed cover!

Do you ever wonder whether its laziness, not knowing, not caring or a combination of all three as to why these clowns wont do the job right?

Chalk it up to their "give a shit" tank being empty.

Steve wrote:

It also might be a 90 hour week catching up with the Tech. Field techs, unlike Union suckoffs, really work hard enough to get tired.

So if you're tired, shit work is acceptable... ?

KJPRO wrote:

The point is to stop and let others do it when you hit the point where effective work has declined. There are many studies on this both in the mili8tary and in the industrial complex. But of course if your daily effective work is shitty, then what is there to say? It just isn't gonna get any better.

Alexander wrote:

Hire 'em young! They can MULTITASK and are efficient at it too. They can drive the car, watch tv, send and receive text messages as well as have a conversation with someone in the passenger seat next to them. But when it comes to work, they're really really slow... just watch 'em walk.... baggie pants and all.
--
Zyp

Zyp wrote:

Don't worry about the young and dumb. Our Government will uniform them and send them off to get killed in some moronic war looking for WMD.

Alexander wrote:

Wow - your good. You realy can spin that out these comments within an HVAC newsgroup.....
--
Zyp

Zyp wrote:

What is your point?

those with points need to wear a hat to cover them
Fartikus wrote:

It is good that you share your experience with us. Is that a size 2 hat size you use?

Hey! Alex! my brudda from anudder mudda! yeah, size 2, same as you; remember, bro? I thought they had shaved your point off; guess it grew back hah?
if you want to make a point you just have to touch your toes and make an impression in the ground. are you in charge of shorts? I guess you don't have to look too far?