CapillaryTube, what exactly is it ?

Page 1 of 2
I have often wondered, just exactly what is a capillary tube? is it a modulating refrifegerant control or a fixed oriface metering device ?
It responds to the load as the TXV does, but also looks and feels like a fixed oriface.. so just what the heck is it ?
Fat Eddy www.hvactalkforum.com

Ive often wondered what a spammer getting nailed is. is it like a bitch getting slammed to the ground and getting rolled, or it it like a newborn puppy whinin for momma?

Yea, I'm getting tired of his spam too. He posts under another name as well and responds to his own posts Rich

and when you get REALLY tired of it, you'll quit yer bitchin and stop reading his posts. maybe.
snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:

So you really don't know ? you have no clue what it is do you .
<snip>

Wait, you forgot something:
[ Fat Eddy [ www.hvactalkforum.con
So what kind of money-per-click are we talking about here?$?
-zero
I know....but I ain't telling
LALALALALA
On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 18:38:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:

Naw thats too easy.

It's a wire with a small hole going right through middle. Some people use them to meter refrigerant, others use them to pick their teeth with. :-)

Some clamp em down to see if they can get by without a piston....

Fat Eddy wrote:

length for the load it is designed to handle. The outdoor temperature affecting the head pressure, to a small extent, affects the rate of flow. There needs to be a strainer or filter dryer just ahead of the cap tube as it is easily plugged.
A TXV is far superior for regulating superheat and subcooling of a variable load. - udarrell

he knows this without going to hvactalk.com ! Amazing

Nah, ya' don't need one. Just put a pinch-off tool om the liquiid line, and squeeze it down until the superheat is satisfactory. But it only works after installing a used run capacitor, about 50% over sized.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
udarrell wrote:

But there is a strong argument out there that says they are a modulating metering device, theoretically I suppose they are, they do modulate flow to the evaporator in response to how much subcooling they have in the capillary tube itself, the more subcooling they have the more refrigerant they will meter through the tube, the lower the subcooling and the less refrigerant passes, it tends to modulate , where as a fixed oriface has no ability to respond to the load.
Fat Eddy
Fat Eddy wrote:

heatload on the evaporator coil as the TXV does. Therefore, if "for any reason" the heatload drops way off which also lowers the coil's pressure compared to the highside resulting in increased flow into the evaporator coil. Therefore, if the outdoor ambient is very hot it will flood the evaporator with liquid and slug the compressor. Alternatively, the TXV will throttle the refrigerant flow down in a direct attempt to maintain enough superheat to help protect the compressor.
The cap tube does not stop the flow of refrigerant when the unit cycles off, which reduces pressure differentials and starting torque but also can reduce the life of the compressor due to some possible compressor slugging on startup.
Both the cap tube and the Fixed Orifice will respond to an increase in the evaporator load in respect to how much that increases the highside pressure and thus the flow through the restriction. However, I see very little difference between those two devices; the TXV is far superior to either of them. Eddy, I would like to see that strong argument that a cap tube can modulate subcooling or superheat in a proper way. - udarrell - Darrell
udarrell wrote:

Not looking to argue it, its just that it is classified as modulating metering device due to the action and reaction that happens within the bubblee length of th etube,,, it makes it a modulating refrigerant device the same class as the TXV, however is no where near as efficceint as the TXV.
Fat Eddy
www.hvactalkforum.com
A fixed orifice has distributor tubes, larger than cap tuves but most likely a similar result affected by subcooling.
Since the distributer tubes are bigger than capilliary tubes they could be described as Fat, like you.
Fat Eddy wrote:

Abby Normal wrote:

So its a hybrid ?
Hmmm I don't have much time right now I will let you know the answer when I get back,,,,,,,lol

Its a fixed metering device.
ftwhd wrote:

Is not
Fat Eddy