Capacitor Question.

Simple question im sure for some of you experts out there. My ac unit schematic calls for one dual cap. Though when i originally opened the unit it had one old dual cap with only 2 terminals used for the compressor and a single cap used for the fan... What would be the purpose of dong this? Can only one side of a dual cap go bad? or when it goes bad does the whole thing go bad? Thats the only reason i can see why this was done. If the whole thing goes bad then i know where my problem lies.. and ill just rewire a few things and replace the dual cap like the schematic shows. Thanks in advance for the help..

Reply to
coocoobird

The dual cap may be okay. They may have replaced the fan motor & it called for a different sized Run Capacitor Rating. We do it all the time, no problem. - udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

Yes, very possible for one side of the cap to go bad. As Darrel says, maybe the newer fan takes a different cap.

How about check em, for shorts and opens?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Dido

That's typical when replacing a motor. Even if the original was the correct size it should be replaced with the motor.

GL Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

Hey, that's a first. Someone said I gave out the right answer. Thank you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:BacBg.12388$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

Ya, but it was Dido, so it doesn't count. He waits until someone posts the correct answer, then repeats it like it was his idea. Turtle used to do the same thing.

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Thank you Dan

DIDO