Can I Recharge or Change the Compressor on My Heat Pump?

Hello All,
My heat pump is blowing cool air this winter. The local HVAC repair person wants me to buy a new unit for $6,500. I must admit that it is pretty old system and may not be very energy efficient. The problem is I don't have the bugdet for it right and do not want to take on new debt by financing a new unit.
Can I have him recharge the compressor or replace it altogether? The entire system is still working except for the cold air.
I appreciate any insight.
Thanks!
ZGR81
Err, if it's blowing cold air when it should be heating the only part of the system that's working is the space blower.
As far as what it'll take to fix your system, your best bet is to go with a local contractor you trust rather than to seek blind advice over the net.
On 20 Dec 2006 06:16:50 -0800, "ZGR81"

--
Keep your feet close to the ground.

Didn't you know that some air-condition devices are more efficient in winter time
(The local HVAC repair person wants me to buy a new unit for $6,500.)
Well GW Bush is not doing that good job of stimulating economy so some body got to do it
I must admit that it is

Some old units are better then new-ones didn't you know that
The problem is

What you mean budget you do have credit card you know what they say you can't take it with you
for it right and do not want to take on new

(The entire system is still working except for the cold air.)
It sound like you need reliable service contractor who knows what he or she is doing Take it from some one who do not have anything to loose or gain DIDO say that

ZGR81 wrote:

Raffy - Try bidding for a new system on eBay.
On 20 Dec 2006 06:16:50 -0800, "ZGR81"

Replace the compressor and buy a new bag of warm air. Replace the thermostat and it should all work fine again. If the air isnt warm enough after that, consider purchasing a "Reverse-flow Ductbooster". Bubba
On 20 Dec 2006 06:16:50 -0800, "ZGR81"

You can have him do anything your little heart desires. It's your money to burn.
http://www.thehvacmedic.com - All the free heating and air answers you want!
Time to call a couple other companies. Without seeing the unit in person, my answer is "well, probably....."
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

You've got the money...........