Buy a Mutsubishi Air Conditioner?

I am looking to convert my attic into an office. Its quite large 21X19 in one area and another smaller area of 12X 16 ft. I am thinking we will need what I guess is a dual zone system. Mitsubishi I head makes teh most quiest system and because I will be working up there during the day, and on the phone a lot, I am hoping I wont hear these things wizzing all day.

I live in PA. so I think I will need a mitsubishi heat pump system and not just cooling only.

Looks like they are syaing we will have to drill small holes where the copper comes in to the mounting indoor air handler, which shouldnt be a problem,

Should my husband do most of the work himsefl and then call our AC installer to do the freon? We need to save money anywhere we can but I dont want to void any warranties.

Thanks

Jan

Reply to
Janice Connell

Diego Guzman

Jan, check out this Mitsubishi air conditioner video on YouTube. If gives a little insight into the systems and teh installation of mr slim air conditioners. Good luck

Richard

Reply to
Rich McCarthy

You don't really believe that you little game of shill ping-pong is fooling anyone besides the mormun... Do you?

PS- Janice, are you hot?

Reply to
HVAC

If money is a problem the Mitsubishi is more expense than most. You might consider a 350,000 cfm attic exhaust fan and a box of paperweights.

Reply to
ZephramCockran

Fujitsu has some great offerings for a whole lot less money. My customers have been absolutely thrilled with the ones I have installed for them. They are almost virtually silent. I do recommend that you get the higher grade offerings... it will be worth the money. They still need to be installed by a pro tho. There should be contractors listed for your area on

Steve

Janice, a few years back I gave into my wife's request for an air conditioner. In chatting with a friend he told me another friend of his had bought a Samsung 2 head unit and left it in his barn for storage. The other friend moved to Texas the next spring and my buddy was happy to get rid of it. He had central air already. So for $1000.00 I bought it and did the install. Really a great bargain I thought considering the Mrs had quotes of close to $3500.

The install is pretty straight forward really. The hole through the outside wall concerned me as a leaky drain inside a wall can really mess things up. I found some flexible shop vacuum hose that made it so any leaks would either be apparent on the inside wall or outside...no way can condensate leak into the wall chamber. With that hint given let me tell you the horror stories... I bought it from a friend remember and it was sold about 2 years before I installed it. So I had no sales slip and no warranty even though the boxes were clearly marked with shipping labels from the dealer that sold it. One of the head units had a bad power supply and the other had no remote control. Both quite expensive and painful to track down. Yes I still saved about half her quote but with buying the replacement parts and paying the pro to troubleshoot and charge the system the wallet was deflated.

The Pro was rather inpressed with the job I had done up to havng to call him...or at least he said so and said he wished his installers took as much pride in their work.

5 years later we are still enjoying it though here in Vermont it really only runs about 20 days a year unless we use the fan mode to circulate some air. One room is heated with a woodstove. The other is a 600 sq foot daycare space that is heated with a Monitor heater in the winter. So I have no advice on the heat pump models.

So all in all if you and your husband are very accomplished in electrical and plumbing as well as some remodelling skills I would say you can do most of the install yourself. I had no real trouble finding some one to service it but here in Vermont we may be a bit more friendly than PA.

Reply to
Krazy Old Man

Had a GE heat pump unit in motel and you could NOT hear the compressor run, just a mild fan noise.

greg

Reply to
zekor

You can try to have a pro charge it but please lose the term "Freon". Saying Freon in front of any installer will probably have him/her seeing dollar signs and trying to "pull the wool over your eyes" by overcharging you.

A Freon is a CFC or HCFC refrigerant such as R12 or R22 made by DuPont chemicals. Their term for HFC refrigerants like the R134a in your fridge and car is Suva. R410a is a mixed refrigerant sometimes called Puron by Carrier. Different companies use different names for the same thing.

So ask which refrigerant it uses and you should be OK.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

Dumbest post of the month.

Reply to
.p.jm.

Why is it dumb? It is true.

It's kind of like when a person is at the shop talking to the mechanic and the convo goes like this: "A little oil can thingie lit up on my dash a few days ago then today it started making a loud noise and shut off" Some mechanics see dancing dollar signs at that point kind of like in Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

Ya mean like when you call around to find a "tech" with the lowest service call price, and after being charged for 4 or 5 service calls with "repairs", and he still hasn't corrected the original problem.... OTOH, you could have paid for a *competent* tech, the original problem would have been corrected the first time, and you would have been several hundreds of dollars ahead.

You can pay to get it done cheap, and pay and pay and pay..... or you can pay to get it done right the first time.

Reply to
Steve