Bryant Blower Motor Loud Startup

Page 1 of 3

Merry Christmas, Season's Greetings, Happy Holidays! Anyway, I have a Bryant condensing furnace Model 340MAV on which the blower motor makes a loud/brief hum/vibration noise on startup. Startup Cap was easy/cheap enough to replace, but did not fix the problem. Is my blower motor going bad or is there something else I should look at first before bringing it in to an electric motor shp for a checkup?
Thanks in advance!!!
it depend on type of motor, but before you do anything ales check voltage when motor is starting up you should be with in 10% of rated voltage, anything less that is your problem.

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 08:19:42 -0800 (PST), Jim Conway

Your motor is taking a shit. Replace it.

LOL! I would have figured that out if it had a newspaper. That's the difference between a pro (you) and a novice (me)...
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 16:29:02 -0800 (PST), Jim Conway

BTW that was a run capacitor not a start capacitor you replaced. Its a PSC motor. Permanent Split Capacitor.
Jim Conway wrote:

Could be a number of things. Run Capacitor too small, to start winding having shorted windings. Which is worse? Cold or a slightly noisy startup. you could leave the motor on constant run.
You could take it to a motor shop, or you could call a HVAC company with experience in furnaces. I can think of a couple problems it could be.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Their snake 'technician' *cough*THIEF*cough* came out to perform gas maintenance on my system at a cost of $158, and perhaps even to have me subscribe to their regular maintenance service plan. Cutting right to the chase: They didn't clean the blower motor (p/o the service) and likely didn't do much more. I didn't realize this until I opened the compartment two days later to investigate the motor noise which they had no answer for other than "we can clean your blower wheel for $80, but that could make it worse, so we can then replace your blower motor at a cost of $877 -- consequently I wrote off their service plan. It also wasn't until a week later I realized they had STOLEN a brand new electronic motorized damper I had foolishly left down there in view ($110 cost for that), so I'm out a total of $268. I guess their thieving tech was so busy trying to figure how to get a damper fo that size out of the house he forgot to do my service. Fricking thieves, eh TONY?! Anyway, stopped payment on the CC for service not performed, sent an email to the company president along with pictures of the dirty component -- never heard back from him (why am I not surprised?), followed up with a 2nd email after I discovered the THEFT, and I will also be filing a police report tomorrow AM as I don't expect to get the damper back within the 24 hours I allowed them. Incidentally, got a 2nd quote from another local HVAC company that was a more 'reasonable' $480 to replace the motor.
However, snakes aside, I had much greater success with a local electric motor company (BAY STATE ELECTRIC, Methuen, MA). That guy's done me good twice, and identified my motor as being bad, and gave me a lead on where to find a new one (all at no charge). After a mere $125 for a brand new motor and about two hours of my own time (pulling, picking up, installing) my system is running smooth and quiet. Unfortunately, SNAKES like Climate Design System of Methuen, MA reflect quite poorly on all you upstanding HVAC guys willing to offer support on this board and who treat your customers well. More unfortunate, it will be a cold day in hell, or my house before I choose another HVAC without a recommendation from others who trust them...
I've had some success dissembling, and relubing electric motors. Yeah, most tech rip and replace. Sometimes I get calls out on Saturday, and the parts houses are closed. The last motor repair I did, no heat call for a church mouse. No money, just a cold home. The draft inducer fan locked up, and it's rough to be in NYS with no heat this time of year.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yeah, and it is rough to be in NYS when your lungs are full of CO because some clueless mormon top-posting clown tried to "lube your motor" instead of actually repairing the root problem.
Mike Hunt wrote:

In real life some times temp. fix is a necessity until such time proper repair is possible. Never had a situation like that in your life on the road or around the house?

very rarely.... My truck is very well stocked with spare parts inventory. I only have a couple of times a year whe I don't have the correct part on the truck.
Steve wrote:

Do you carry spare axle shaft steady bearing? Once I had that bearing failure. I had to crawl 40 miles to a garage who could replace it.

Why didn't you fix it when it first started to get noisy, instead of driving it for a few more years?
Cheap fuck.
Mike Hunt wrote:

I wish it did. It was a sudden failure. The truck was only used for towing fiver in season. You have dirty mouth for sure. Hope you don't have little kids in your house.
Steve has four of those.
I stock very few motors. My parts house keeps them for me.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

down and will continue to be. You'll find many things at the supply house but not all of them. It is acceptable to provide a temporary repair if at all possible to keep the heat on while the motor ordered is delivered. Lubricants and solvents have been used to clean bearings in motors, on shafts. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't work, what is the loss? You'll have to replace. This is an issue these days, the craft has lost it's ability to repair. They replace. Parts changers are expensive people to deal with. I didn't mention that the 4T unit that was replaced was originally installed in 2006. That unit should have been repaired if the guy wanted to fix it. He wanted to replace it, so he did.

Too bad he most likely has an R-22 system.... I hope he has lots of $$$ because when it developes leaks down the road, his only choice is going to be to replace the entire system because of non-availibility of R-22 due to HCFC pase-out. I would venture to say that the 75% reduction in production and importing of R-22 on January 1st will cause the price to at least triple if not quadruple in the next 6 months....but its his money. If he had bought a decent quality system instead of a cheap one, he would have had a unit replacement warranty with it. Even the cheap ones have a 5 year parts warranty.

Bullshit. There are R-22 replacements on the market RIGHT NOW. You're being deliberately deceptive or woefully uninformed. Which is it?

None of the above... your living in another world if you don't think the prices of replacements are gonna skyrocket also. Besides.... whats the point of even selling anything that take R-22... the manufacturers have been mandated to stop making anything that takes it. Are you gonna go throw in a bunch of R-22 stuff so 5 years down the road you can sell them new stuff again?? That would be a gross dis-service to your customers. Oh, thats right, you only do resi on the side.