Braze or solder copper refrigerant lines to fittings

That's nice, but technical bulletin # TB 98-04B Dated 11/12/98 states not to use low temp (soft) solder on R410a units. Situation: It causes a jell-like acidic substance that will plug metering devices, strainers, and feeder tubes. Solution: Units must NOT be installed with flux and soft solder. Units MUST be brazed using silver bearing or non-silver bearing brazing material such as sil-fos or plos-copper on all copper to copper connections.

Reply to
KJPRO

Gee, with all the money I save, I could get the slow leak fixed on my Pinto's back tire. Thanks! You're a real friend.

Sarcasm mode off.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Man, You're quoting regs from 10 years ago ! You guys sure have some strange regulations down there.... Also, where would the acidity be coming from if you are using a non-Acid flux ? The chemical properties of 95% tin and 5% Zinc SOLDER is 'completely' different than the zinc coating say,.. on the inside/ outside of a pipe ! Companies here have been installing 60 gallon water tanks (1000's of them yearly) the same way with no issues. I can't understand why anyone would use "Copper Phos" (is that what you meant ?) or any stick for that matter on a simple copper to copper connection, and especially a tiny 1/8th connector in a refrigeration scenario.

The only reaon anyone wouldn't use the "Far less expensive 95/5" is because they don't have the skills to keep the pipe and connectors at a constant temperature which is far LOWER than stick or silphos. The application in question just does NOT warrant Stick (silver bearing solder maybe...) but Copper PHosphate and High temp stick ?...... Overkill.

Cheers,

/FC....

Reply to
Jman

[...]

where you been. Did you wag school when they were teaching how to braze refrig lines. Just read the install manual from any manufacturer

e.g Daikin

CAUTION TO BE TAKEN WHEN BRAZING REFRIGERANT PIPING

.Do not use flux when brazing refrigerant piping. Therefore, use the phosphor copper brazing filler metal

(BCuP-2: JIS Z 3264/B-Cu93P-710/795: ISO 3677) which does not require flux..

(Flux has extremely harmful influence on refrigerant piping systems. For instance, if the chlorine based flux is

used, it will cause pipe corrosion or, in particular, if the flux contains fluorine, it will damage the refrigerant oil.)

 Before brazing local refrigerant piping, nitrogen gas shall be blown through the piping to expel air from the

piping.

If you brazing is done without nitrogen gas blowing, a large amount of oxide film develops inside the piping,

and could cause system malfunction.

 When brazing the refrigerant piping, only begin brazing after having carried out nitrogen substitution or

while inserting nitrogen into the refrigerant piping. Once this is done, connect the indoor unit with a flared

or a flanged connection.

 Nitrogen should be set to 0.02 MPa with a pressure-reducing valve if brazing while inserting nitrogen into

the piping.

Reply to
Dave + Gloria

[...]

It has *nothing* to do with "regs", it has to do with manufacturers instructions and good engineering practices. BTW... the customer pays for

*EVERYTHING*
Reply to
Noon-Air

Big difference. A refrigerant system has a tiny orifice to meter the refrigerant. A 60 gal water tank uses 1/2 or 3/4 copper water pipe.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
RoyJ

"leak issues". I've got enough trouble without trying to mix metaphors. Save the psychiatric jargon for when it's really needed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
RoyJ

When you speak, vaguely, using buzz words. You use up air time, or in this case bandwidth. But you really don't say anything useful. Try being specific, and maybe you will use your time effectively.

To answer your question: All of your vague writing is not understood.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I believe the "leak issues" he speaks of are the ones occurring with increasing frequency due to an enlarged prostate. ERS

Reply to
etpm

You can't understand anything.... period!

Reply to
KJPRO

That explains the vague phrasing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

defense is what keeps him from running out inna street when he comes out from under the porch.

Reply to
Noon-Air

[...]

Yeah, following manufacture's installation instructions is "Overkill".

Reply to
KJPRO

It is really irritating to have units that were brazed to code with

15-Silver phos 20 to 30 years ago and not one damned call to top them off. Christ, a Guy could starve to death doing it right. I wonder if maybe we could borrow a few $thousand from the guys that get call back after call back due to shitty work practices. Next, some hack will pop up and try to sell us on superglue, because you can save on using nitrogen.
** Posted from
**
Reply to
Petre

What's nitrogen for??? :-) Stormy is now searching Nitrogen and HVAC...

Reply to
KJPRO

Next thing you know, he'll be looking for "vacuum pump"

Reply to
Steve

He probably pulls a hose from the Pinto... aint that good enough?

Reply to
KJPRO

m...

Cheeeerist....,

I could put together copper pipe better than most of you 'loudmouth's with a freaking 100 watt soldering iron.....

heh,heh....

/FC...

Reply to
Jman