Boiler BTUs, how to calculate?

Once I saw a do-it-yourself form at Home Depot that I would fill out with information I would take from measuring windows, room size, etc. and them calculate how many BTUs the new boiler should be. Where can I find something like that? Thank you

Reply to
Alpha One

Ah,,, I'll take a shot at this.

Home Depot???

Do I win??

Reply to
geoman

yes!! you win a date with this chick

geojr

You can get fromulas here,

Fat Eddy

Is this an existing system?

Reply to
daytona

Fat Eddy

I immediately get a "Site Spy" warning popup when I go to that site. NOT GOOD!

And it's got more ads than Carter has liver pills.

I hate sites that try to install spyware with a purple passion.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

One horsepower is only about 2542 BTU/hr. A kilowatt is almost 3413 BTU/hr. But a "boiler horsepower" is 33,479 BTU/hr.

Watch out with those BTU ratings, when converting!

The term is archaic now, but you might run into it from time to time. It's a kickback to the heyday of steam engines (locomotives), where typical efficiency was less than 8 percent. You needed to burn 33,479 BTU worth of fuel to get one horsepower-hour to the wheels. Thank God for Diesel-Electric!

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

Hey!! Wait a minute there Spacely Sprockets! I'm not THAT old! ;-)

Keep in mind 33,479bth is one Boiler HP _output_. That's why one

500HP will steam like another (different brand/eff. rating )500HP. So depending on burner eff. and if the manufacturer is using a nominal 5 sq.ft. per hp, the btu input can vary. (Older boilers looked much larger because they were,,, rated @7-10 sq.ft. per HP.)

But yes, HP can get quite twisted sometimes.

-zero

Reply to
zero

I stand corrected.

I must be getting old. I'm having quite a few senior moments.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

Well, not to worry.

I've heard it said that as we age, it's OK to constantly forget where you left your car keys. It's when you forget what your car keys are for,,,THAT"S when you have a problem.

-zero

Reply to
zero

Boiler?..... what kind of system hot water,radiant steam, hot water with cast iron radiators?? Most of the time there is more to consider than just the heat loss.

Reply to
kbwk2mch

Unless you own a skysraper or an arena I don't think you will need to convert BTU's to horse power. You probbably only need 2-6 horsepower. I don't think cleaver brooks makes one that small(ha ha)

Reply to
kbwk2mch

If you are going to reply to posts in here then please at least put a snippet of what you are replying to in your post.

Reply to
Al Moran

Unless you have horses, then we need to know the count per head...........count the feet and divide by 4

Reply to
daytona