Blower Coil Freeze After Compressor Replacement?

Hi, My in-laws had an exterior AC compressor replaced (by an HD sub- contractor FWIW...) which worked for a few days, and then ceased working when a coil leak froze up at the blower (as diagnosed by the same HD sub-contractor who they called back). He explained that the problem at the blower was pre-existing, and had nothing to do with his original compressor replacement. He's attempting to locate a replacement coil for the single defective coil, but estimated replacing all coils which could be necessary if he can't find a single coil and could cost upwards of $2K. After they just spent $3k having compressor replaced.

At the same time the new unit crapped out, they also developed a thermostat problem at a second unit they have in their attic. That problem has already been fixed by the same tech. Each unit is controlled by its own thermostat, but I'm not sure if both systems could somehow tie together....

I find the timing of both problems suspect (though not unlikely), and am wondering if they are being sold a bill of goods. Feedback appreciated!

Reply to
Jim Conway

So he didn't properly diagnose the system. Thats gotta suck to have to pay for a noobs training

yes

Maybe its time to call somebody who knows WTF they are doing.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Whenever a compressor goes out, or any other part. It's nice to know WHY the part went out. Was there something wrong, that caused the compressor to strain, and finally quit?

So, he splices in a new compressor. That allows the chance to find out what was the original problem. Time to get the tech out a couple more times, to find out what else is wrong.

Typically with a frozen coil, you replace the entire evaporator coil. None of this "replace one coil, and come back for the rest". Within a system, the evaporator is an entire unit. So, that sounds a bit suspicious.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
new jersey

Why any mechanic/tech. would replace evaporator coil because it is freezing up can some one explain that to me please please please? tony

Reply to
new jersey

It depends on *WHY* it was freezing... like maybe it was full of leaks and low on refrigerant.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Yeh

Reply to
new jersey

What happens when the coil leaks refrigerant?????? And you *think* you're a refrigerant genius.... Bawhahahaha

Reply to
KJPRO

Possibly because it has an unrepairable leak. Sometime those coils start crumbling from corrosion. Try hitting it with a torch and it disintegrates.

Reply to
Don Ocean

That's like replacing an electrical extension cord because it provides the wrong voltage.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If system did not last but few days it means evaporator was leaking when he or she made the change, on other hand do we really know that evaporator is leaking or interconnect connection that was made. did tech check for acid in the system before change was made was it drier replaced which it could be clogged up causing coil to freeze up if evaporator open the leak on headers that could be repair with no to much of problem if Tech. is Tech. Did really Tech. find the leak or just said "coil is leaking it is not my problem" if coil is leaking where about is leaking in the fins can you get to it, Tech. should be able to point to customer exact spot and not just make arbitrary statement it is leaking it need to be replace. Perhaps that is type work you do but that is no way it should be done you should always make attempt to show customer what is all about.

You always posting question and critics, Do you ever gave positive answer You making me wonder if you know difference between suction and discharge I don't think so! So Bawahahahehehoho to You

Reply to
new jersey

Not necessarily. Old equipment can and do pop a leak whenever they damned well please. A couple of years back, I installed a complete new system. 4 days later the owner called andd was pissed. I found a rubber seal jammed into the suction valve allowing it to leak.. I got the customer to admit that he had put a cheapy gauge set on it to see where the pressure should be, so in future he might refill himself. He very unhappily paid for the second sevice, labor and materials. I also have pulled evaporators out of their trays to clean them and found you could stick a finger through both the drain trays and the evaporator.

on other hand do we really know

Thats bullshit too.. A bunch of years back Sears put put some evaporators in that had thousands of tiny leaks. You put dye in the system and throw a black light on it after a couple of hours run and it looked like millions of tiny fireflies.

Keep making that noise and some farmers is going to stick a milking machine on you.

Reply to
Don Ocean

You're the one that can't understand *why* a simple evap coil would freeze up.

Reply to
KJPRO

If the "tech" had bothered to check the evap coil *before* replacing the compressor, he would have probably seen that the tube sheets were rusted to hell and would have at least checked the damn thing before installing the new compressor. How hard is it to put a little trash gas from the recovery can in the system to do a leak check?? Its gonna be evacuated and have a new filter/drier installed anyway.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Love your sense of humor. How many usenet posters know what a milking machine is?

Ah, the perforated evaporators. No good.

Thanks for the field report, about the guy gaging his own system. I can easily believe that. And the he goes to top it off, when the ambient temp is about 20 degrees lower, and can't figure out why it's taking so much. And why the evap keeps freezing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Some compressor failures, there is still gas in the system. So, that's at least one demerit for the techh who worked on it, so far. A discharged system with a bad compressor, time to do some checking.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is it not possible that he did all of that? Shit happens? I refuse to condemn while the Jury is still out.

Reply to
Don Ocean

*Why* it keeps freezing?????? With excessive refrigerant?????? Hehehehehe.... one more of your clueless replies. Since you *pretend* on being an HVAC tech, *why* won't you go get some training??????
Reply to
KJPRO

Jury is still out on an 18 year old system??

Reply to
Noon-Air

That is slight different ball game isn't

He very

Reply to
new jersey