Bi-Flow Clean-up Filter Driers in Inverter Splits

What is the problem with placing bi-flow filter driers into the gas line of a inverter driven mini split system after or with a compressor replacement?
I find no fault in this man's suggestion. (With apologies to Ponteus Pilate.)
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Marc O'Brien wrote:

Marc;
You would have to use a "suction" filter drier. The external lineset on a minisplit is different from the conventional systems. Rather than a liquid line, the smaller line is a feed from the TXV in the outdoor unit. The larger line is a return line [suction during cooling.]
Otherwise, you would have to locate the liquid line [in both heating and cooling application] in the outdoor unit, cut and install a "bi-flow" liquid line drier there. But if you had a severe burn out, I would recommend one with high capacity carbon [usually designated HH].
What's the manufacturer suggest?
Good luck.
--
Zyp

Have no idea what you talking about but if you check with drier OEMs you find out that filters are made for liquid filtering and not for gas, in gas line are ineficient and that is why are never install in gas lines, however you can install them any place you wish, filters are also made for suction lines oil return lines but not for gas lines in refrigeration systems.

One time, the parts house suggested a vapor line filter. it was rather short, and a very wide cross section. Looked like the filter had swollowed a pizza pie.
Unlike the liquid line filters which look like a snake which has swollowed a wooden barrel.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Generally, after a compressor replacement, it is recommend that a suction line filter drier be installed. If it's a burn out, a high in carbon filter drier is used to help remove acidic particulate.
For the Old & Grumpy, the suction line contains vapor. It is highly NOT recommended to put any desiccant drier in the hot gas discharge line. Only in the liquid or suction lines.
Because of limited use of "flushing agents", most Manufacturer's don't recommend putting anything in a refrigeration system other than refrigerant and refrigeration oil. After 1990, the use of R-11 as a flushing agent was banned, [although a good remedy for cleaning and flushing burnt material from a burn out.]
Because of the metering devices, four way valves, and check valve [in some systems] desiccant driers are high recommended. Sometimes some Manufacture's recommend new four way valves as well for burn outs.
Good Luck Mr. O.P.
--
Zyp

I never said to use liquid line filter in suction I said that filters are made for suction and for oil!

Old & Grumpy wrote:

Hmmmm.......
--
Zyp

Anyway, I'm left wondering, what is the problem with placing a bi-flow filter drier into the gas-line of an inverter driven mini split system after or with a compressor replacement, or ever?
How, in this repect, would an inverter driven compressor system be different from a DOL single speed compressor mini-split system?
Marc O'Brien wrote:

Is it a Heat Pump? Or cooling only?
Paul feels it wouldn't matter as long as you use a Sporlan Catch - All. I'm not so hip on using a drier on the lineset outside of the outdoor unit. I'd put it in the common liquid line inside the outdoor unit. But that's just me.
--
Zyp