Belted Motors

What is the effect on the cfm when you downsize a residential blower belt. Does it increase or decrease it? At 2:00 AM, I had to use a 41 inch belt to replace a 42. The amp draw was right on, and the tension bar was fully extended with the

42", which leads me to beleive it was originally a 41.
Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Steve Scott

length of belt has nuthin to do with rpm & cfm. changing pulley size does.

Reply to
gofish

Bob, Did you use a night time belt with flourescent coating or just a plain daytime rubber belt? At 2:00 AM you should have used the night time flourescent coated belt. Hopefully you used the pulley expander and blower wheel strecher to properly install it? Dont forget to coat the vanes of the wheel with whale sperm. This will produce better air flow.

Sorry Bob, I couldnt resist. There will be no change in blower cfm unless the old belt was very stretched and loose and the new belt was put on tight. Then you would get a slight increase in blower speed/cfm due to the slippage of the old one. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Whale Sperm?

Where are you getting that stuff these days?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

HAHAHA

Those damn belted motors are tricky!

uhuh is the fan blowing the right way bobby?

LOL

-Canadian Heat

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote

I couldn't envision WHY the pulleys would react differently to varying lengths, but I wasn't sure. I thought I remembered something from long ago about it altering rpm in some way, but couldn't figure how it would. Thanks guys! OK, NOW I think it's safe to say that I know everything.... :-)

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Well, that's something to check for. Might have the belt on backwards.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

cool.

when do you know its time to change the pulley and not just the belt? :)

Reply to
gofish

When Colonel Sanders crosses the road instead of the chicken.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon