Basement Vents Open or Closed?

If the basement is not used for "living space," is it more energy efficient to have basement vents closed - so only the upstairs is heated or air conditioned - or is more energy efficient to have them open - so that the basement "insulates" the upstairs? Should a system be sized for conditioning just the upstairs or sized for both the upstairs and basement, which can obviously double the air volume to condition in a one-story home?

Thank you very much.

Reply to
poster3814

Very interesting question!!! I am interested in the answers from the residential guys. What say you? I'm talking heat only. Of coarse, were not closing vents on the AC system.

Barry

Reply to
Barry

Heating a basement will add to the overall operating cost. Yea sure, some of the heat will come up through the floor to help keep your floors warm and help heat the upstairs space. But you will also lose heat through the basement walls, floors, windows and doors. Whenever you increase the difference between the indoor and outdoor temperature the heat transfer increases. So it takes more energy to keep these spaces to temp. So the end result is increased operating cost. No two ways around it. The more space you heat, the more it is going to cost.

As far as cooling is concerned, do you want the basement conditioned? If not, why condition it? But to answer your question, if you don't want the basement conditioned... don't include it in your load calculation.

As to the "double air volume" comment, your basement is stuck in the ground. The ground temp is around 55 degrees F. The heat gain will come from appliances (in the basement) and the part that is above ground. For this reason, it takes much less to keep a basement cool.

Reply to
<kjpro

NO

Reply to
daytona°

Thank you very much for your reply. It seems very logical and informative.

Other helpful replies still welcome, too.

-- Please resp>> If the basement is not used for "living space," is it more energy

Reply to
poster3814

Interesting answer, considering my questions were "this or that" questions, not "yes or no" questions. ;)

-- Please resp> NO

Reply to
poster3814

YES

Reply to
daytona°

Is this better?

01001111 01001011 00100000 00001101 00001010 01000001 01110011 01110011 01101000 01101111 01101100 01100101

Reply to
Mo Hoaner

62 69 6e 61 72 79 20 73 75 63 6b 73 20
Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

Jeff...I used that combination and got the safe open...nothing it though

Reply to
daytona°