Bad inducer motor replacement?

First off hello to all those who read and post here. I am a newbie to this group but I was hoping for some opinion from those with more experience then me.

I have a Ruud gas pack furnace c.1996. About three weeks ago it started making a horrific noise and stopped heating. If I turned off the heat and just ran the fan it ran fine, so the main fan motor wasn't the problem. I got a number for a freelance HVAC guy who told me the draft-inducer blower was bad. I ordered a new one from electricmotorwarehouse.com and he came out and installed it for me. Presto! My heat had never worked so well. He showed me the old blower assembly and it was corroded beyond belief. only about one fourth of the squirrel cage was left, so I have no doubt that it was bad.

Then two nights ago I notice the house is a little chilly and check the thermostat. I could hear the "tick" sound indicating that the heat was supposed to be engaging, but the blower never turned on. When it was working the inducer motor would start as soon as the heat was supposed to engage I think. Again the fan is fine. The controls seem to be working. The HVAC guy came out yesterday and said the new inducer motor is bad.

My question is, is this a common thing? Are electric motors sometimes just bad and flake out after a couple of weeks, or do I have a deeper problem? The guy who came out said the controller board looked fine (we had the controller board replaced about two years ago.) Is there a rely or something that could have burnt this motor out? The old motor showed no signs of being burnt out. In fact it was still spinning even in its horribly corroded state. This new motor just doesn't seem to be doing anything. It's not locked up, if you spin it by hand it spins fine.

Reply to
TurningWorm

There is a reason to spend the money for OEM parts, and have them installed by a licensed professional. Can you say "warranty"??

Reply to
Steve

The blower is only 2 weeks old and the company I bought it from will replace it if it's faulty, so warranty isn't the problem. I was just wondering if bad motors are a common thing or if I should be concerned about.

For what it's worth, the replacement part was a Rheem-Ruud A241 by Fasco, which is exactly what was on the system, so either it's been replaced before, or this was an OEM part.

Reply to
OptimisTech

You should never hire a freelance hvac guy even if he is licensed and has professional training because ofentimes this will cause even OEM parts to rapidly fail.

Reply to
Bipolar Bear

Whoa, whoa, whoa.... Why did YOU supply the part? That's like going to your doctor and telling him you need a heart transplant and you're going to supply the heart.

You can buy spare hearts here

HVAC

Most of the folks who post to this list are techs. If you add up all the replies you get, and divide by three, the net result is to call a different tech, cause this one doesn't sound like he's got the experience to help.

Most of the techs on this list buy OEM or approved replacements, not some super discount that they find on the web. The OEM parts typically last longer.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Some of those fasco motors had a plastic bushing in them and were recalled. I suggest that your Service guy pull up all recall and field changes on your unit. If you cannot get proper service from a handyman and refuse to call A Ruud service guy Please don't expect us to give you free service. We are not here to train you or some handyman in our trade.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Freelance service guy needed his daily wine money. There is no such thing as a freelance service guy. You either are trained and licensed or you are not.

Reply to
Don Ocean

When parts fail prematurely, The Service company takes responsibility for warranty work. It will be a cold day in Hell before I install something a customer has purchased over the net.

Reply to
Don Ocean

I'd say don't buy your parts on eBay....

Reply to
Zyp

He got what he paid for

Reply to
Steve

Why not? You surely can get a service guy on Ebay.. ;-p

Reply to
Don Ocean

replying to Don Ocean, sg wrote: So, if you aren't here to provide guidance and answers to questions for people who have, for one reason or another (money, time, trying to be a do it yourselfer... whatever), chosen not to go with one of your persnickety companies, (which, by the way, I wouldn't hire any of you after seeing the way you talk to people), then what are you here for, exactly?

Reply to
sg

Wow, Don Ocean died 9 years ago after a Rudd furnace blew up while he was on a OEM service call.

Reply to
catalpa

catalpa posted for all of us...

And the gerbils were horrified!