Bad inducer motor replacement?

First off hello to all those who read and post here. I am a newbie to this group but I was hoping for some opinion from those with more experience then me.
I have a Ruud gas pack furnace c.1996. About three weeks ago it started making a horrific noise and stopped heating. If I turned off the heat and just ran the fan it ran fine, so the main fan motor wasn't the problem. I got a number for a freelance HVAC guy who told me the draft-inducer blower was bad. I ordered a new one from electricmotorwarehouse.com and he came out and installed it for me. Presto! My heat had never worked so well. He showed me the old blower assembly and it was corroded beyond belief. only about one fourth of the squirrel cage was left, so I have no doubt that it was bad.
Then two nights ago I notice the house is a little chilly and check the thermostat. I could hear the "tick" sound indicating that the heat was supposed to be engaging, but the blower never turned on. When it was working the inducer motor would start as soon as the heat was supposed to engage I think. Again the fan is fine. The controls seem to be working. The HVAC guy came out yesterday and said the new inducer motor is bad.
My question is, is this a common thing? Are electric motors sometimes just bad and flake out after a couple of weeks, or do I have a deeper problem? The guy who came out said the controller board looked fine (we had the controller board replaced about two years ago.) Is there a rely or something that could have burnt this motor out? The old motor showed no signs of being burnt out. In fact it was still spinning even in its horribly corroded state. This new motor just doesn't seem to be doing anything. It's not locked up, if you spin it by hand it spins fine.

There is a reason to spend the money for OEM parts, and have them installed by a licensed professional. Can you say "warranty"??
Steve wrote:

The blower is only 2 weeks old and the company I bought it from will replace it if it's faulty, so warranty isn't the problem. I was just wondering if bad motors are a common thing or if I should be concerned about.
For what it's worth, the replacement part was a Rheem-Ruud A241 by Fasco, which is exactly what was on the system, so either it's been replaced before, or this was an OEM part.

this
and
blower
came
He
only
it
just
problem?
installed
You should never hire a freelance hvac guy even if he is licensed and has professional training because ofentimes this will cause even OEM parts to rapidly fail.

OptimisTech wrote:

Some of those fasco motors had a plastic bushing in them and were recalled. I suggest that your Service guy pull up all recall and field changes on your unit. If you cannot get proper service from a handyman and refuse to call A Ruud service guy Please don't expect us to give you free service. We are not here to train you or some handyman in our trade.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.... Why did YOU supply the part? That's like going to your doctor and telling him you need a heart transplant and you're going to supply the heart.
You can buy spare hearts here www.storminmormun.com
HVAC wrote:

Freelance service guy needed his daily wine money. There is no such thing as a freelance service guy. You either are trained and licensed or you are not.

Most of the folks who post to this list are techs. If you add up all the replies you get, and divide by three, the net result is to call a different tech, cause this one doesn't sound like he's got the experience to help.
Most of the techs on this list buy OEM or approved replacements, not some super discount that they find on the web. The OEM parts typically last longer.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

When parts fail prematurely, The Service company takes responsibility for warranty work. It will be a cold day in Hell before I install something a customer has purchased over the net.

Don Ocean wrote:

I'd say don't buy your parts on eBay....
--
Zyp

He got what he paid for
Zyp wrote:

Why not? You surely can get a service guy on Ebay.. ;-p