B&Q Air Con

Did any one of you buy this unit? Or can give me information about how good it is?
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action tail&fh_secondid00407&fh_reftheme=promo_87041392%2cseeall%2c%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3c%7b8530236%7d&fh_start_index&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3c%7b8530236%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b8530241%7d&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=lister&ts73114438302
I live in London in a 1 bed basement flat. The bed-room window is very small and the living room window is big but if I open the window it can get very noise. I did not spent a summer in the flat so I don't know what to expect but it look's like there is no sufficient ventilation.
I don't want to buy an air con that will not work.
Can't install a permanent one
Cheers.

Why WOULD you buy an air con that doesnt work? That seems silly. Bubba

ct

Great response. Now if only you could answer the question.
On 21 Mar 2007 13:03:06 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Another admirer. How sweet. So what was your name last week? DANgER? :-) Bubba

Naw! Danger is tied up at an wrongful death inquest.... something to do with a jumpered-out safety.....
--
Respectfully, Bob

I've seen this type of device advertised in the US. What happens, heat can't be destroyed, only moved. So, there is usually a hose on the back that moves hot air out through a tube. You have to open a window enough to put the vent tube out the window. This means that outdoor air has to come in some how, to replace the hot air which is being sent out.
From what I've seen, 12,000 BTU per hour is about the largest unit that we have that will run on 110 volts, about 12 amperes current draw. Do you have 220 volts in the UK?
At 220 volts, this unit would draw perhaps 7 or 8 amps. Will your electrical system handle it?
Did you notice the price, of L400? That's about $800 US, which is a bit pricey. Since we can get a window AC at Walmart for about $100.
For a one bedroom flat, 16,000 BTU per hour may be a bit over sized. In the US, window AC start about 5,000 BTU. A couple fans would be desirable, to move the cold air around, so you don't have a cold spot near the unit, and warm every where else.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Unbelievable that anyone could be so fucking incredibly dense.

So at 110V you have 12A so that's 1320VA or about 1kW (electrical not kWR) allowing for pf of 0.8

at 220 V 1320VA this would be 6Amps and yes the poms cam handle this fairly easily.

should be more than ample except when he has a dozen or more friends over to party (like next time the poms win anything).
I'd suggest a better alternative if he's worried about noise is the "Oscar" portable minisplit. You hang the small condenser out the window leaving a gap just big enough for the electrical chord and frig lines then flash and stop up the rest of the gap with something to keep the rain out but allow a small plug so you can get a bit of OA when it's stuffy.
I was talking to my cousin in pommyland on skype the other night (*day there) and half way through he said - "Sorry... have to go... the sun's come out and I don't want to miss it!"