Automotive Superheat ?

My cars suction line has about five feet of bare aluminum tubing that is in the engine compartment and exposed to a huge amount of heated air flow (OEM) so all that superheat is part of the design.
Does anyone know why they let all that heat into the suction line or why its not a bad bad thing?
Thanks Dan
PS:) It's a R12 system and working fine. I am just curious. 8)

It's an open drive compressor and doesn't need the cooling like a electric driven compressor does. That and the fact that they way oversize the automotive a/c to compensate for the extreme heat loads in the summer. They also don't very much like liquid returning to the compressor as it may sweep the oil out and into the system.

I guess the lower efficiency from superheating is better than what it would cost to protect the insulation in those areas from damage. Looks odd with insulation missing only in the two places it needs it the most though.
Thanks Dan