attic question? vent or seal?

Hi guys. My wife and I are in the late planning stages of building our new home. I want it to be as energy efficient as possible. We are having a slight disagreement. We are going to use galvanized roofing.
I want foam insualtion in walls and attic. She is ok with that. What we disagree about is how to do the attic.
Her ex-husband is a HVAC contractor. He says we should use the " foam the underside of the roof, seal the attic and semi condition it" method. Our builder agrees.
My problem with that is, why would I want to semi condition an area the same size as my house if I am never going to use it for anything? I want to foam the attic floor, and make sure the attic is well venitaled. Why is allowing my warm and cold air (that I am paying to heat and cool) to migrate up into my attic a good idea? Isn't it more efficient to keep that expensive air in the house by well insulating the attic floor? I don't have any plans to ever use the attic, It wont have high enough ceilings.
We live inorth of Dallas, Texas where the summers can be brutal and the winters pretty damn cold
Can anyone give me advice on why my thoughts are wrong?
On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 08:40:41 -0800 (PST), Alim Nassor

    I think you just answered that, when you mentioned you have a wife :-)
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Alim Nassor wrote:

Get a wife whose ex is paying heavy duty alimony. The advice won't be so costly.

So out of a whole forum of supposedly expert HVAC guys this is the best advice to be given?
Aparently, so. I havn't got any real experience with insulation, so no advice from me. I see you've meet the welcome wagon, the troll under the bridge, and the yapping dog?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Alim Nassor wrote:

Sorry, but this is not an advice group. It is a group of hard working folks in the HVACR industry that needs a paycheck for their honest endeavors. We swap experiences and insults here in order to be the best we can be at our trade. Advice given to unknown capabilities can be disastrous and also create a liability. I highly recommend that you take you problems to an on site professional service company in your area. If you are destitute and cannot afford such a company, your State Heat assistance program will pay for it and more. In fact they can have a company out to your home within a couple of hours of your calling them. This program has been issued many $millions from the Federal stimulus program..plus the usual annual allocation. If you plan on redesigning your HVAC system to the max, I suggest that you approach an Architectural firm and have an Architectural Engineer design and certify the layout for your home. This will be with you for many a long mortgage year and you might as well have it done properly. Do keep in mind that locked in empty airspace also serves as an insulation and does not necessarily need conditioning. Common sense should tell you that you do not need to condition unused closed space that has no damageable materials or equipment. So instead of demanding a knowledge base from us, you should be tending your own patch and doing what will serve your dollar and family the best. I gotta go.. The Nuclear furnace in the sky is finally out and a Starbucks coffee is calling.

Goodgawd, give me a fukn break..... Altho, that was one impressive wad, yo.... How soon before you can recover and bust out another one like that??
--
EA

Existential Angst wrote:

Have you folks noticed the circle flies buzzing around that big pile of Angst?

50,000 flies couldn't be wrong. :-\

it involves a body shop and dirty stinky Socks... Oh, never mind..
Hey Fellows don't be hard on poor guy most of us been there. I will try to translate this for you!
Njemac kad ima zenu i ljubavnicu - on voli zenu. German men when he have wife and girlfriend - he loves his wife?
Francuz kad ima zenu i ljubavnicu - on voli ljubavnicu. French men when he have wife and girlfriend - he loves his girlfriend?
Talijan kad ima zenu i ljubavnicu - on voli mamu. Italian men when he have wife and girlfriend - he loves his mom?
Englez kad ima zenu i ljubavnicu - on voli susjeda. English men when he have wife and girlfriend - he loves his neighbor?
Hrvat kad ima zenu i ljubavnicu - on se voli napiti. Croatian men when he have wife and girlfriend - he loves to have a drink?
Americanac kad ina zenu i ljubavnicu - on cini ljubav sa obe dvije. American men when he have wife and girlfriend - he loves them both?
Taliban kad ima zenu i ljubavncu - on cini ljubav sa kamelom. Taliban when he have wife and girlfriend he is making love to camell?
---