Armstrong pump

Last Winter replaced a 1 1/2 horse pump, the new pump overloaded upon startup, managed to get thru heat season. The Baldor motor runs overloaded immediately, took it to motor shop, authorized by Armstrong, and the replacement motor did the same. [Thank goodness it showed up before reinstalling] Baldor is having both motors back to evaluate. I wonder if anyone else has experienced similiar problems.

Reply to
burner1941

I should have been more specific, this is a 1 1/2 hp Armstrong water circulator. What seems so odd is that it was purchased last December, installed in January of this year. The problems were immediate upon startup, and baby sitted throughout the Winter. Now, in July the replacement sent by Baldor is doing the same thing.

The motor shop has a test setup to allow the pump to be tested under load. Neither motor will accept any load, it runs with no load at near full load amps.

It just seems unreas> Do you know if this is the same motor that is used in the Trane XL90?

Reply to
burner1941

Burner,

I can't speak as to the pump but I am very certain... from personal experience dating back twenty years to this date... that Baldor engineers, manufactures and ships some of the best motors around.

I don't deal in the little motors much, but I'd suspect they are also very good quality.

If your question is for Baldor, just call their main office at (479)

646-4711 and ask for a support engineer. They're friendly and honest people... and they'll be eager to help.

In my experience... about 90% of new motor failures are due to overloading conditions presented by whatever the motor is coupled to... or incorrect coupling (misalignment or belts too tight). Closely-coupled pumps with bad or leaking seals will fail motor bearings very quickly.

Jake

Reply to
Jake

burner1941 posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Are you sure the pumps good? I think the motors going are a symptom of a bad pump. But I am guessing...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Jake & Tekkie

I agree that Baldor is quality and their integrity isn't questioned.

The Armstrong pump is brand new, ordered from the old identical one, to insure the impellar would be cut the same. I'm told by the motor shop the impellar isn't wrong, they checked that out, with specs from Armstrong.

They said the motor draws almost full load amps running on the bench, now they are saying the replacement is doing the same. Baldor asked for both motors back to check.

I was just wondering if anyone else experienced the same. It seems unlikely that with the time period, both motors being at fault, but yet it is.

The motor guy has about 30 some years experience, I'm in my 46th year. I'm still learning, just keep on realizing how little I know.

I will report back what is told to me from Baldor. This is all warranty work, I'm hoping to cry to Armstrong rep, and maybe get a little labor.

Reply to
burner1941