Are high merv filters a waste of money?

I was recently shocked at replacement cost ofMERV 16 filters for my new Len nox system. Are high merv filters worth it? What we really need to know is what is the difference in the quality of the air in the house when these fi lters are working and when they are not. HVAC systems in the the house only run episodically, and doors and window are constantly being opened. It may be that these low exchange rate unsealed systems cannot be filtered very e ffectively even using expensive high merv filters. Are we wasting our money ?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

IMO, I think so unless there is a speciaal reason. It'll restrict air flow too. We're fine with Merv 10 or 11. I buy then bulk at ~25.00 ea. Shipping is very reasonable, they are not heavy. I replace them twice a year. Our size is 16x25x5 in lieu of electronic cleaner which I shut down.
On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:00:06 PM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:

is what is the difference in the quality of the air in the house when thes e filters are working and when they are not. HVAC systems in the the house only run episodically, and doors and window are constantly being opened. It may be that these low exchange rate unsealed systems cannot be filtered ve ry effectively even using expensive high merv filters. Are we wasting our m oney?

Tony, thanks for your reply. I think I will take the same approach. Do you have specific suggestions for filter manufacturers?
David - Dallas
David Watkins wrote:

As an ex-Honeyweller, I always try to get Honeywell brand, LOL!