Arcing on connection to cap on Trane A/C compressor

Hi, So what is the Z of that capacitor on 60Hz circuit?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Isn't is amazing how old very well made equipment keeps on working year after year? Several years ago, I repaired an old Carrier AC condenser a fellow bought back in the 70's. It was a high end unit with stainless steel fasteners and no rust on it anywhere. It had a factory installed sight glass, high and low pressure cutouts, anti short cycle timer and a two speed condenser fan. The only thing wrong with it was the fan quit working. Another tech told him he needed a new unit and wanted to install a cheap builders/contractor grade replacement condensing unit. I replaced the fan motor with a (not cheap) two speed motor and the old Carrier with the insulation blanket around the compressor hardly made a sound when the fan was running at low speed at night when the ambient temperature was low enough. The darn thing should run another 20 years without a problem. Yes, I know the new stuff is more efficient but the old guy didn't have thousands of dollars to shell out.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Mine is an old Canadian Westinghouse unit. from 1974. Other than having the gas checked about 18 years ago and having half a pound added, the only problem we've had was a bad thermostat connection (which was the real problem when I had the gas checked).

Reply to
clare

You're responding to the wrong poster but that's cool(no pun). ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

73 ohms

In series with inductance is going to be different.

Greg

gregz

A high quality faston connection should withstand tugging.

High quality connections work very well, especially ones in a nice dry environment. I just find too many bad ones in poor environments.

You just never know.

Now if gm would stop, never, never, put connectors under battery boxes.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

So, Mr. Knows the Answer. How many amps flow throuch such a cap?

.

Your ignorance is showing....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's a pretty big compressor. Back in 90, were scrolls available? Or maybe rotary? Or did you have to put in a newer piston unit?

I bet the energy bill went down.

.

Around 1990, I came across an very old Westinghouse condensing unit with a pancake compressor in it which appeared to be 1950's and it was still cooling alright ; they wanted me to replace it to avoid a sudden breakdown and to save on electricity . It was a 3 ton capacity but the physical dimensions were approx. 5' wide x 5' long x 5.5' high . It was so heavy i had to cut it up into 3 pieces .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Compared to the compressor being served?

.

Compared to what? o_O

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've also had the chance to fix things. It's satisfying when it works right.

I do my best to pull on the plug, not the wire. I've jerked off plenty that weren't crimped properly. I try not to jerk off, on the job. And, I'm not pulling your cord. Chain. Whatever.

.

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There's a difference between selfish tech versus a customer service oriented tech. You are the finer of the two. The quality shows.

.

a two speed condenser fan. The only thing wrong with it was the fan quit working. Another tech told him he needed a new unit and wanted to install a cheap builders/contractor grade replacement condensing unit. I replaced the fan motor with a (not cheap) two speed motor and the old Carrier with the insulation blanket around the compressor hardly made a sound when the fan was running at low speed at night when the ambient temperature was low enough. The darn thing should run another 20 years without a problem. Yes, I know the new stuff is more efficient but the old guy didn't have thousands of dollars to shell out.

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I never cease to be amazed by the number and variety of different electrical connectors automotive manufacturers will try. The bullet connectors with clear vinyl coverings were a favorite of Asian auto companies for a long time but I haven't been under the hood of a new rice burner in a while so I don't know exactly what they're using now. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Anyone old enough to remember the connecter Chrysler used, that would randomly make the whole car's electrical go dead? Must have been sub contracted out to Lucas Electric. My parents had an Chrysler Imperial LeBaron that would die at random moments.

The TV show Emergency! had a similar problem with the Chrysler squad 51 truck. They even wrote that into an episode.

.

I never cease to be amazed by the number and variety of different electrical connectors automotive manufacturers will try. The bullet connectors with clear vinyl coverings were a favorite of Asian auto companies for a long time but I haven't been under the hood of a new rice burner in a while so I don't know exactly what they're using now. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It will depend on the type of cap, and the voltage rating.... 35mfd caps come in voltage ratings from .5v to 50,000v.....

As far as the current handling capabilities of spade terminals, they are sufficient to run a 5 ton scroll compressor. They just need to be clean and tight. If the system is grossly over charged, it will cause the compressor shell to sweat... moisture gets into the terminals, that causes corrosion, that causes resistance, that causes heat, that causes the terminals to burn.

But......... these are things that you just haven't figured out yet, because its part of a complete system assesment, as opposed to just washing out the condenser coils.

Reply to
Steve

I'm looking for a number, in amperes, please. Didn't think you knew.

.

It will depend on the type of cap, and the voltage rating.... 35mfd caps come in voltage ratings from .5v to 50,000v.....

As far as the current handling capabilities of spade terminals, they are sufficient to run a 5 ton scroll compressor. They just need to be clean and tight. If the system is grossly over charged, it will cause the compressor shell to sweat... moisture gets into the terminals, that causes corrosion, that causes resistance, that causes heat, that causes the terminals to burn.

But......... these are things that you just haven't figured out yet, because its part of a complete system assesment, as opposed to just washing out the condenser coils.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

what voltage??

Reply to
Steve

How many voltages are provided for the outdoor unit of a residential Trane?

Still didn't think you knew.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon