Arcing on connection to cap on Trane A/C compressor

Page 2 of 2
The rest of the world uses push on terminals for caps. Must work for the rest of the world.
A cap that's 35 micro farad isn't going to handle a lot of current.
solder wires directly to cap by using a pig tail
i repair machines for a living that draw high current, if you replace a switch its best to replace the terminals too

Your ignorance is showing....
So, Mr. Knows the Answer. How many amps flow throuch such a cap?

Your ignorance is showing....

It will depend on the type of cap, and the voltage rating.... 35mfd caps come in voltage ratings from .5v to 50,000v.....
As far as the current handling capabilities of spade terminals, they are sufficient to run a 5 ton scroll compressor. They just need to be clean and tight. If the system is grossly over charged, it will cause the compressor shell to sweat... moisture gets into the terminals, that causes corrosion, that causes resistance, that causes heat, that causes the terminals to burn.
But......... these are things that you just haven't figured out yet, because its part of a complete system assesment, as opposed to just washing out the condenser coils.
I'm looking for a number, in amperes, please. Didn't think you knew.

It will depend on the type of cap, and the voltage rating.... 35mfd caps come in voltage ratings from .5v to 50,000v.....
As far as the current handling capabilities of spade terminals, they are sufficient to run a 5 ton scroll compressor. They just need to be clean and tight. If the system is grossly over charged, it will cause the compressor shell to sweat... moisture gets into the terminals, that causes corrosion, that causes resistance, that causes heat, that causes the terminals to burn.
But......... these are things that you just haven't figured out yet, because its part of a complete system assesment, as opposed to just washing out the condenser coils.
what voltage??

How many voltages are provided for the outdoor unit of a residential Trane?
Still didn't think you knew.

I spent many years working on various electrical equipment. Crimp failure is most common. Even a good crimp using stranded wires can eventually fail. The crimp overheats, and overheats the push on connector. The whole thing needs replaced as the original wire cannot be easily reused.
Greg
On 2/25/2012 12:13 PM, gregz wrote:

High quality crimp and Faston connectors last the life of the equipment. The cheap imported junk that shows up in many of today's products might tolerate one or two removal/reinserts before traveling down the road to failure but those from 3M, T&B and Panduit rarely fail unless abused. Removing a Faston connector by pulling it out by the wire instead of grasping the body with needle nose pliers can loosen the crimp and spring the connector if it's pulled off at an angle. How many of us are guilty of yanking a Faston off by jerking on the wire?(no sex pun) I see a lot of improper crimps especially those done in the field and it's depressing especially since the proper tools are readily available. Crap work done by incompetents makes me angry at times but following them and fixing what they destroy keeps me working. ^_^
TDD

A high quality faston connection should withstand tugging.
High quality connections work very well, especially ones in a nice dry environment. I just find too many bad ones in poor environments.
You just never know.
Now if gm would stop, never, never, put connectors under battery boxes.
Greg
On 2/25/2012 8:44 PM, gregz wrote:

I never cease to be amazed by the number and variety of different electrical connectors automotive manufacturers will try. The bullet connectors with clear vinyl coverings were a favorite of Asian auto companies for a long time but I haven't been under the hood of a new rice burner in a while so I don't know exactly what they're using now. ^_^
TDD
Anyone old enough to remember the connecter Chrysler used, that would randomly make the whole car's electrical go dead? Must have been sub contracted out to Lucas Electric. My parents had an Chrysler Imperial LeBaron that would die at random moments.
The TV show Emergency! had a similar problem with the Chrysler squad 51 truck. They even wrote that into an episode.
I never cease to be amazed by the number and variety of different electrical connectors automotive manufacturers will try. The bullet connectors with clear vinyl coverings were a favorite of Asian auto companies for a long time but I haven't been under the hood of a new rice burner in a while so I don't know exactly what they're using now. ^_^
TDD
gregz posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

You mean the the Chevvy Jolt?
--
Tekkie

I've also had the chance to fix things. It's satisfying when it works right.
I do my best to pull on the plug, not the wire. I've jerked off plenty that weren't crimped properly. I try not to jerk off, on the job. And, I'm not pulling your cord. Chain. Whatever.
I see a lot of improper crimps especially those done in the field and it's depressing especially since the proper tools are readily available. Crap work done by incompetents makes me angry at times but following them and fixing what they destroy keeps me working. ^_^
TDD
On 2/25/2012 8:55 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Compared to what? o_O
TDD
Compared to the compressor being served?

Compared to what? o_O
TDD
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hi, So what is the Z of that capacitor on 60Hz circuit?

73 ohms
In series with inductance is going to be different.
Greg
http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/calc/reactance-calculator.php