Aprilaire 6303 CP/Braeburn thermostat

Page 1 of 2
We've got a all electric heat pump system in our house. I recently turned on the heat through my braeburn 1200 model thermostat. The compressor turned on outside and the air handler started up in our attic. We got air blowing out of the registers but it's cold air. It won't get above 70 degrees, even when I switch on the emergency strip heat.
I went upstairs to the air handler, removed the cover for the control panel and noticed there is a red light emitting from next to the "B" terminal (which is labeled for the reversing valve). Funny thing is, there is NO wire going into that terminal.
Any thoughts please?
-------------------------------------
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 26455 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
On 26 Oct 2008 22:48:09 GMT, gbidruglord_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (gbidruglord) wrote:

Yeah, something is broken.
gbidruglord had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/hvac/Re-Aprilaire-6303-CP-Braeburn-thermostat-35152-.htm : what a maroon@localhost wrote:

-------------------------------------
I figure something is broken, but I had a hope that this has happened to somebody else who could shed some light on it for me without having me have a repairman come out.
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 26460 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
On 27 Oct 2008 04:42:04 GMT, gbidruglord_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (gbidruglord) wrote:

Which just proves your another cheap ass bastard. Go ahead and fuck with it. See if I care that you'll end up spending twice as much. Your welcome.
hvacgirl33 had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/hvac/Re-Aprilaire-6303-CP-Braeburn-thermostat-35157-.htm : It is too bad that some people have to be so hateful. They are obviously not very happy people. Hopefully, some nice person will come on that has had a similar problem and shed some light for you. There are also a few honest HVAC contractors out there. Good luck.
------------------------------------- what a maroon@localhost wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 26477 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
The folks here are trying to make a living. That's hard to do while at the same time telling people, for free, how to do their own repairs.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Maybe they would make a better living by being less ugly to people. I forget though that some people do not have that ability. ------------------------------------- Stormin Mormon wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 26479 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/hvac/Re-Aprilaire-6303-CP-Braeburn-thermostat-35174-.htm
My customers call me, and a lot of new customers call me... I respond in a professional manner. If the cheap assed boneheads that come in here wanting it for free were *my* customers, they wouldn't be posting in here in the first place.
hvacgirl33 had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/hvac/Re-Aprilaire-6303-CP-Braeburn-thermostat-35187-.htm : Thank you SIR for validating all of my previous assumptions about many HVAC contractors. (Other readers, please don't misunderstand, I live with someone in the HVAC business and have at least 2 contractors that are great contractors and great friends.)Your response, SIR, is very illuminating and solidifies my opinion about many contractors I am very familiar with in this business who are so benighted, misanthropic, acrimonious, and opprobrious, that they miss the point in almost every instance in which someone is trying to give constructive feedback. I am sure that you are a true hero to your customers :). It looks like this gentleman (who asked a reasonable question about a problem in his home, and was attacked so mercilessly by other "happy people" as yourself), has received a reasonable response to his question from someone who is kind enough to answer him, so he is no longer in need of your assistance. I applaud the gentleman that came forth, rose above the attack mongers, and tried to help this person with the problem. Have a great day SIR....if you can.....
------------------------------------- Steve wrote:

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/hvac/Re-Aprilaire-6303-CP-Braeburn-thermostat-35174-.htm
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 26495 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
askboyd had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/hvac/Re-Aprilaire-6303-CP-Braeburn-thermostat-35174-.htm : Excuse me Mr Young, I am an advocate of civility. I would like to remind you that you are in no way obligated to answer any question on this or any other forum.
The original poster asked a question, and I am pretty sure he was not out to pick a fight. Just pick up your manometer and get out there and make a living and stop worrying about it. I am amazed at the few who get up on their soapbox and growl about the do-it-yourselfer. They belong to the "5%" They are the 5% that are never going to call you, so stop wasting emotion.
Have a nice day. askboyd
------------------------------------- Stormin Mormon wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 26480 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
On Oct 28, 9:42am, "Stormin Mormon"

I do not agree. I would choose a contractor that is helpful over one who is not. I expect the one who is helpful would be easier to work with. From reading this group, I would only pick one or two of the people here if they were in the area where I live. The rest seem too intent on making jokes and bragging about how hard it is to become a HVAC tech. You would think it is easier to become a rocket scientist if you believed their posts.
Dan

I do not agree. I would choose a contractor that is helpful over one who is not. I expect the one who is helpful would be easier to work with. From reading this group, I would only pick one or two of the people here if they were in the area where I live. The rest seem too intent on making jokes and bragging about how hard it is to become a HVAC tech. You would think it is easier to become a rocket scientist if you believed their posts.
------------------------------
So you would call some hack that doesn't have a clue and cost you many hundreds of dollars more than what you should have paid, and still don't have the original problem fixed?? just because he was nice or helpful??
Knock yourself out..... when you get tired of getting screwed over by somebody that was nice or helpful , instead of somebody that actually knows what they are doing, then give us a call.
You can get it done "cheap" or you can get it done right.
Now...before you get your panties in a wad, you need to ride with a *competent* tech for a week and *SEE* first hand what kind of crap we run across on a daily basis because of low bidders and home-owners screwing with stuff they don't have a clue about.

I did not say anything about hiring a hack. What I said is that I would hire someone like GeothermalJones who seems to be intelligent and helpful, rather that someone like Bubba, who seems to be mostly interested in how much money he can get. Bubba may be just as competent and just as fair in his pricing, but he does not project the feeling that he is trying to give the customer the best value.
My wife did the books for a builder, Walt Johnson. He was not the cheapest builder, in fact he was known as being a bit more expensive than most builders. But he worked with his clients and all his clients were glad they hired Walt because they got what they paid for and had a minimum of hassles. If you decided you wanted a larger room, he would let you know about what it would cost, and if you still wanted it, you would get your bigger room. You would not get any comments on how dumb the change was, or how much labor and material was lost because the decision was made after the house was started. If there was a way that some material could be reused so that the customer saved some money, Walt would explain what could be done. Most of the houses he built were billed on time and material. Often he would be able to come in a bit lower on changes than the price he told people.
Walt was very successful. When he started working, he worked in a body shop. Then he owed a body shop. Then three body shops. Then he built houses. Retired when he was about 45 and restored old cars for people.
And so you run into a lot of situations where low bidders did a poor job, and you run into home owners that did stupid things. So what. That is all stuff already done. So why whine about it? Why not explain what needs to be done now and get an agreement with the customer on what is to be done. Make the customer feel like he now has someone working to help the customer. Don't make the customer feel like you are like the last guy that screwed things up.
Dan
Dan
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 20:27:27 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

Dan, It works like this: I dont solicite business from the internet, especially a newsgroup. I have never claimed nor ever will claim to be the cheapest. I cant tell you how many times Ive heard a customer tell me or someone I know that I am expensive or too expensive. I dont care. Its the quality they always come back for. Ive had two customers like that just this past week. They hired the cheap hack, thought they were getting a deal and wound up calling me back. I do it right and I do it right the first time. It doesnt take me 5 calls to fix a problem. For someone that is competent in this business (it aint rocket science) it is a piece of cake but it does take someone that knows what they are doing. Im fair but Im not cheap. I do this for a living. I dont do this because I want to see how long I can work everyday and weekend for free. By the way, Im not looking for you as a customer either so............... Bite me! :-) Bubba

I agree that the internet is a poor place for HVAC people to solicit business. The number of people that frequent this group and live in your area are probably very few. And I don't believe in being the cheapest either. As I said Walt was not the cheapest. I also believe in being fair to the customer. So we agree on the major things.
Just do not believe in making rude comments to people that ask for advice. They are already in pain from something going wrong.
Your response was excellent right up to the " bite me ". If I were in your area, I would look you up. You are probably better in person than the impression I get over the internet.
Dan
On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 07:27:03 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

Dan, Internet is a "play" area. Dont get so serious in here. You need to have a thick skin, especially in alt.hvac. Thats just the way it is. HVAC is a brutal world. There are plenty of stuipd, mean and ridiculous customers out there. You just play it like a game. Do the best job you possibly can and dont try to think that you can make everyone, everywhere happy all the time. It just doesnt happen. Now, like I said......... "Bite Me!" :-) ( you do see the little smiley, dont you? <-----) Bubba
(ransley. You can Bite Me twice biatch)

You need to

My skin is fairly thick and I was prepared for a much nastier reply than what you sent. I have a reasonable feel for the internet and use groups , but admit alt.hvac does require a bit thicker skin than most groups. My first contact with the internet was before there were browsers when I had a Radio Shack Color Computer and a 300 baud acoustic modem. I am old old old. Dan

You need to

My skin is fairly thick and I was prepared for a much nastier reply than what you sent. I have a reasonable feel for the internet and use groups , but admit alt.hvac does require a bit thicker skin than most groups. My first contact with the internet was before there were browsers when I had a Radio Shack Color Computer and a 300 baud acoustic modem. I am old old old.
My first contact with the internet was in 1973 when I was in high school... the school had a Model 28 TTY terminal that was connected by direct land line to the mainframe at Stanford University. My first encounter with digital language was Morse Code when I got my HAM license the first time.

BFD. I have an etcha sketch. I am ftwhd and I aapprove this message

So there are some other old guys here. My first contact with computers was in a college course in 1958. About the same time you were in high school, I was the lead engineer of the computer group at the Saturn 1b breadboard in Huntsville, Ala. But no internet connection until much later.
Dan