And this doesn't add up

Got a call from a customer, this morning. Says needs an estimate to fix an AC, cause the compressor got damaged.

He gave me the adress, and the name and phone. I recognize the street in Rochester, and it's not a great place to be.

I asked his name. Gave me, and it's different than the name of the woman who lives there. So, i asked. No, he doesn't live there. He's the landscaper who did the damage.

The call ID on my phone is different than the number he gave me for call back. I did a quick net search on it, and it's the Developmental Disabilities Office. Hmm.

I called the phone he gave me, for the customer. The recording says the voice mail box is full. Called a second time, same message.

He wants an estimate for the insurance company. I'm wondering if I want to drive across town, to look at this job? Sounds like a time waster.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yep, Weed-whacked the lineset and lost all the freezone. Insurance company may cough up some cash about 8 months from now if your lucky and don't get shot first.

Reply to
kool

Stormy, make sure when you cut the copper lines with your tubing cutter, you rotate the cutter around the tubing. Otherwise the tubing will be crushed, not cut. I bet you did not know that. I lent my cutter to a friend a while ago and he did not know he had to do that, so he complained to me my cutter was no good.

maybe the nice folks at the disabilities center will take you in and help you. We all know you need all the help you can get.

Reply to
DIMwit

$130 up front for such a damage appraisal. Deducted from the actual job On insurance actual jobs..60% up front before work is accomplished. 30 day account with $50 penalty each preceding month plus 12% interest compounded monthly. All court collection cost to be born by the insured. This is a contract signed and sealed with cash before you turn a wheel. If your charging a fair price.. Your not going to get the job anyway. Insurance companies tend to hire trailer park hacks at minimum wage.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Dear Don, Sounds like you have the experience and wisdom. Your last sentence was the clincher "insurance tend to hire min wage hacks".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That general idea. It wasn't Miss Marple in the parlor with a candlestick, it was the landscaper on the side of the house with a roto tiller. But, there is a murder mystery in progress in any case.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Tubing cutter is a waste of money Tin shears, or sawzall is much quicker.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So, you should have no poblem getting in with them.

Reply to
KJPRO

Axe or meat cleaver saves a lot of expensive labor time and you sell them a new virgin lines set ;-p

Reply to
Don Ocean

I'm partial to chain saws.

Reply to
Gary

There is a lot to be said for quick and easy technique like that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not me.. Resharpening them is a pain in the ass. A good one stroke meat cleaver is the coolest. Its gives the pleasure of really being hands on. Old fashioned craftsmanship like that is rare. ;-p

Reply to
Don Ocean

Does he have to sell all 72 of them?

Reply to
Mo Hoaner

Stormy, You are a friggin nutball anyway. Why on earth would you go out and give a free estimate on a REPAIR? I dont care if you had a service call right next door. They still get charged. Charge a regular service call to go out and look it over. THEN make a repair estimate. If they want the repair done, you can credit the service call towards it (if you want). Otherwise, take the check/cash for your time and trip and tell them to have a nice day. Now if they would like to bring the entire split system to you THEN you may wish to give them a free estimate. Bring your level of service up out of the dirt and get with the program. Its a business and a very good one. You can make a very good living at it if you get some training. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba