American Standard or Trane

Help me Rhondas! My gc is not too forthcoming. the original hvac company hired is going oob. gc hired replacement -- who wants to install AS condenser and a/h. I had estimates for Trane equip. I'm finally sticking my nose into this (mostly because I have no estimate from _anyone_ for the replacement's work).
So, I know T and AS (merged) but who bought who? It seems like Trane bought AS. Is there a fire-sale going on for AS equipment?
In general, in your esteemed opinion, is the AS equipment equivalent in performance & price to the T? In particular the AS air/handler? (Apparently the replacement can get Trane XLi equip).
Thanks. From a chilly room in the NE.
AS and Trane are virtually the same, same controls, same paint , just different labels ,

Am Std owns Trane... Both built in the same plants, are virtually identical, are labeled differently. AUX=TUX, AUY=TUY, etc... TWE air handlers are same under both names... Am Std is less expensive as Trane has the name...
goodluck geothermaljones st.paul,mn.

Thanks for the head's up, all. And here I thought AS just made my power-assisted jet toilet... On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 23:37:42 -0600, "geothermaljones"