Amazing HVAC Techs

The correct question is "Do I care?". Your insults are rank amateur by the way.

Weak.
Lame
I'm also free to stay.
Try harder next time. I almost summoned enough energy for a yawn...
Rich
--
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I
tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I

Your statement below leads me to believe that you are dumber than a box of rocks, James. Bubba
On 22 Nov 2006 06:29:50 -0800, "jamesgangnc"

WTF exactly do you mean it's not a science? Thermodynamics = Science Air Flow calculations = Science Analysis and correction of any issue in a system requires a scientific approach to determine if the cause is electrical, mechanical, or chemical in origin. To do otherwise is known - not just in the HVAC field either - as shotgunning it.

Yeah... Say that next time a reversing valve gets sticky. What about all the Ho Moaners that have major problems - up to and including damage - with something as simple as replacing a thermostat?

Moaner is qualified to do, there is absolutely no issue with fuel gas or refrigerant. You are not going to get yourself hurt hosing the dog piss off the condenser before it eats the aluminum, or changing filters. Hey, a real smart one might even know how to do a halfway decent job of cleaning an evaporator coil, pan, and drain line, or change a thermostat

Sounds like you found the lowest bidder. Congrats Bubba
Bubba wrote:

    OK, I will bite. Just HOW is a homeowner/customer supposed to know if a bidder is truthful when he says he does "Quality work?" I confronted him with exactly what I expected before he even looked at the task. Knowing what I expected, he made a bid. With that bid, I would expect a profit for himself.
    Often when someone like myself asks the opinion of those like yourself who profess to know your work and do quality work, you ridicule the person asking the question. Then if the HVAC craftsman does a poor job, you do not criticize the "Professional," but the one who hired him.
    I do not put all HVAC people in the same group, but your profession is filled with more than your share of people who either do not know or do not care. On my prior AC system I had a "Pro" check out one of my condenser units some 30 years ago because it was not starting. Since the unit was only one year old at the time, I felt it was still under warranty. He came to the house, never even took out a voltmeter and diagnosed the problem as needing a new compressor. When I said "Replace it, it is under warranty," he told me only the parts were covered and the labor would be $400. Five minutes after he left, I fixed it myself. The leads from the thermostat going to the contactor were corroded and not making contact. The unit continued to run for some 29 years after that.
    Now I do not profess to know all that a HVAC professional should know. But there are many problems that are simple if you have a little knowledge of electronics. Only a fool would fail to call someone knowledgeable when he was dealing with something beyond his competence.
    In my opinion those of your profession posting in this news group would be wiser to criticize the incompetent professionals rather than blast someone looking for advice. When I worked with electronic technicians who were incompetent, I felt they made me look bad because that was my field.

So lemme take a look at this. You asked a guy that was going to sell you a "bill of goods" if he was good at what he did. He said "Yes" and you believed him? You're a freaking ding-bat. Have you heard of references? Did you do your home work? Did you check out his work either with satisfied customer phone calls or actually going and looking at his work he did somewhere? NO, I think not. You're lazy and you want it handed to you on a silver platter. Aint goina happen, Gringo.

Exactly. You hired him. If you did your homework correctly you wouldnt have a problem. Stop this blaming shit on us. If you want it done right you have to spend some time checking references.

As with any and every other profession out there. Gee, Ive never heard of a bad car mechanic, doctor, lawyer, car salesman, investment advisor, stock broker, president, etc. etc.

Once again, you are telling me you found the biggest cheapest crook on the block. "Pro" you say? Bullshit, I say. What did you do. Open the yellow pages and pick the biggest ad? That was the extent of your homework. And 30 yrs ago you did the same amout of homework you are doing today. I guess some people like you just never learn.

You sure you arent an Engineer? Bubba
Bubba wrote:

    Are you saying that a licensed HVAC person should NOT have been believed??? Often the accusation is made that the customer did not make clear what he wanted or expected. I did so, and he LIED just to get the job. THIS is my fault????????

    I am a ding-bat for believing what he said? Am I also one for believing YOU??

    Did YOU read the previous comments I posted about how I asked my neighbors about reputable HVAC personnel??? You seem to be admitting that there are too many licensed people performing the HVAC job who are not doing good work? With THAT I agree. What I do not agree with, is that it is the total responsibility of the customer to discover who these people are before they hire them.
    If you took your car to someone to have it serviced, and made it clear exactly what you wanted, would it be YOUR fault if the mechanic did poor work??? I think NOT!!! I don't blame you for trying to defend someone in your trade, but I also believe you do yourself a disservice by defending the indefensible.

    No, I called the company whose name was on the installation brochures. I thought that someone who had installed the units would be more familiar with them than someone who had not. Remember, I had only been in the house (NEW by the way) for about a year.
That was the extent of your

    I find it interesting that you do not even address the fact that the serviceman was perpetrating a fraud by suggesting work that was NOT needed. Loyalty to others in your profession is one thing, but defending the indefensible is shameful.

    No, but I am beginning to feel qualified to hang out a shingle for HVAC work!!!

Was it the owner of the company that came out?? or just some flunky wanna be tech, collecting a paycheck on commissions?? You should have politely said "Thank you", then called the company back and told them to send out a *REAL* tech, not just a compressor sales person. You can't diagnose *ANYTHING* without actually checking and taking measurements. But then you already knew that, right??

You actually believed the compressor sales person when he didn't even take a meter off the truck??

Did you not tell him exactly what you wanted and not even give him a chance to diagnose the problems??

Did you not tell him exactly what you wanted and not even give him a chance to diagnose the problems??

And you have not yet had the system serviced in a year??? Oh, thats right... the house is only a year old.... probably a "spec house" done by the lowest bidder.

No fraud if you told him what was wrong with it and you told him what you wanted. He was just following your directions.

Knock yourself out... The City of Hattiesburg, MS won't even talk to you about a license unless you are a *MASTER TECH* with a minimum of 2 years of college/tech school and 5 years of OJT working for a Master Tech. I don't know where your at, but the requirements keep getting tougher.
Noon-Air wrote:

    The OWNER of the company.

    We seem to be mixing two different events. The event above dealt with the complete replacement of my heating and AC units after having been in service for 30 years.
    The diagnosis of a faulty compressor occurred only one year after those old units were originally installed. That WAS diagnosed without taking measurements. That person DID NOT own the company.

    Your point is right on, I DID NOT believe him. That is why I asked him to leave and fixed it myself. I knew he was not obtaining enough information to effectively make such a diagnosis. He was apparently on a commission and wanted to sell something.

    I am again talking about the installation of the new units. I pointed out the installation problems and he DID correct them. There wasn't much to diagnose.
    One problem was he installed the gas cutoff valve for the furnace between two pieces of flexible tubing. If I am not mistaken, the gas cutoff valve is required to be attached to rigid pipe.
    Another problem was a duct was so poorly connected to the plenum that you could insert your finger in the gap. His solution was to duct tape over the gap. My solution was to narrow the gap with sheet metal.
    Yet another problem was using wire nuts to splice a short Romex cable going to the furnace. Then he wrapped the wire nuts with Duct tape rather than enclose the connections in a electrical box.
    I could cite others, but you get the idea.

    Before he even bid on the job, I told him I expected a quality job. Also, that if he could not do it, he should not even bid. He promised a quality job and then inspected for what was needed. After that he made his bid, and I paid him what he asked. I did not squeeze him for a lower price.

    Again, you seem confused about the two different events. The bad compressor diagnosis occurred some 29 years ago when the house was almost new. The unit that failed to start was only one year old at that time. It was this unit that he said needed a new compressor. It is this unit that I fixed in five minutes and continued to run for 29 years!!
    The replacement of the heating and AC units occurred about six months ago after the original units had been in service for 30 years. It is this job that was bid on and promised to be a "Quality" job. I hope this clarifies the situation.

    HE told me the compressor was bad. He was WRONG! For as you said, he could NOT have diagnosed the problem without having taken any measurements. I never told him what was wrong or what to do.

very few jobs today that do not require training and some degree of expertise. If you are a good HVAC person and do good work, more power to you. I wish they all did.
    I studied for many years to be able just to learn my trade, and the learning never ended. But I thought those who failed to take pride in their job like I did were giving my trade a bad name. I hope you see it the same way.

Exactly! It's your fault. If I told you that I am the President are you really going to believe me just because I said so?? Dont be so gullable. You are the one making a decision. YOU have to make it an informed one.

to do whatever the hell you want with it. Check it our or dismiss it. Its totally up to you.

Yes, I read your previous comment. Licensed? Hell, if you really look you will see that most of them are not. That's a quick tip they arent professional. You can disagree with me all you want that its not your responsibility to discover the right guy but in the end it is your money. You can piss it away foolishly or you can do your homework and find "the right guy".

Yes, for the most part it would. I would first do my homework on what establishment I want doing my repair work. Then I would check which mechanic was better/worse. Ive done it. Takes a bit of time but it works. I had one at a Ford dealer stick a BB in a vacuum line to my EGR valve to stop it from backfiring. I found the BB and had a field day with them. Took it back and showed the mechanic and the manager. Lots of jaws dropping but in the end I got it fixed and fixed right.

SEE! You proved my point once again. You did no checking of references. You went down to the furnace, looked at the name on the brochure and figured all would be well. No checking whatsoever and you got exactly what you asked for. Familiar?? No. You had an installer install it and a tech to come out and fix it who never saw your furnace since he didnt install it. He just fixes them. And by the way, a year is more than enough time to check out a good HVAC company.

Now your being just plain fuckin stupid. Id NEVER claim loyalty to someone in this business perpetrating fraud. IF you were screwed you need to handle it. Thats what lawyers are for (or at least are supposed to be for). Im not the one that got hosed. You are. Deal with it and handle it. Just last week I turned in a guy that had no Masters, no Occupational and was doing work in broad daylight on the side. He was breaking the law. I have all the credentials and follow the law (as best I know). He didnt. This was the 2nd time I caught him. His court date is coming and from what I understand, he is going to jail. Sorry bout his luck.

Cool. Start your own business. Its soooooooooooooooo easy. Everyone can do it. Bubba
In defense of Bubba,
During a moment of soberness, he made an excellent post on how to find competent HVAC professionals.
His advice was to call the local hardware dealers and ask which company they would use. Since that time, I have developed a feeling of respect for him.
It is just unfortunate that I have a preconception about people called Bubba.

Now let me, let you in on a secret. My real name isnt Bubba. I hope this doesnt disappoint you too much. :-) Oh, and one more thing. I dont need you defending me. I do quite well all by myself, thank you. Bubba
Bubba wrote:

    Dear Bubba,
    I think you should re-read your posts. You might just decide you should take him up on the "Defending" part. Then again if you read ONLY your posts and nothing else, they might make sense to you?

Dear Ken, Some of us understand English. Others of us don't. You'll just have to "get by" somehow stumbling along. Bubba

but you have to step on side my friend, I believed that I am older then you that makes me "Grouch # 1" Have Happy holiday DIDO
">>>

So, Dido, how old are you? I am 63 going on 64. Happy turkey day to you too.
Bob

day to you and yours DIDO

Just got to www.thehvacmedic.com all the free no hassle advice you want.