Am I being lied to?

Page 3 of 3

I notice the older guys and hvac business owners feel threatened by diyers, their workers on the other hand, seem tickled that you are taking an interest in learning what they are doing, and have no problem sharing their knowledge.
For me, I found a guy that has no problem checking and starting up a system. I may still hire someone to mount the inside unit though, it's either that or build a jig to hold it in place while I make tubing connections. They sell a pretty nifty one for less than $100, and the design (plastic) is something I could easily turn out in wood.
On 8/22/2016 9:22 AM, default wrote:

That is only certain workers that hope you fuck up good and they can moonlight at contractors rates.. Most companies have non-Moonlighting clauses and will fire and blacklist any such moonlighting worker. Me..I could care less if you screw up as long as you don't hurt others. What you do to yourself is KARMA.

So ? Why are you babbling that here. Do what you are going to do and no one wants to know or care. Jeez..One would thing your have just solved "Cold Fusion"!
I do hope you got a permit? Fine here is $250 to $3,000.
On 8/19/2016 10:09 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

Wrong..Some do.... In fact some of the early ones even had moderators. It depends on the hierarchies.
It is a moot question anyway. alt.hvac has been acused by your kind of being maverick and illegal..Mostly due to its being voted on twice. First time was before changes were made and the second time after changes were made and then only to insure moral legality. I do not understand your interest as you have a history of malfeasance of your own. End of Conversation.. So sue the Net...

Yup he's lying to me alright. He gave me a quote and included running a 30 amp circuit in it which adds ~$1,000 to the cost. I looked up the specs and max power drain is 9 amps and they call for a 20 amp circuit.
Nothing wrong with sizing the wire for 30 but I wouldn't put a 30 amp breaker in the panel, nor would I spend $1K for more efficient wire. Since the power loss is only a few watts and then only when it is starting.
This guy must have more work than he can handle.
I guess my major gripe is that he's not working with me. He's telling/selling me what I want, not trying to give me what I want.
The pad is there, the disconnect is there, there are already lines/cable in place, and a unit mounted on the wall, and he wants five killobucks to replace it. I'm thinking that is just over one killobuck too many for rural North Carolina. NYC - I could understand it, but here?