Air handler won't turn off / Outdoor unit won't turn on

Hi,

I have a York 3-Ton Heat pump and a Honeywell Touchscreen thermostat. Last week, I noticed that the outdoor unit was not coming on, and the air handler was staying on. I called the guy who installed it for me and he told me to press in the switch on the contactor on the outdoor unit. After I pressed it in, the outdoor unit came on and the system seemed to reset itself and everything worked fine for a couple days, now the same thing is happening again. This time however, the system didn't seem to reset itself, so I had to simply cut the power to the indoor unit so it would shut off.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing the problem?

Thanks.

Reply to
jacobya

I lifted this from a website, hope it helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Blower runs continuously This may be caused by two things: the thermostat mounted on the wall or the limit switch located on the heat pump just below the plenum (the box that distributes heated air to all of the ducts). The limit switch is designed to shut off the heat pump if the air in the plenum gets too hot.

Check the thermostat to see if the "Fan" switch has been turned on. If it has, turn it to "Off" or to "Auto." If it is set to "Off" or "Auto" already, the heat pump's limit switch must be adjusted. Call a heat pump repair technician to adjust the limit switch or, if you are handy with this type of repair, follow the instructions in your owner's manual to reset the pointers on the fan side of the limit control. The lower pointer should be set to about 90 degrees F and the upper one should be at about 115 degrees F.

snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net wrote:

Reply to
formlessreflections

Also check out this document. Especially Section 8, Troubleshooting.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:tTc2LvCJ1uQJ:

snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net wrote:

Reply to
formlessreflections

Did the guy install the thermostat only? If so I would focus more on that. The fan wire could be getting constant power. The original tech should come back out and fix this. If you even want him to.

snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net wrote:

Reply to
formlessreflections

Real handy..NOT.

York does not use an adjustable limit. Never seen one go out either. If he does not have electric backup, he wont have one anyway, since its part of the heat strips, and it does not turn the blower on anyway.

Reply to
aka-SBM

Wow, another jerk!

I did a quick search and found some information pertaining to (general) heat pump troubleshooting and posted it. I also posted a link to aYork manual.

What did you do besides lambast someone that is at least trying to give the man a lead or nudge into another direction?

You like strawmen don't you? Pick one incorrect bit of info from a post and then base your entire response around it even though it wasn't critical to begin with.

How about offering up something instead of attitude.

There's more assholes per thread on this group than any I've ever seen.

That speaks VOLUMES about you and your trade.

aka-SBM wrote:

formlessreflections

Sure... Here we go bud..

To the OP, if you will post the model and serial number of the outside unit and the air handler, i can get you the wiring schems, something that this fucktard that wants to be newbie newsgroup patrolman cant...I mean..he can, but its the basic wiring, and some of the units have more than one diagram that he wont know about. AND, if you are in the general area I am in, Ill come out and troubleshoot it for free, and Ill even give you my labor for nothing, since he thinks we are all asses.

formlessreflections is the newest fucktard we have. Welcome to the group moron.

And you speak volumes about how f****ng high YOUR labor rate needs to be.

You have a lot to learn..shame we cant cram it all to you at one time....at least then, you would be so busy in brain overload....oh..wait.... we can do that now..

Hey...guess what?

you looked....

you are still looking....................................................

lemmie really confuse ya....

there...happy now? Since you went this far, its proof positive that to keep someone that rode the short bus for 14 years occupied, its the simple things that work. Dont reproduce..we have enough brain dead kids as it is, and Darwinism would only cause you and your wife pain.

aka-SBM

I'm also slowly getting to that conclusion.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's been interesting, "biteme" but I guess you'll have to play with someone else. Bye.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When you cant figure out to move one wire, how in hell can you figure that out Chrissy? You dont even know who you are talking to....

LOL

Reply to
aka-SBM