Air Conditioning

Page 1 of 2
Hello, During the winter I replaced the thermostat in our house that controls heating and cooling systems. I have split system with 5 wires coming to the thermostat. When I was replacing the thermostat I accidentally did short circuit and heard the air fan for AC on the attic going off (this was the last time the AC worked). All breakers are turned on, I have power coming into the coil outside the house (at least to the breaker) and to the attic fan. There is a switch on the fan and I have power coming through the switch all the way to the motor. From the thermostat there are 3 wires coming into the fan. As I understand electricity the wires have no voltage and work as a switch (short circuit turns it ON) and my accidental short circuit should not cause any damage to the system. However, I can not get the fan or the coil to work after replacing the thermostat. I even try to switch back to the old one but no luck either.
How can I test the system and find out what's wrong. Could my short circuit cause any damage?
Jack

Yep, it's time to make a call to have your system repaired. While they are there, have them sevice the unit to insure its operating efficiently.
JackpipE wrote:

Depends.. Are you posting from the ether world or this one? I highly recommend that you have that serviced by a responsible company Technician. Its a matter of pay me a little now or a lot later. I am really getting tired of reading about Homeowner accidents with that ticking time bomb that heats their homes. We have enough professional hurt as it is.

You screwed it up, now its time to pay the piper. Call somebody that knows WTF they are doing. Your DIY "cheap fix" isn't gonna be so cheap after all.
READ the SCHEMATIC ( Wiring Diagram ) Take playboy out of the toilet and do some HOMEWORK that will pay BUCKS

The mistake you made was not shutting off the power to the circuit before working on it - also probably not tagging the wires as you removed them. Hopefully all you damages is the A/C side of the thermostat.
I do all my own wiring and replacing a thermostat is a DIY project. But unless you know how to test the thermostat, it is time to call a professional.
BTW: I took the journeyman electrician's exam years ago when I cam home from military service.
Dick
Dick Adams wrote:

Being an electrician does not make an air conditioning tech.
--
Zyp

No more than a proctologist makes a dentist.
Noon-Air wrote:

How does a proctologist make a Dentist.. Send flowers and candy or what? ;-p

Send spools of pink dental floss?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

He's supposed to get the flowers first then pull out the candy and the card :-p
Don Ocean posted for all of us...

Ho Ho Ho the y scope and fill each others cavities.
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

Heck, I didn't make this kind of money back when I was a dentist.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

You were a proctologist Stormy? :|
--
Zyp

Zyp wrote:

Apparently Stormy's Business is looking up. ;-p

Don Ocean wrote:

LOL
--
Zyp

No, no; he was an asshole, but after seeing the proctologist he is now a perfect asshole.
in return, he gave the doctor a hickey on *his* hemorrhoids.
Dear Dr. Dimwit, I'm going to report you to the board of ethics, for violations of patient confidentiality. BTW, are your hemmorhoids feeling any better, now?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

That's more then Stormy understands...