Air Conditioning

Hello, During the winter I replaced the thermostat in our house that controls heating and cooling systems. I have split system with 5 wires coming to the thermostat. When I was replacing the thermostat I accidentally did short circuit and heard the air fan for AC on the attic going off (this was the last time the AC worked). All breakers are turned on, I have power coming into the coil outside the house (at least to the breaker) and to the attic fan. There is a switch on the fan and I have power coming through the switch all the way to the motor. From the thermostat there are 3 wires coming into the fan. As I understand electricity the wires have no voltage and work as a switch (short circuit turns it ON) and my accidental short circuit should not cause any damage to the system. However, I can not get the fan or the coil to work after replacing the thermostat. I even try to switch back to the old one but no luck either.

How can I test the system and find out what's wrong. Could my short circuit cause any damage?

Jack

Reply to
JackpipE

Yep, it's time to make a call to have your system repaired. While they are there, have them sevice the unit to insure its operating efficiently.

Reply to
KJPRO

Depends.. Are you posting from the ether world or this one? I highly recommend that you have that serviced by a responsible company Technician. Its a matter of pay me a little now or a lot later. I am really getting tired of reading about Homeowner accidents with that ticking time bomb that heats their homes. We have enough professional hurt as it is.

Reply to
Don Ocean

You screwed it up, now its time to pay the piper. Call somebody that knows WTF they are doing. Your DIY "cheap fix" isn't gonna be so cheap after all.

Reply to
Noon-Air

READ the SCHEMATIC ( Wiring Diagram ) Take playboy out of the toilet and do some HOMEWORK that will pay BUCKS

Reply to
Telstra

The mistake you made was not shutting off the power to the circuit before working on it - also probably not tagging the wires as you removed them. Hopefully all you damages is the A/C side of the thermostat.

I do all my own wiring and replacing a thermostat is a DIY project. But unless you know how to test the thermostat, it is time to call a professional.

BTW: I took the journeyman electrician's exam years ago when I cam home from military service.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

THERE should be one on the inside of the cover. UNSCREW the cover and take it into the CAN and study. IGNORE your wives comments ' THIS IS MANS WORK "

Reply to
Telstra

Being an electrician does not make an air conditioning tech.

Reply to
Zyp

No more than a proctologist makes a dentist.

Reply to
Noon-Air

How does a proctologist make a Dentist.. Send flowers and candy or what? ;-p

Reply to
Don Ocean

Heck, I didn't make this kind of money back when I was a dentist.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Send spools of pink dental floss?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Replacing a thermostat is not a hi-tech job. One does not need to be a automobile mechanic to change a battery.

What the OP did was a reasonable DIY project. He did not do it right and, as I wrote above, it is time to call a professional.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

He's supposed to get the flowers first then pull out the candy and the card :-p

Reply to
Noon-Air

Don Ocean posted for all of us...

Ho Ho Ho the y scope and fill each others cavities.

Reply to
Tekkie®

You were a proctologist Stormy? :|

Reply to
Zyp

Well I agree, but it must have been high-tech enough that 'he' didn't get it right. :) 4 or more wires and he blew it....

Reply to
Zyp

Apparently Stormy's Business is looking up. ;-p

Reply to
Don Ocean

What? He is agy too? '=[

Reply to