Advice needed

I need to assemble a cold plate system for a marine freezer for the boat I am building. I have purchased 3 used cold plates aproximately 18" x 24" x 4" that appear to be in good condition. They all have evaporator valves with them. I am aware that I must change the medium inside the cold plates for the freezer application. I have no experience with refrigeration systems, so I will need a lot of help. The goal is to freeze down the plates once every 24 hours or more. The heat load will vary widely in this application. I will need an evaporation temperature around -40 for the medium I wish to use. I would like to also use a raw water cooled condensor for space reasons. I also want to mount the machinery in the engine space which is physically separated from the evaporators by about 20'. I need help in sizing/choosing the compressor, the accumulator and the refrigerant at least.. Should I use a controller, unique valving or other components that I have not mentioned? Could the system be designed to be self regulating? It would be better if I do the machinery installation, as I know the boat, but I will have the system professionally charged and tested. I know no one with this experience, so any advice is welcome. Effectively, I am looking for a reliable design. Thanks in advance, Steve

Who would have thought?
You translated the english well, but can you help? Steve

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 06:30:23 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"

You're not asking for much are you? Now be a good boy and run along and play with your toys somewhere else.
Dear Steve, Lets take a bit of a look at the situation. Since you're in Germany, does that mean you're exempt from the USA regulations about freon recovery, and disposal? Anyhow, we do need a bit more information to be helpful. Please see if the existing equipment has any technical specs. Name plate, that kind of thing. Do you know the temperature range of the equipment? As to producing -40 temps, that's going to provide some challenges. Not many refrigerants do that low temp. Zero F is doable, with 404a, but not sure about the lower temp. Water cooled condensor is excellent idea, you have plenty of cold water to work with. Lets get some more information.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Actually there is a refrigeration engineer in europe that can help, but you may have to wring him out first... he likes to swim around in the bottle and not just sniff the cork. He used to be a regular poster in here, but haven't seen him in a while.
Perhaps you'd like to answer the questions, then?
--
Christopher A. Young
Idiot Mormon

Why, it wouldn't help you any...

The plates you have sound like "DOLE" plates with holdover fluid and seem pretty small for a freezer on a commercial fishing boat. Basing your system to match some plates that you got is not a good start to sizing your equipment. Start with the size of the hold and the pounds of fish at a certain temperature(water temp) and the length of time you need to bring them down to -40 C.or F. A Carlyle (Carrier) O5G or O5K is quite capable of achieving this temperature using R 404 or 507 if sized to match the condenser (cupro-nickel or titanium) and the hold is well insulated with aluminium plates such as these. www.gunthela.com/catalogue.html You are going to need help with this project.