Advice needed

I need to assemble a cold plate system for a marine freezer for the boat I am building. I have purchased 3 used cold plates aproximately 18" x 24" x 4" that appear to be in good condition. They all have evaporator valves with them. I am aware that I must change the medium inside the cold plates for the freezer application. I have no experience with refrigeration systems, so I will need a lot of help. The goal is to freeze down the plates once every

24 hours or more. The heat load will vary widely in this application. I will need an evaporation temperature around -40 for the medium I wish to use. I would like to also use a raw water cooled condensor for space reasons. I also want to mount the machinery in the engine space which is physically separated from the evaporators by about 20'. I need help in sizing/choosing the compressor, the accumulator and the refrigerant at least.. Should I use a controller, unique valving or other components that I have not mentioned? Could the system be designed to be self regulating? It would be better if I do the machinery installation, as I know the boat, but I will have the system professionally charged and tested. I know no one with this experience, so any advice is welcome. Effectively, I am looking for a reliable design. Thanks in advance, Steve
Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Who would have thought?

Reply to
KJPRO

You translated the english well, but can you help? Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

You're not asking for much are you? Now be a good boy and run along and play with your toys somewhere else.

Reply to
What a maroon

Dear Steve, Lets take a bit of a look at the situation. Since you're in Germany, does that mean you're exempt from the USA regulations about freon recovery, and disposal? Anyhow, we do need a bit more information to be helpful. Please see if the existing equipment has any technical specs. Name plate, that kind of thing. Do you know the temperature range of the equipment? As to producing -40 temps, that's going to provide some challenges. Not many refrigerants do that low temp. Zero F is doable, with 404a, but not sure about the lower temp. Water cooled condensor is excellent idea, you have plenty of cold water to work with. Lets get some more information.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

an idiot mormon and a bunch of resi guys, no useful information can come

Reply to
Shaun

Actually there is a refrigeration engineer in europe that can help, but you may have to wring him out first... he likes to swim around in the bottle and not just sniff the cork. He used to be a regular poster in here, but haven't seen him in a while.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Perhaps you'd like to answer the questions, then?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why, it wouldn't help you any...

Reply to
KJPRO

The plates you have sound like "DOLE" plates with holdover fluid and seem pretty small for a freezer on a commercial fishing boat. Basing your system to match some plates that you got is not a good start to sizing your equipment. Start with the size of the hold and the pounds of fish at a certain temperature(water temp) and the length of time you need to bring them down to -40 C.or F. A Carlyle (Carrier) O5G or O5K is quite capable of achieving this temperature using R 404 or 507 if sized to match the condenser (cupro-nickel or titanium) and the hold is well insulated with aluminium plates such as these.

You are going to need help with this project.

Reply to
kool

Do you have really have to ask that question? As far as I recall Germany is not part of the USA. I'm sure they have their own regs. but he is trying to build a system around some dole plate evaporators that are probably not full of freon at the present time.

Achieving -40 is done all the time with 404A or 507 or HP80 or 502 or 717 to mention a few,with a single stage system.Colder temps than that usually require a compound or cascade system.

Water cooled condensor is excellent idea, you

Of course it will be water cooled, I can't picture a big ass air cooled condenser lashed to his deck!

exellent idea!!!

Reply to
kool