AC: how limp by until new installation?

Page 3 of 4

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 21:22:05 -0500, The Daring Dufas

    Don was in chage of O-rings. 'Nuff said.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Did you ever have an alien rip up a condensing unit to steal the copper?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

    You're telling HIM ? Why do you think he's so nervous and Grumpy all the time ?

www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Paul you finally notice that "I am glad"
You're more than just 'glad', dude ( if you get my drift ) :-)

www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Problem is if you drifting and I am drifting we may coiled and cause international incident "A well"
    How very continental of you ! Nearly Tectonic, in fact ....

www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
My sense, is that a good tech could relubricate the motor berrings, while the new motor was on order. I had one (at my own place) make that awful noise, and I was able to lube it, and it lasted for ages. And this was before I had any training in HVAC. I sense you're being overcharged and set up by a less than honest tech.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Where did you put the oil? Most modern motors are sealed bearings.

On 7/9/2010 1:12 AM, Alexander wrote:

I can take a 1/8" drill and make a hole for oil, it's amazing what a little oil will do for a sticky shaft. Go ahead, make all the sexual innuendo out of that you want. 8-)
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

What do you do about the drill shavings? Gotta love you handyman types. I thought Stormy was the only one, but it appears that theres more then one in that nest.

On 7/10/2010 12:21 AM, Alexander wrote:

Obviously a lot handier than you Alley! There are times when you have to get something going and can't immediately get the proper motor if at all. On some unit heaters, I've pulled the motor, drilled out the rivets on the end caps, soaked the felt with oil and used pop rivets to put the caps back on. With unit bearing motors it's quite easy to drill or punch a hole in the end cap where the felt is to re-oil the motor. Sometimes you can't pull a replacement part out of your ass but there are people like you who seem to be able to talk out of theirs. 8-)
TDD

CY: Vacuum cleaner does a reasonable j ob.
There are times when you have to get something going and can't immediately get the proper motor if at all.
CY: Yeah, I know that concept.
On some unit heaters, I've pulled the motor, drilled out the rivets on the end caps, soaked the felt with oil and used pop rivets to put the caps back on.
CY: Sounds like that works.
With unit bearing motors it's quite easy to drill or punch a hole in the end cap where the felt is to re-oil the motor.
CY: The unit motors used in fractional condensing units (typically 9 watt clockwise), the aluminum end cap comes off with a hammer and screw driver, usually. Some solvent to dry out the berrings, and then relube with zoom spout.
Sometimes you can't pull a replacement part out of your ass but there are people like you who seem to be able to talk out of theirs. 8-)
CY: That must have hurt. You're talking to a talking butt?
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I guess I owe Stormy an apology. You are not up to his standards. I guess it never occurred to you to haul said motor back to the shop and rebuild it to factory specs? Also for most Under half Million BTUH units, most of us carry Universal replacement motors. I guess your handyman repair would be a pit bull in a squirrel cage with a Bryant igniter system tied to his nuts.
On 7/10/2010 9:12 PM, Alexander wrote:

Did I just hear a big fart? Oh yea, hi Ally! 8-)
TDD
This was in about 1990, and the motor had oil ports. I didn't have zoom spout at that time, so I used, well, can't remember what. The oil port made a kind of "bubble" and the oil didn't want to go in. I remember having to use a bent out paper clip to break the vapor lock. I marked the furnace with a magic marker, before pulling the blower, so I could get the bolt holes to line up again.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus