AC: how limp by until new installation?

If ignorance was painful, you'd need Vicodin now.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Next time I'm gona make you hire a crane. My back is KILLING me !

Reply to
.p.jm.

Hey, why does everybody get me to carry the compressor up the ladder?

It takes too long to get parts from China, I smuggle them in from Mexico! Why on earth you would pay retail for parts from Johnstone when you can setup an account there and get them wholesale. I've been purchasing parts from them for many years. Their catalog now shows retail prices because so many end users were coming through the doors but service companies don't pay the catalog price. Get with the program, there are more places than Johnstone, as wonderful as they are, to get parts and supplies. Hell, if I don't have an account somewhere, I have a friend who does.

In The Southeast were I am, I usually get parts from:

Totaline

Wittichen Supply Company

Johnstone Supply Company

W W Grainger

Baker Distributing Co.

Hinkle Metals & Supply Co.

Airguard Industries Inc.

Motion Industries

Scotsman Ice Systems

Automatic Ice & Beverage Inc.

Washer and Refrigeration Supply Company

Appliance Parts Co.

A short list of just a few of the suppliers I regularly obtain parts from not including all of the electrical, electronic and plumbing supply companies. I once designed a pneumatic bell ringer for a friend's church and amazed him by taking him around to all of the machine shops, fabricators and industrial suppliers hidden away in all of the nooks and crannies about the city. It takes years to develop relationships with the suppliers around town and unfortunately my favorite sheet metal fabricator retired and closed up shop.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Obviously a lot handier than you Alley! There are times when you have to get something going and can't immediately get the proper motor if at all. On some unit heaters, I've pulled the motor, drilled out the rivets on the end caps, soaked the felt with oil and used pop rivets to put the caps back on. With unit bearing motors it's quite easy to drill or punch a hole in the end cap where the felt is to re-oil the motor. Sometimes you can't pull a replacement part out of your ass but there are people like you who seem to be able to talk out of theirs. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Hi, I know my limit. On any problem if I need a professional help I call for it paying fair price. BTW, My back is in EE, only employer in my working life was Honeywell in bygone good ol' days.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You should be able to do something as simple as replacing an air handler motor. My father taught me how to wire a house when I was kid. I used to build Frankenstein machines and being no fool, would get one of my little brothers to plug it in. Little bros never got hurt,....much. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Because you're a Dufas ?

Reply to
.p.jm.

Dufas is a proper name silly! You may have been trying to insult me by calling me a "doofus" which means moron, etc.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I thought it meant 'The guy who always gets stuck carrying the compressor up the ladder' :-)

Reply to
.p.jm.

I can carry a 5 ton but I can't carry a 7.5 ton up a ladder anymore. 20 years ago I could but when I passed 55, I couldn't slip a 7.5 up there.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I learned how to dial '1-800-Cranes-R-Us' early on :-)

Reply to
.p.jm.

CY: Vacuum cleaner does a reasonable j ob.

There are times when you have to get something going and can't immediately get the proper motor if at all.

CY: Yeah, I know that concept.

On some unit heaters, I've pulled the motor, drilled out the rivets on the end caps, soaked the felt with oil and used pop rivets to put the caps back on.

CY: Sounds like that works.

With unit bearing motors it's quite easy to drill or punch a hole in the end cap where the felt is to re-oil the motor.

CY: The unit motors used in fractional condensing units (typically 9 watt clockwise), the aluminum end cap comes off with a hammer and screw driver, usually. Some solvent to dry out the berrings, and then relube with zoom spout.

Sometimes you can't pull a replacement part out of your ass but there are people like you who seem to be able to talk out of theirs.

8-)

CY: That must have hurt. You're talking to a talking butt?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Makes me wonder if it's possible to build a rig with a wood frame, and a boat winch. Crank em up?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We got a guy we call on who owns a bucket/crane truck when we need something like that but I can slide a condensing unit up a ladder with a couple of stout helpers. We, me and GB, have several guys we call on for help with that sort of thing because we don't have the muscle we once had. GB's butt fell of about the time he hit 62 and having and surviving cancer didn't help the physical strength situation at all. I've had circulation problems with my legs for a dozen years so I'm not dancing around either but we keep on truckin'.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

On 7/10/2010 6:24 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote: >>The Daring Dufas wrote: >>I can carry a 5 ton but I can't carry a 7.5 ton up a ladder anymore. >>20 years ago I could but when I passed 55, I couldn't slip a 7.5 up >>there. >>

Johnstone had or has a crank up lift that attaches to an extension ladder for getting compressors on a roof. I don't know if they were renting it or loaning it out with the sale of a compressor. I'll have to ask the next time I'm in there.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Fuck that shit ;-) Call a crane, do it the safe and easy way, make sure it's in your bid.

Reply to
.p.jm.

I hope you didn't try to cash that check.. ;-)

Reply to
Don Ocean

Hmmm, Speaking of wiring, when I had my first ouse built in '71. I did the wiring. When inspector came out, he asked me if I was an electrician, LOL! As a teenager, I used to build/asemble x-sistor radios to make some spare money. I was active HAM then.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Johnstone marks the retail prices on their invoices for your use. They have a sliding scale wholesale just like the 14 other vendors I deal with.

I've

after a lot of years in the business, I am gratified that you are here to drop these pearls of financial wisdom on me. Much of what we buy from the 14 different vendors is not catalog listed. Computer downloads of inventory are updated on a regular basis. Also having a nice little proggie to compare pricing is a real treat also. I merely mention Johnstones prices is because most of the folks here use that vendor and can verify my statements. Now if you wish to sell products to your customers at wholesale..Thats fine with me. Do you also do service and installs at cost too?

Get

Is this your game of my dick is bigger then your dick and my daddy can beat up your Daddy?;-p

there are more places than Johnstone, as wonderful

You pay someone else to do your sheet metal?

Reply to
Alexander

Please be careful with flammable solvents. A flaming motor in a small dirty duct system can actually cause a nasty dust explosion. Large systems usually have fire dampers and suppression units. But it can still be bad.

Reply to
Alexander