AC: how limp by until new installation?

Page 2 of 4

.p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

And if you don't... You are gonna love the Obama Health care system.

"well, you know, somtimes it might be better if she just took the pain pill."
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Johnstone had or has a crank up lift that attaches to an extension ladder for getting compressors on a roof. I don't know if they were renting it or loaning it out with the sale of a compressor. I'll have to ask the next time I'm in there.
TDD
Stormin Mormon wrote:

There is a nice professional winch for that. Larger requires a crane or depending on expanse of roof and size, a Helocopter. Fast smaller jobs, just call a sign company crane truck. They are happy to do quick fast jobs and be on their way. $75 for a fast half hour job is the going rate here. They can handle 5K to 10K BTUH roof units.

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Heh! Heh! I think you are catching on. ;-p

.p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

Dammit Paul, You enlighten him and how in Hell are we gonna get him to continue carrying 20 ton compressors up that ladder/ :-p
In all seriousness.. Get a hoist for that job. Ladders are not a place to be fooling around with heavy loads.

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Johnstone marks the retail prices on their invoices for your use. They have a sliding scale wholesale just like the 14 other vendors I deal with.
I've

after a lot of years in the business, I am gratified that you are here to drop these pearls of financial wisdom on me. Much of what we buy from the 14 different vendors is not catalog listed. Computer downloads of inventory are updated on a regular basis. Also having a nice little proggie to compare pricing is a real treat also. I merely mention Johnstones prices is because most of the folks here use that vendor and can verify my statements. Now if you wish to sell products to your customers at wholesale..Thats fine with me. Do you also do service and installs at cost too?
Get

Is this your game of my dick is bigger then your dick and my daddy can beat up your Daddy?;-p
there are more places than Johnstone, as wonderful

You pay someone else to do your sheet metal?

.p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

I hope you didn't try to cash that check.. ;-)

Sounds like good detective work. Or, he put a sticker on the motor? Would Johnstone be able to get a motor that large?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Don Ocean wrote:

Hi, I know my limit. On any problem if I need a professional help I call for it paying fair price. BTW, My back is in EE, only employer in my working life was Honeywell in bygone good ol' days.
On 7/10/2010 10:28 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

You should be able to do something as simple as replacing an air handler motor. My father taught me how to wire a house when I was kid. I used to build Frankenstein machines and being no fool, would get one of my little brothers to plug it in. Little bros never got hurt,....much. :-)
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Hmmm, Speaking of wiring, when I had my first ouse built in '71. I did the wiring. When inspector came out, he asked me if I was an electrician, LOL! As a teenager, I used to build/asemble x-sistor radios to make some spare money. I was active HAM then.
On 7/10/2010 8:53 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I remember my parents getting my older sister a transistor radio and it had a 9 volt battery about the size of a C cell with snap connectors on either end. I haven't seen a battery like that in many years. It had to be the late 50's or early 60's and of course I had to take it apart to see how it worked. 8-)
TDD
Tony Hwang wrote:

Ya know Todd Bill down in Atlanta's Honeywell? My first retirement was from Rockwell Space division. We made environmental systems for space.
On 7/10/2010 9:18 PM, Don Ocean wrote:

COOL!(no pun) What spacecraft did you develop systems for and did you ever work North of here in Huntsville?
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Gemini, Apollo and some other assorted unmanned vehicles. The Electronics is sometimes more valuable then lifeforms. Duck hunting was good in Huntsville. Hated the damned humidity. Space employed millions in the 1960's. If you want to see the wonders of real environmental systems.. Just look at the modern 767 or the new Airbus aircraft. The Concorde system was also developed by a Rockwell team. Another is the Huge Passenger Ocean liners... I think most of those systems were based on designs by Garret Industries Air Research.

On 7/10/2010 9:53 PM, Don Ocean wrote:

Electronics packages were a little bigger for the same job back then. I know that watt density is much greater now than in the past but the use of switching regulators rather than shunt regulators may let the electronics run at lower temperatures and the newer CPU's are a lot less heat sensitive. I wonder what range did you have to keep the temperature for the older electronics? I was able to get my hands on some Apollo Saturn command receivers through the school surplus program back around 1970 and the stuff was incredible, all discrete components making up the tone decoders and the UHF receivers were all gold plated. Man do I ever wish I still had that stuff. Oh yea, do the newer passenger plane use more fresh air? I remember a lot of controversy about the amount of air that was recirculated in passenger cabins some years back.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

There were no CPU's Per se.. It was mass integration called Micra's. They were actually in a metal sealed flat very small(for that time) can The tiny gold wiring was installed by machinery invented under Government contract by North American Aviation(Rockwell). They were taken by the Johnson administration and given to Texas Instrument, thus bringing that company out as a major supplier. As for cooling and heating... Much of those equipment needs were served by immersion in FC77 or FC75..Which was then heated or cooled by other methods as needed. I wonder what range did you have to keep the

Close tolerance.. Wide ranges in environmental chambers were designed for the unlikely possibility of environmental failures in space.
Too bad you didn't get your hands on some of the S band radar Moon mapping radar. They were solid silver.
I was able to get my hands on

Scrubbers etc.. Check out Air research. Ain't much air at the altitudes some modern transoceanic passenger planes fly. They need the altitude to cut heavy air drag thus giving the most bang for the fuel dollar.
I remember a lot of controversy

I don't think you want any circuitry etc from some of our early satellites and much of that was nuke reactor powered. Two fellows were killed when loading a dispersing satellite, with Barium..Which by itself is inert. They made a mistake and radiated it with Ku band to see if it would reflect. In Air it becomes active when radiated and exploded killing both and totally demolishing a laboratory and scattering nuke material all over the place. It was scheduled to lift off from Pt Mugu. Hughes Corporation made some really nice satellites with a lot of our equipment on board. They still do and so does or did Raytheon. I am amazed that you got any equipment from the Apollo program. All we had, was destroyed rather then send it to salvage. As was the Mercury and Gemini equipment. The Space suites were saved to be utilized for further research and as museum displays. I understand there is a display in Paris of some of our space hardware antiques.
On 7/10/2010 11:42 PM, Don Ocean wrote:

The command receivers were made for the booster itself and on the outside was stamped "NOT FLIGHT QUALIFIED" which led me to believe they had been test and development units. They were completely sealed and had the Bendix twist lock connectors with the gold pins, etc. A lot of that material made it to the surplus depots where schools and and other government agencies could root through piles of stuff that originally cost untold thousands of dollars to obtain. It was amazing, one transistor would be packaged in a box the size of your forearm and it was all super quality mil spec and aerospace spec parts. It was a regular candy store for anyone interested in electronics.
TDD