AC: how limp by until new installation?

Page 1 of 4

About 3 am Wednesday I noticed that the fan that circulates the air for our furnace and AC (blower fan?) had died. The AC itself hadn't, and frost was accumulating where the coils lie inside the assembly above the furnace. Turned everything off.
The furnace and (blower) fan are from 1985 (Carrier). We bought the house in June 2008.
Repair guy came and said the capacitor had blown. He said he could replace that for cheap, or he could replace the entire motor. We had told him that we were tired of all these minor repairs, and given the age of the unit it was time to replace the thing anyway. Apparently replacing the motor would be fairly expensive (~$600).
We decided not to replace the motor.
He warned us that in his experience, if the capacitor goes on a very old motor, the motor often (but not always) dies soon thereafter. He was simply and honestly presenting the tradeoff to us.
So I came home about 5 pm this afternoon and the motor was making a noise, kind of like a slightly noisy clothes dryer. Obviously not good. An hour later, the motor was dead. ("Dead" equals humming and not turning.)
Of course, we could turn around and spend the $600 as soon as they can get out here again (he said they stock the part), but we're really going to replace ASAP. (They can't get out here for an estimate until the 19th. In the meantime we'll ask a couple other firms for estimates.)
So...what's the best way to limp along until we get the new system, which looks like it could be a couple weeks? We live in a suburb of Washington DC and it's been hot as hell recently. (Probably why the thing decided to burn out now---it's been working overtime.) I'd just live mostly in the basement and deal with it, but we have 1 year old twins, and having them sleep in the basement is a logistical PITA. Is a reasonable thing to get a couple cheap window units, or is there some better way of dealing with the situation?
TIA,
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 15:00:38 -0700 (PDT), woger151

    Yes.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On 7/8/2010 5:00 PM, woger151 wrote:

People around there pay $600.00 to replace a blower motor? Holy smoke! Give this guy, Scott Meenen a call, perhaps he can give you a better price? He works that area and seems to know what he's doing.
http://www.toad.net/~jsmeenen /
TDD
Well, that's the same part of the world that spends a couple trillion on union buddies, so what's six c'notes among friends?
I could probably get the specs, buy the motor here, and drive to DC to install it for six c'notes.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Hmmm, Motor will cost 200.00 max. including regular UPS shipping. I was expecting blower motor to quit soon and in advance I ordered one from electricmotorwarehouse.com in Mich. I received it in 5 days over the week end. They did a customs paper work as well including the cost into price(~200.00). It took me ~2 hours to replace it. In time for cooling season.
On 7/9/2010 6:46 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

That's a pretty high price for a blower motor especially if it's direct from a distributor. The only high priced blower motors I've come across are the newer electronic variable speed blower motors. The OP did say the unit was a 1985 model and that's going to have a standard permanent-split capacitor motor unless the air handler was retrofitted by outer space aliens. Humm, if the motor is ordered online there could be high shipping charges due to weight.
TDD
Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmmm, Yourself. I have laying on my desk, invoices for today..2 indoor blower motors at retail $269.34 Each and 2 Run capaci8tors at $4.53 each. This is a statement from Johnstone supply. I can dig out a couple of dozen others from other vendors that run even more. I don't do this for fun and I sure am not going to subsidized some cheap bastards furnace parts. Don't forget I have to also pay the techs to put it in and still make a fair profit. Also the Feds, the state and the locale all want their taxes too. So 2 hours labor would be what in your book? My guys change those out in 40 minutes. It does take a certain amount of time to get there, troubleshoot to insure that the motor is definitely bad. Also to insure blower wheel and cage are not out of balance..Or would you rather change it again every 3 months? How much did it cost you to change out the cooling fan motor on your car?
On 7/9/2010 7:08 PM, Don Ocean wrote:

I don't usually buy motors from Johnstone even though I like the folks there at the two different branches I go to for lots of other parts. I get my motors from one of two motor supply/rewind companies around here. There are times when I have to get a rewound motor like for the air handler in an old office building or the 60 hp S frame that's the same size as a modern 100 hp. The motor was driving a 5H60 Carrier open drive compressor and it takes an engine hoist to pull one of those. I actually found the guy who had rewound it 20 years before to get it done again. Have you ever seen a half ton pickup truck squat when you gently set a 60 hp S frame motor on it?
TDD
On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 20:12:52 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Make sure to laser align the shafts or else you'll tear the seals out of the 5H and it will leak at the shaft seal.
On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 22:49:42 -0400, The King

    Did you tell him it was a warranty call-back ? ;-)

www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Yes and I have Paid a $grand a day to raise rooftop units in place. Maybe Steve can tell you about the Units for freezing fish by the ton. If you have no idea what retail is, you are definitely not in the business. Maybe you could import your own parts from China?

    Next time I'm gona make you hire a crane. My back is KILLING me !

www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On 7/10/2010 8:51 AM, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

Hey, why does everybody get me to carry the compressor up the ladder?

It takes too long to get parts from China, I smuggle them in from Mexico! Why on earth you would pay retail for parts from Johnstone when you can setup an account there and get them wholesale. I've been purchasing parts from them for many years. Their catalog now shows retail prices because so many end users were coming through the doors but service companies don't pay the catalog price. Get with the program, there are more places than Johnstone, as wonderful as they are, to get parts and supplies. Hell, if I don't have an account somewhere, I have a friend who does.
In The Southeast were I am, I usually get parts from:
Totaline
Wittichen Supply Company
Johnstone Supply Company
W W Grainger
Baker Distributing Co.
Hinkle Metals & Supply Co.
Airguard Industries Inc.
Motion Industries
Scotsman Ice Systems
Automatic Ice & Beverage Inc.
Washer and Refrigeration Supply Company
Appliance Parts Co.
A short list of just a few of the suppliers I regularly obtain parts from not including all of the electrical, electronic and plumbing supply companies. I once designed a pneumatic bell ringer for a friend's church and amazed him by taking him around to all of the machine shops, fabricators and industrial suppliers hidden away in all of the nooks and crannies about the city. It takes years to develop relationships with the suppliers around town and unfortunately my favorite sheet metal fabricator retired and closed up shop.
TDD
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 10:12:47 -0500, The Daring Dufas

    Because you're a Dufas ?
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On 7/10/2010 11:06 AM, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

Dufas is a proper name silly! You may have been trying to insult me by calling me a "doofus" which means moron, etc.
TDD
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 11:39:59 -0500, The Daring Dufas

    I thought it meant 'The guy who always gets stuck carrying the compressor up the ladder' :-)
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On 7/10/2010 11:41 AM, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

I can carry a 5 ton but I can't carry a 7.5 ton up a ladder anymore. 20 years ago I could but when I passed 55, I couldn't slip a 7.5 up there.
TDD
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 15:55:47 -0500, The Daring Dufas

    I learned how to dial '1-800-Cranes-R-Us' early on :-)
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On 7/10/2010 5:09 PM, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

We got a guy we call on who owns a bucket/crane truck when we need something like that but I can slide a condensing unit up a ladder with a couple of stout helpers. We, me and GB, have several guys we call on for help with that sort of thing because we don't have the muscle we once had. GB's butt fell of about the time he hit 62 and having and surviving cancer didn't help the physical strength situation at all. I've had circulation problems with my legs for a dozen years so I'm not dancing around either but we keep on truckin'.
TDD
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 19:51:47 -0500, The Daring Dufas

    Fuck that shit ;-) Call a crane, do it the safe and easy way, make sure it's in your bid.

www.theanimalrescuesite.com/