AC: how limp by until new installation?

About 3 am Wednesday I noticed that the fan that circulates the air for our furnace and AC (blower fan?) had died. The AC itself hadn't, and frost was accumulating where the coils lie inside the assembly above the furnace. Turned everything off.

The furnace and (blower) fan are from 1985 (Carrier). We bought the house in June 2008.

Repair guy came and said the capacitor had blown. He said he could replace that for cheap, or he could replace the entire motor. We had told him that we were tired of all these minor repairs, and given the age of the unit it was time to replace the thing anyway. Apparently replacing the motor would be fairly expensive (~$600).

We decided not to replace the motor.

He warned us that in his experience, if the capacitor goes on a very old motor, the motor often (but not always) dies soon thereafter. He was simply and honestly presenting the tradeoff to us.

So I came home about 5 pm this afternoon and the motor was making a noise, kind of like a slightly noisy clothes dryer. Obviously not good. An hour later, the motor was dead. ("Dead" equals humming and not turning.)

Of course, we could turn around and spend the $600 as soon as they can get out here again (he said they stock the part), but we're really going to replace ASAP. (They can't get out here for an estimate until the 19th. In the meantime we'll ask a couple other firms for estimates.)

So...what's the best way to limp along until we get the new system, which looks like it could be a couple weeks? We live in a suburb of Washington DC and it's been hot as hell recently. (Probably why the thing decided to burn out now---it's been working overtime.) I'd just live mostly in the basement and deal with it, but we have 1 year old twins, and having them sleep in the basement is a logistical PITA. Is a reasonable thing to get a couple cheap window units, or is there some better way of dealing with the situation?

TIA,

woger151

Yes.

Reply to
.p.jm.

People around there pay $600.00 to replace a blower motor? Holy smoke! Give this guy, Scott Meenen a call, perhaps he can give you a better price? He works that area and seems to know what he's doing.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Well, that's the same part of the world that spends a couple trillion on union buddies, so what's six c'notes among friends?

I could probably get the specs, buy the motor here, and drive to DC to install it for six c'notes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My sense, is that a good tech could relubricate the motor berrings, while the new motor was on order. I had one (at my own place) make that awful noise, and I was able to lube it, and it lasted for ages. And this was before I had any training in HVAC. I sense you're being overcharged and set up by a less than honest tech.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And you are unable to check if running cap is open??????

Grumpy

Where did you put the oil? Most modern motors are sealed bearings.

Reply to
Alexander

Hmmm, Motor will cost 200.00 max. including regular UPS shipping. I was expecting blower motor to quit soon and in advance I ordered one from electricmotorwarehouse.com in Mich. I received it in 5 days over the week end. They did a customs paper work as well including the cost into price(~200.00). It took me ~2 hours to replace it. In time for cooling season.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

That's a pretty high price for a blower motor especially if it's direct from a distributor. The only high priced blower motors I've come across are the newer electronic variable speed blower motors. The OP did say the unit was a 1985 model and that's going to have a standard permanent-split capacitor motor unless the air handler was retrofitted by outer space aliens. Humm, if the motor is ordered online there could be high shipping charges due to weight.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Hmmm, Yourself. I have laying on my desk, invoices for today..2 indoor blower motors at retail $269.34 Each and 2 Run capaci8tors at $4.53 each. This is a statement from Johnstone supply. I can dig out a couple of dozen others from other vendors that run even more. I don't do this for fun and I sure am not going to subsidized some cheap bastards furnace parts. Don't forget I have to also pay the techs to put it in and still make a fair profit. Also the Feds, the state and the locale all want their taxes too. So 2 hours labor would be what in your book? My guys change those out in 40 minutes. It does take a certain amount of time to get there, troubleshoot to insure that the motor is definitely bad. Also to insure blower wheel and cage are not out of balance..Or would you rather change it again every 3 months? How much did it cost you to change out the cooling fan motor on your car?

Reply to
Don Ocean

I don't usually buy motors from Johnstone even though I like the folks there at the two different branches I go to for lots of other parts. I get my motors from one of two motor supply/rewind companies around here. There are times when I have to get a rewound motor like for the air handler in an old office building or the 60 hp S frame that's the same size as a modern 100 hp. The motor was driving a 5H60 Carrier open drive compressor and it takes an engine hoist to pull one of those. I actually found the guy who had rewound it 20 years before to get it done again. Have you ever seen a half ton pickup truck squat when you gently set a

60 hp S frame motor on it?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I can take a 1/8" drill and make a hole for oil, it's amazing what a little oil will do for a sticky shaft. Go ahead, make all the sexual innuendo out of that you want. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Don't feel bad, Stormy still lives in the basement of his parent's.

Reply to
Smarty

Make sure to laser align the shafts or else you'll tear the seals out of the 5H and it will leak at the shaft seal.

Reply to
The King

Did you tell him it was a warranty call-back ? ;-)

Reply to
.p.jm.

Yes and I have Paid a $grand a day to raise rooftop units in place. Maybe Steve can tell you about the Units for freezing fish by the ton. If you have no idea what retail is, you are definitely not in the business. Maybe you could import your own parts from China?

Reply to
Don Ocean

What do you do about the drill shavings? Gotta love you handyman types. I thought Stormy was the only one, but it appears that theres more then one in that nest.

Reply to
Alexander

Sounds like good detective work. Or, he put a sticker on the motor? Would Johnstone be able to get a motor that large?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This was in about 1990, and the motor had oil ports. I didn't have zoom spout at that time, so I used, well, can't remember what. The oil port made a kind of "bubble" and the oil didn't want to go in. I remember having to use a bent out paper clip to break the vapor lock. I marked the furnace with a magic marker, before pulling the blower, so I could get the bolt holes to line up again.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On the smaller motors. Sometimes a bit of solvent will wash out the old oil, and then a couple drops where the shaft meets the berring works fine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon