AC Electrical Question

The heat has motivated me to have central air installed at my home. I am trying to avoid getting ripped off on the electrical part of the job.
My understanding is that central air conditioning units generally pull about 30 amps, depending on the size. At any rate, when I look at my electrical service box, there are two 20 amp breakers that are unused. Is it easy to somehow combine these two to support the needs of the central air? Should the contractor that installs the AC be able to handle this as a standard part of the job, or am I looking at additional expenses?
Thanks.
The installer will most likely remove one or both of the 20 amp breakers, and put in a double pole 20 if you're getting 2 tons, and a double 30 for 2.5 tons.
I can't comment on your part of the world, but the company I work for does this kind of work on a regular basis, and it isn't an add on cost. There are other factors which are much more important than a couple breaker slots in your electric box.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Piece of cake! 20 amps + 20 amps = 40 amps. You have 10 amps to spare!

Don't worry about it, the A/C contractor will handle it....it should already be part of his total install price.

Depending on the capacity of the unit, the required circuit and breaker will normally be anywhere from 20 - 60 amps.

They won't be there anymore.

no, new ones that are correctly sized for the wire and units will be installed.

yes
Only if you get in the way and become a PITA by trying to second guess the professionally trained technician that is actually doing the job.

Thanks, for answering my question. I'll strive not to become a PITA ;>
Noon-Air wrote:

simple answer to you is NO you can not combine, however? yes you can change circuit breaker to higher amperage, that is? If you main source main supply can handle it, your contractor should be able tell you that. Bit of advice don't cheat on power supply and specially if you are in area where power is always some what low to start with. good luck from Dido

Worse, they are probably single pole breakers.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Hmmm....can you expand on that thought? How do you "cheat on power supply"? And where do you find areas where power supplies that are "low to start with"?
--
Respectfully, Bob