A/C working properly? Cost -> lower temp?

keep
Bingo...

Here are few things that need to be checked.
1)Outside coil should be hosed off at least once a year. If you have access to a hose bib and a hoes you can do this yourself.
2) Air filter should be replaced monthly.
3) There may be a freon leak. Maintenance can top it off.
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote in

Ask them what the problem was and what they did to fix it.

Why not find and repair the leak?

I just posted a description of what maintenance didn't do as a reponse to my original post.
Gordon wrote:

Don't you think using a hoe would damage the coil? On the other hand, if it is *really* overgrown with grass or vines or something...
- Logan

Yes it would smartass. You know I ment Hose.
Gordon wrote:

He meant HO like in the OP.
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

I've been through this. The thermostat was set at 75F, and the A/C would literally run all day and all night, and even just before dawn, the A/C would not have brought the temperature down low enough to shut off.
Apartment management came out and "fixed" it, the thing worked much better for a few weeks, then it was back how it was before.
It was an 834 sq. ft. apartment, and the electric bill was $260. My upstairs neighbor, who had an identical floor plan, never had a bill anywhere near that high.
This is as much a problem of dealing with the apartment management as it is a technical problem. As others have said, get a thermometer and measure the temperature difference between the air going in and coming out. If it can't manage 20F, it's broken. Make sure they know that. And on an issue like this, never make a maintenance request or follow-up without putting it in writing. This can be a form of their that you fill out, or it can be a quick letter that you type up. When they have a paper trail, it's much harder to "forget" about things that require work. (Apartment management companies eat, sleep, and breathe paperwork. They are constantly doing huge reports on everything and printing it all out to send to the regional office.) If they get uncooperative, send the requests by certified mail. Of course, be civil.
One final comment: it sounds like your electric bills are about double what they should be. If the apartment management denies the existence of a problem, it might be worthwhile to get your own guy to come out and look at it and tell you what kind of shape it's in. Even if this costs you $100, it'll be worth it if it results in action because you are throwing away more than that much in needless electric usage every month.
- Logan
On Jul 6, 7:24 pm, snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

Maintenance came today. He hooked an electric probe in two places, and in two minutes he said "it's fine." He hadn't checked the output temperature. I asked him to do that. (The A/C was off before he came, as it wasn't working right, so it's only been running for a couple minutes.) He went back to his van and got a thermometer (laser, interesting). The output temperature was 70 deg, and the house was 82 deg. I said it should be 20 deg. "Why do you think it should be 20 deg different?" he says. I told him that's what I found on the internet. He checked more wires with his probe for another 5 minutes, then checked the temperature again. It now said 64 deg (18 deg different). He said it had to run for a while to get to that temp. (Recall, he just asked why I thought is should be 20 deg.) I explained the problem of it not cooling down below 83 deg in 7 hours, and never having an electric bill like we just had in the year and a half we'd already been here. He didn't have anything to say, and didn't check anything else. He never looked at the outside part of the unit. I asked if he had a contractor HVAC license as he was leaving. He said yes. I said I'd come down with him and write the number down. When I got to his van he said I'm not giving you my contractors number, the landlord has it. I said I need to keep proper records because the cooling bill is outragous, and the A/C is not cooling the apartment. He wouldn't give it to me. I said well then I'll write down your plate number and write the state about it.
(Also, he said the previous problem las month was a broken relay.)
Unfortunately, the law doesn't require him to have a license. I just found the following on the net: G.S. 87-21 (c) To Whom Article Applies. - The provisions of this Article shall apply to all persons, firms, or corporations who engage in, or attempt to engage in, the business of plumbing, heating, or fire sprinkler contracting, or any combination thereof as defined in this Article. The provisions of this Article shall not apply to those who make minor repairs or minor replacements to an already installed system of plumbing or heating, but shall apply to those who make repairs, replacements, or modifications to an already installed fire sprinkler system.
On Jul 7, 9:27 am, snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

I can see your attitude & problem solving skills are really moving that ball forward. :)
quoting law / code ain't going to get your apt cooled off
must really suck to be you.........hope it's not too hot today for you :)

I asked if he had a license as he was leaving. Can you read?
The guy was obviously pretty clueless about A/C.
I'll be writing a detailed letter to the landlord, and the state licensing board (they may have some input even though he apparently doesn' have to know what he's doing).
On Jul 7, 9:45 am, snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

Apt getting any cooler?
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

Y'know Carie, you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
My curious mind wants to know....Are you married or single?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Hell, how about a picture? :-)

Jeff-
She wants the AC to cool her apt at a reasonable cost....I don't she's interested in catching flies :)
cheers Bob
my money's on single

Never married. Only do long-term-relationships with one person. Single for 3 months, after the last relationship of 2 years. Dating casually. I don't have to approach, but I do because I know what I want. I typically only date people with IQs above 135 (thats about a 1340 on the old SAT) - otherwise we wouldn't relate.
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

Ever considered joining Mensa?
I was invited to join about 45 years ago, but in the words of Groucho Marx, "I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member." <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:
SNIP HAPPENS

You go girl. Write that letter. It will certainly fix your AC unit. Amazing what can be done with a stamp amd an envelope.
In the mean time, you will have yet another $ 320 - 350 power bill to pay.
A smart persom would get a real repair person in to fix the unit and pay that person directly, thereby avoiding the ongoing excess power bills.
But, as you stated, your IQ is 135, so you are obviouly not smart enough to figure that out.
Not too smart, clearly wrapped too tight.
As spomeone els said, it must suck to be you.

If you go back and read my post you will see that I did not say my IQ was 135. There's a minimum intelligence limit where I can relate to someone.
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

SNIP HAPPENS
Again, since you are too stupid to figure it out, I'll repeat:
YOU GO GIRL. WRITE THAT LETTER. IT WILL CERTAINLY FIX YOUR AC UNIT. AMAZING WHAT CAN BE DONE WITH A STAMP AMD AN ENVELOPE.
IN THE MEAN TIME, YOU WILL HAVE YET ANOTHER $ 320 - 350 POWER BILL TO PAY.
A SMART PERSOM WOULD GET A REAL REPAIR PERSON IN TO FIX THE UNIT AND PAY THAT PERSON DIRECTLY, THEREBY AVOIDING THE ONGOING EXCESS POWER BILLS.
BUT, AS YOU STATED, YOUR IQ IS 135, SO YOU ARE OBVIOULY NOT SMART ENOUGH TO FIGURE THAT OUT.
NOT TOO SMART, CLEARLY WRAPPED TOO TIGHT.
AS SOMEONE ELSE SAID, IT MUST SUCK TO BE YOU.
Getting warm there this afternoon?