A/C working properly? Cost -> lower temp?

Page 3 of 14

mm & Logan-
Of course you two are correct in your analysis of whether noon is 12am or 12 pm
my original point was that 12am or 12pm can be (& is) confusing depending the understanding writer & the reader
but noon & midnight are unmistakable to all.......
cheers Bob

12:00am in used instead of 12:00pm only around 2 times in 1,000. See my post on that elsewhere in this thread: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/msg/34e1ed86acddde16?dmode=source&hl=en&output=gplain
On Jul 7, 7:58 pm, snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

I hardly ever see 12pm or 12am......
noon & midnight are MUCH more common & are nearly impossible to misconstrue because they don't need any explanation
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/msg/34e1ed86acddde16?dmode=source&hl=en&output=gplain

I posted a detailed reply to the 12:00 thing elsewhere is this thread.
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

no, shut up and go hire a repair person.
You are an annoying and self defeating fool.

Does your newsreader make you read everthing??? If you don't like the thread why are you reading it?

Maybe you can read this.... Welcome to my killfile
*PLONK*

Cause he/she is an idiot. :-)
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:
SNIP HAPPENS

Since you were too stupid to understand it the first time, let me repeat it for you:
YOU ARE AN ANNOYING AND SELF DEFEATING FOOL.
Watching a train wreck happening in slow motion can be entertaining.
You have ceased being entertaining.
YOU ARE NOW MERELY AN ANNOYING AND SELF DEFEATING FOOL..
I your AC working yet?
Didn't think so.

Still reading?

Apparently you get enjoyment reading this, or replying to it, or maybe you are a masochist. I've tried several newsreaders, and haven't seen one that makes you read particular threads.

I posted a detailed reply to the 12:00 thing elsewhere is this thread.
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

Sorry, 12:00PM is not noon.
I do have a high school diploma (and several others including post-graduate degrees). English IS my native tongue, although I can get along in a few others, including Pig Latin and Morse Code. And, before you ask, I have been to parts of South Georgia.
Sorry if I seemed pedantic or persnickety.

Sorry, 12:00 p.m. *is* noon.
Smitty Two wrote:

Only if you define twelve hours after the sun is at its highest point to be noon.

Because more than 1 person is disputing whether 12:00 PM is noon, I decided to do some looking.
TvGuide.com uses it. So does DHL, a major delivery compay. They have a service called ""DHL Next Day 12:00pm" Fedex uses it too (search Google: "12:00 pm" site:fedex.com ) Then there's the loads of radio and TV stations that use it (schedules). Here's one: The TV series "24" - where each episode covers one hour. http://www.aetv.com/24/24_episode_guide.jsp?episode 1985
Better idea. Who on Google uses "12:00 PM noon" as opposed to "12:00 AM noon?" -The searches below also match with "p.m." and "(noon)", the search is for a string, not words anywhere in a document. "12:00 PM noon" matches "about 195,000" documents on Google "12:00PM noon" matches "about 32,700" "12:00 AM noon" matches about 436 "12:00AM noon" matches about 49 So: Total documents using "12:00pm noon" or "12:00 pm noon" = 227,700 / 228,185 = 99.8% Total documents using "12:00am noon" or "12:00 am noon" = 485 / 228,185 = 0.2%
So (roughly) 2 people in 1000 think that 12:00am means noon. (The margin of error with this is not significant enough to matter.)
That should settle this, but of course it won't...
Ever watch a digital watch change from 11:59:59 AM to 12:00:00 PM?
Or how about this - what is 3-2? Of course it is 1. What I mean is that at 12:00:00PM half the day has already, at that instant, passed, and it is now the beginning of the second half of the day.
I could care less what some guy says on some government website. If we lived in a universe where time could move backwards, then that discussion would make more sense.

As I said in another part of this thread, Its not going to effect your base rate of pay, so who gives a rats ass.
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

But you hold that FedEx, a 24!, and, most importantly, TV Guide are somehow kept under glass at the National Bureau of Standards as exemplars of institutional knowledge?
Your observations are, however, excellent! I blame the school systems. Heck, in my state 60% of high school biology teachers (according to a recent survey) believed that humans and dinosaurs were contemporaries!
Science and standards are not subject to majority vote (except in the case of global warming), so whatever "votes" you discover are meaningless. Well, there is obviously a nuggest of truth in the numbers, but that nugget has nothing to do with the subject matter.
Your searches (12:00AM noon, et al) were wrong. There is no such thing in the real world as "12:00AM noon." 12:00 a.m and noon are contradictory - they cannot both exist at the same time. Likewise "12:00 p.m. and noon" are also mutually exclusive.
But because something cannot exist does not mean you won't find Google references. Heck "living+dead" resulted in almost 90 million hits, "black+white" yields almost 400 million events, "catholic+atheist" shows over 2 million instances!
An appeal to Google as an arbiter of physical standards is not the epitome of scientific rigor.
Ignorance can be fixed. It's knowing something that's wrong that's a shame.

You think that Google has an opinion on this matter??? You think Google is not indexing pages that contain "12:00am noon" for purposes of squewing results??? This may have something to do with your not understanding my analysis.
You say 12:00am and noon are contradictory. Yes. That's the point. You say 12:00pm and noon are mutually exclusive. You don't know what mutually exclusive means if you also think 12am and noon are contradictory. Elementary logic 101. Mutually exclusive means both can't be the case at the same time, like being pregnant and not being pregnant at the same time. This lack of logical ability and lack of grasping the meaning of commonly used phrases (mutually esclusive) could have something to do with your not understaing my analysis. (If you are going to come back and say you think 12:00am and 12:00pm are both contradictory to noon (it appears you may believe mutually exclusive means redundant, but I can't read your mind), then you need to look up contradictory. Just letting you know so you can do that in advance of replying.)
On a related note: "12:00pm" and "12:00 pm" match about 24,180,000 documents. "Mutually exclusive," which you used even though you don't know what it means, matches about 2,240,000 documents, far fewer. Do you see the point? You used something much less common than "12:00 pm" incorrectly.