A/C working properly? Cost -> lower temp?

I don't want to give the impression that tenants have rights. IN some places there are tenants rights laws, but in most places afaik, there are none. And they only have the rights that are in the lease, and in general contract law or common law. Plus even those rights can be trampelled, especially if the landlord is wicked or if you tick off the landlord.
mm wrote:

If you rent, and you need something fixed ,if it is not fixed in a reasonable amount of time, you send a letter to your landlord with the problem ,and that their rent money will be held in rent court until the item is fixed. I have done this many times and all problems were fixed before the rent was due. J.

That's not the law everywhere**. In some places, rural places for example are especially likely places, there is no rent court that will hold money until something is fixed. Laws are passed all the time, and repealed once in a while, and I don't do this for a living or know about the entire nation, but I'm sure this is the situation in lots of places.
There may be whole states where that is not the law.
**It's not the procedure in NYC even, though it has very strong pro-tenant laws.

I've been pretty negative about tenants rights. I had forgotten that part of that stems from my experience with my mother.
Some cities have tenants rights organisations which are a quick and pretty easy way to get information from a tenants pov about what his rights are. If I lived in a small city or rural area, I'd try to find out if the big city in that area had one, and they would know if protection was state-wide, county-wide, whatever.
If there is no tenants org, there are much more likely to be legal clinics for the poor, and even if one is not poor, I don't see an ethical problem getting a few minutes of basic information from a place like that. Landlord/tenant problems one of the biggest sources of legal problems for the poor, and I would expect that most of these people sympathize with the needs of even those tenants who are not poor. What they don't want to do is get a new client that needs hours of their time, when he's not within their income level. Ask for a person who specializes in landlord problems, or stop by and they may have pamphlets which summarize the tenants rights laws. They have minimum income requirements for some things, but I'd be surprised if they wouldn't give yuou a brochure and then answer questions for five minutes, or maybe even 10.
In the case of my mother, she lived in Allentown, Pa, and was going to move here because I lived here. She lived in a garden apartment area, and the rental office did not permit month to month tenants. She had to sign a new one year lease every year. She or her husband had negotiated with them and arrangged, by paying a premium, to sign 3-month leases. But that really didn't help her much. She spent her whole life being thrifty, and was determined to move into her new place here the day after her lease expeired in Pa. and to not pay the same months rent at two different places, or maybe it was not not pay more than one month's rent at two different places. So if she didn't find a good place to live, she had to wait 3 months for another time to look.
The place had lots of vacancies, and would have actually benefitted by letting someone like her be month to month. She might have hunted for the best apartment for 6 more months and continued to pay rent at the old place alll that time. Instead she rushed to find something acceptable at the end of the first and second 3-month periods.
I thought she just didn't negotiate right, because at leaset in her dealings with me, she could be a little testy. So I called the office and got no further than she did. They wouldn't tell me who owned the property.
So I called the county clerks office, and asked the woman if she would look it up, and asked if I called back in two hours, if that would be enough time for her to find it, and she said yes, and when I called back she gave me 3 names and business addresses, out of state.
So I used the telephone information to find out one or two of the phone numbers, at their business, and one guy told me was a silent partner, and gave me the other guy's number, and I talked to him and explained that my mother was 80 years old and this would be her last apartment, and I wanted her to have as much time as needed to find a good one, but that she was rushing to not pay extra rent and that it was in his financial interest to let her be month to month.
And he gave me a one-time one month extension. Which might have helped, but turned out not to. He woudn't just make her month to month. All the fights I had with my landlord in NY didn't have nearly the effect of understanding the hostilitiy of tenants to landlords as this experience.
As it turns out she moved to a place that ended up being disastrous for my mother, although I don't know that she would have found a seemingly better place if she had mroe time, or that she wouldn't have picked the same place (which didn't have any problems that one could see), or that the same thing couldn't have happened anyplace else. And when she was having these disastrous problems, it didn't occur to me that it was the apartment she chose that caused them, or that if she had had a more relaxed time to pick. That is, it wasn't the place per se exactly, it was things that happened there that might possibly have happened anywhere, even if a little less likely. Actually I only thought about the possible relationship between her lack of time and the bad results tonight, but I did think at the time I called the landlord, how selfish I thought her landlord was. I think being a landlord brings out the worst in some people, and attracts the worst kind of people iln other cases. What fraction of all landlords these two categories form, I don't know. What fraction of landlords are bad, I have no idea. I know they are sorely tested by tenants, including tenants who rented from your landlord before you got there.
I dont think the case in this thread is at the stage of needing to know tenants rights. If the apartment came with AC, the landlord is obliged to fix it within a reasonable time, and afaict, he's trying to do that. We haven't heard that he's been negligent with other tenants, and eitehr the OP probably has the resources to move if she accidentally moved to a place with a bad landlord, or she can convince him its in his longterm interest to fix things, at least those that affect her, and only a little more expensive to fix them quickly than slowly.

mm wrote:

MAJOR snippage
Hey M&M take your BS candy elsewhere this has nothing to do with the orginal post so scram!
Carie I am not AC person however I am refrigeration Tech. representing OEMs from many parts of our country. I have read about dozens answers and I had it enough. In my opinion any central domestic unit if can't bring temperature down to 72 in let say 3 hours is not worth having, so you tell you service people fix it or install new one there is no excuse for something like that. leave unit running for hours leave unit running overnight bullshit if was me two hours would be a limit. from reading some info. that unit seems to be around two ton which it should be enough unless your cool air is going some place ales, like cracked duct work and your unit is cooling parking lot or roof.

"cracked " ductwork , LMFAO Better stick to refrigeration , lol

You are not worth for me to answer that

your not from around here are you ?

You like oversized systems, bigger is better, Eh?
Carie? #1 I have posted before from what I read in posting? If you apartment Is 1500 Sq. feet, tomb rule "you need 3 ton".
#2 If you AC unit is drawing only around 15 amps at full load your unit is only 1,1/2 ton "not big enough".
#3 If you unit is freezing out side as some one posted? you have heat pump and it is working in reveres.
#4 If you unit is heat pump and it has booster heaters for winter see that are not ON at same time while is cooling.
#5 If your unit have high back pressure and low discharge pressure it is good possibility that compressor is going bad.
#6 If unit is heat pump you definitely need to check operating pressures looking at unit would not help.
#7 If it is heat pump mechanic must check switching or diverting solenoid's which make change from winter to summer condition.
#8 Last but not least source power and that compressor is running continuously and not shutting down intermittently
I believe you have stated that at one time was working ok Then check # 3,4,5,6,7&8 Tony www.cas-environ.com

You really need to get some training and/or experience before you go spouting off a bunch of BS

???

A piston system with a gross overcharge will freeze from the compressor back to the evap, whereas if its running real low on refrigerant, or there is no airflow, it will freeze from the evap to the compressor. It doesn't matter if its A/C or a heat pump, it works the same.

back
no
What??
I have never come across this and have a hard time imagining it. Normally if they're grossly overcharged, they'll be slugging the compressor with liquid refrigerant. That normally happens after a (so-called) service tech charges the unit with too much refrigerant. Then the unit starts making a noise, so they condemn the system.
You get the call and find that the unit is overcharged. Recover the refrigerant and fix the actually problem and then the system normally operates just fine.
So the question is, how can a system be overcharged, yet it freezes??

I have not seen this on a TXV system, only fixed oriface/piston systems (10SEER).... Remember what I told you about putting the temp clamp on the suction as a "quick and dirty" method of indicating under/over charged systems?? Think about the ST with an undercharged system....superheat is very high(ST 75 - 85 degrees), overcharged system will be very low ...........ST below 50 and the lower the temp, the greater the overcharge. If a system is running with a 30 degree ST, you can figure a minimum of 2 - 3 pounds of overcharge on most resi systems. Also remember that I told you that the gauges are the very last thing you put to the system, after everything else is clean and right.

thing.
is
Normally
high(ST
50
overcharge
Not so fast Scooby Doo...
The overcharged system (if everything else is operating ok) is going to have a higher suction pressure (on an orifice metering system). On a normal system you're going to have a 70+ suction pressure (which is 41 degrees F with R-22). If the system is overcharged, the suction pressure goes up 70+ (which is 41+ F with R-22). Since you can't have a negative superheat, your suction temp is going to be 41+ F.
In order for your suction temp to be under 32 degrees F, the suction pressure has to be 58 PSI or under. That's not going to happen with a system that is overcharged, unless it has other problems.

A normal R22 system will have a "normal" suction pressure of 60 - 70psi.....most of the scroll systems are closer to 60psi. also remember that when you have overcharge, and the temp drops on the suction line, the pressure is going to drop also. What your talking about is only a slight overcharge. With a gross overcharge, you have no superheat, and your ST is going to be around 32 degrees or lower, and the entire compressor is going to be sweating. I see a lot of that here.... "Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob" comes along and says "Its no cooling, let me throw in a couple of pounds of that freezone stuff"..... occasionally they will call him back 2 or 3 times, and the only problem was the evap coil was dirty.

Try this... take a 10 SEER system, and dump in an extra 2 or 3 pounds of refrigerant then take a set of readings, then get back to me.

there
below
you
70+
that
along
and
Dirty evaporator... that's the OTHER problem, the overcharge wasn't the cause of the freeze up.

Grossly overcharged... is 5-12 pounds enough? I have recovered that much from a system to make it right! :-) These systems all had noisy compressor's due to slugging.
Had one the other day... 2-3 pounds extra... compressor was slugging.
Sorry, I just can't see an overcharged air conditioner freezing.

Condenser freezing because of overcharge that would be some a MAGICAL system. So I tout I seen everything I guess not. Tony