A/C working properly? Cost -> lower temp?

LOL
There's some bright ones here, Tekkie! :-)
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Like the saying: We don't have ALL the assholes; but we have a very large percentage...

different).
Carie, Logan is lost as to what the actual problem is...
Logan Shaw wrote:

It could be that when she steps into the apartment, that something generating more heat than the A/C unit can counter also simultaneously appears in the living area?

Quit screwing with that loser, call a pro to fix it, pay the man then deduct it from your rent.

I hear you can do that in Illinois, or that use to be the case - maybe other places. The contract says no tenant repairs or improvements will be deducted from the rent. Of course that wouldn't matter if the contract was in IL because the law overrules it, but I don't believe that's the case here.
Carie is it chance that your ac also have electrical heat you could have both on at same time??????????? Tony

carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:
SNIP HAPPENS

Used- past tense, no use.
Try to learn correct grammer. You might get better SAT scores with which to impress us all.
On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 07:12:31 -0700, jJim McLaughlin

LOL! Try learning to spell GRAMMAR.

Complaining about newsgroup grammer and spelling... Why am I replying? Well, my CLEP w/essay was above the 99th &... (that was standardized based on test results from people who just completed English 101). Didn't take English 101...
On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 08:47:43 -0700, carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

This is a standard juvenile pissing contest, and you have both succeeded in drenching each other, as well as yourselves. This would be a really good time for both of you to take a time out, before somebody drowns, or the rest of us die laughing at you.
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

Wow. I'm impressed. Not.
Is your AC working yet?
Have you figured out how to get it fixed now?
Or are you still waiting for your letter, envelope and stamp to fix the AC?
Not too smart, and still wrapped far too tight.

Having an advanced degree in liberal arts only means you don't have to wear the paper hat when you ask "Do you want fries with that??"
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

big FUCKIN deal! Now GET LOST!

She will, right after everyone that's posted to this group understands the difference between AM/PM and operating hours!!!!!

different).
deduct
Is it in the contract that your living space has air conditioning?

Yes, and the same list is of things the landlord agrees to maintain.

internet.
most
adjust
him
then
And he's not, so get it repaired and have him reimburse you or take it off the rent.
On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 09:41:55 -0700, carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

No, I'm not being sarcastic. It certainly wasn't working the night before. It may not have worked 10 minutes earlier, and it may not be working ten minutes later, but if there was an 18 degree differential, it was working then.
I didn't say he fixed it. I said it was working then.
It's very hard to fix something when it is working. That's why Click and Clack, or anyone, tell customers to leave their cars at the shop the night before, when people have cars that work badly when first started, but work ok later. Some people will go to a service station and tell them it's hard to start in the morning, can you fix it? But they very often can't, because it's either not morning anymore or the person drove 3 miles to the service station and the engine is warm now, and it's working fine.
But even things that don't require warming up can have intermittent problems. (Long story snipped before it was completed. Just take my word.)
Even if the spec sheet says it should be 20, it's stilll working pretty well, and if were able to stay that way, it would still cool your apartment to the temp you want.

He may well have been incompetent, but your relationship is with your landlord and not with this guy or the AC company.
You can make notes and calmly tell the landlord that he was ready to leave after making two measurements with the voltmeter, but always be polite.
I've lived in several apartments and one in Brooklyn NY for 11 years. Actually one year in 4C and 10 years in 5A. The building was a nice building, and the old woman landlady sold it after I had been there 3 or 4 years, to a European immigrant. I already had a policy of doing my own repairs, and the aparment needed little anyhow. But I couldn't do plaster and when there was a leak or something in the bathroom above mine, I let him send his guy to repair the plaster, and it looked like the icing on a cake, with all the hills and swirls. Pitiful. He also thought he was a plumber and tried to fix the big oil burner/boiler (6 stories, 49 units, steam heat) but he really didn't know how. (There was a bucket in the furance room half full of oil where he seemed unable to stop an oil drip in one of the pipes related to the furnace. And other things.)
He also tried to evict me illegally. I was 2 weeks late on the rent and he thought or said he thought I was 6 weeks late. He also only gave me 48 hours notice, on a FRiday morning when I was going away for the weekend, instead of starting with the required 30-days notice, which he just skipped altoghether. So Monday morning, I didnt' go to work, and I was inside the aparment with the door locked and chained, and I wouldn't open the door for the city marshall, who had come to evict me. I insisted on talking to the landlord first and he wasn't at his office (before cell phones) but they called him and he called me, and I convinced him I he had proceeded illegally as I say above, and that if he did get me out, I was going to win in court for moving charges, storage charges, plus the illegal eviction. (You can do this with a good chance of success in NYC where tenants have rights. But in almost all small cities and most big cities, tenants have fewer rights than in NYC. So check before doing anything.)
I ended up agreeing to leave the apartment and go with his guy Friday to my bank where I would get the money to pay that months's rent, and to pay 3 or 4 hundred dollars to the marshall who also had to pay the moving van for showing up even though they didn't move my stuff.
Did I yell at the landlord or curse him? Did I ever do that? No, because those things would have not helped me.
I did however, withhold my rent on two occasions that we didn't have heat, and of the three times he took me to court, once I broke even, once I was awarded 100 dollars iirc, and once 200 dollars for the electricity I used to make up for the heat he didn't give me.
If you don't live in New York City, it is very dangerous to withhold rent. In most places you will get evicted for this, no matter how valid your claim might be. You may win money later but your claim will not stop your eviction, which will go much quicker than in NY as well. This is true even for heat, but for air conditioning, people have almost no rights, partly because very few people will die without AC, but many die without heat, and partly because AC is relatively new, and didn't exist or wasn't very common when most tenants rights laws were written, several decades ago.
Well, finally, I was ready to move, and I told him I would move if he gave me 1000 dollars (part to make up for what I shouldn't have had to pay the marshall, and part for the interest on my secuity deposit for 11 years, which he was obliged by NYS law to give me but I was pretty sure he woudln't, and part for aggravation.
And he agreed. And his lawyer told him not to give me the money until after I moved out. And I told them I wouldn't move out until I had the money. (I must admit. I didn't tell them I had bought a house already in Baltimore, and accepted a job, and was leaving for sure. I told him I had found an apartment in Queens, so he would think I might not move after all.)
And Alex, the landlord, told the lawyer and his guy Friday (who told me this story), "You can trust Michael".
He trusted me because I had never lied to him, I had never cursed him, I had never yelled at him or insulted him, I had never called him at home (even though neighbors had, some in the middle of the night, and they had given me his home number)
Even when we didn't have heat in the middle of the night, I used my electric heater, and didn't call him at home. I also treated him and anyone who answered the phone with politeness and respect, no matter what I was actually thinking about him.

I mentioned a moving van above, now snipped. Don't expect a moving van. In NYC, LLs are required when evicting someone to put their stuff in a moving van and take it to a storage location, where they can redeem it, by paying the moving and storage, I think.
IN most places in the US and elsewhere, all they do is take your stuff and put it on the sidewalk. Where it may be rained on, or people can take it.
I was in Westminster Md, a town of maybe 5,000 near here, and someone's stuff was in the corner of a parking lot of an apartment building with 3 long police sawhorses around it, and a poster stapled to each one that said something like, Police property, or Do not remove. This was meant to keep other people than the tenant from stealing the stuff, and that's better than most places, but I wouldn't count on it.