A/C working properly? Cost -> lower temp?

Page 1 of 14
It's 90 deg. outside, humidity is 37%. The A/C is set to 80 deg. The temp in the apartment is at 83 deg, and hasn't gone below that. The A/ C has been running non-stop for hours. The temp out of the vents is colder than the air in the apartment, but not a lot colder. (I don't have a thermometer.)
Maintenance fixed the A/C only a month ago when it completely quit working. Our electric bill that month was $320 for a 800 sq ft apartment.
Maintenance is coming tomorrow. How do I make sure they fix the unit right, or make the landlord replace it if it won't work properly? The electric bill is outragous.
The unit doesn't show a manufacturing date, and I can't find the model no. on the manufacturer's website. Here's what the stickers say: Goodman Manufacturing Co, 1501 Seamist Dr, Houston, TX 77008 Model No. AW30-05C Part No. 20203-23 Regrig 22 Design PSIG 150 Heater Amps 208/240V Motor 1PH 60HZ 3.5 Amps 1/3 HP Single Circuit 17.3/20.0 Min Circuit Ampicity 26/29 Max Overcurrent Protection 30/30 UL Listed - G0587770080
Also, once the unit works properly, how much more does it cost to keep the apartment at 76 as opposed to 80 (above conditions)?
Thanks
On Jul 6, 7:24 pm, snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

I think this numbers above are for the heater... Here's the data from the big fan thing outside: Goodman Manufacturing Co. Model No. CPKJ24-1A Operating volts 197-253 208/230 Min circuit amps 15.3 Compressor RLA 11.5 LRA 60.0 Fan Motor FLA 0.9 HP 1/6 Part No. 14930-177
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

That is a 2-Ton condenser for a mere 800-sq.ft. in a dry climate, it should handle that heatload with ease! If the interior of your home has a low humidity, a mere 90-F outdoors is not a heavy load on that system - when it is operating properly. A room temperature of 76-F should not be difficult to achieve with a very moderate electric usage.
I cool over 800-Sq.Ft in an old 1930's home with a lot of windows with a mere Half-Ton window unit. Your unit is rated at 4 Times the BTUH and mine will pull the temperature down to 76-F with outdoor Heat Index at 104-F. http://www.udarrell.com/airconditioner_current_temperature_btuh_charting.html
Check my pages & use a thermometer to get all the needed readings. Post the data. There may be some useful clues in that test data. Do the outdoor condenser Temp-Split, it can also be helpful. - udarrell

I just posted a description of what maintenance didn't do as a reponse to my original post.
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

You really need a thermometer. The output of a properly-functioning A/C should be in the neighborhood of 20 degrees less than the room's ambient air.
Cost varies dramatically depending on your location and the cost per KWH. For example, I'm in Houston (same latitude as Cairo) and my electric bill (for 1500 sq ft), keeping a temp of 72 degrees, was less than yours.
HeyBub wrote:

Second the use of thermometer. It's the best test.
As mentioned above, if working correctly, the output should be about 20F lower than the input (room temp).

I just posted a description of what maintenance didn't do as a reponse to my original post.

I'd sure hope so!!!

Running for hours could mean anything more than one hour. There's not much information there. Let it run overnight. If it can't bring the apartment down to temperature overnight, then there's something definitely wrong with it.
Don

It's been running non-stop since 12:00 PM, it's 7:46PM, and the temp is still 83 deg, thermostat still at 80 deg. I would not have said "hours" if it wasn't...
I am not a HVAC person, but here are my goodman a/c symtoms, and cure Goodman 2 1/2 ton split systen Outside kept running. inside, airhandler fan, wasn't running. Opening side of airhandler, you could see the coil was frozen, It also froze part of the condensor coil, outside.
It would be ok for a few days, then freexe up.
The problem was the fan relay, which turns the fan on. It's located in the airhandler, with the other wiring.
Good luck with it. Someone here might know the problem

Outside coil froze up too my ass!
On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:47:19 -0700, carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

You missed his point, that hours can mean 2 or 200. So we don't know your personality and what you would have said it if, in your opinion, it wasn't, and even if you would not have said "hours" if it wasn't, we still didn't know how many hours. You could have said 7 hours and that would have been clear.
Don't be snotty, especially when you're asking for free advice.
Is there any chance the fan is on ON, and the thermostat is not accurate? Turn the thermostat down to 70 and see if goes lower than it is now.
Also check the outside unit and see if it is making noise, and see if you can tell if the noise is the fan and the compressor, or just the fan.

You've got to be kidding. Enough "hours" that any human who has ever used A/C would recognize that there's a problem. Here's what he said: "Running for hours could mean anything more than one hour. There's not much information there. Let it run overnight. If it can't bring the apartment down to temperature overnight, then there's something definitely wrong with it."
Gee, do you really think there's something wrong if it can't get down to 80 deg overnight??? (It would do that with open windows and no A/ C.) I think I was more than polite.
The fan is on "Auto," so as to not recirculate air through vents in a hot attic when the compressor isn't on.
On Jul 7, 1:13 am, snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

OP-
Your original post was unclear as to exactly how many "hours" it had been running 2? 3? 6?
Trying to determine AC performance without thermometer is futile
Oh & for clarity don't use 12:00PM ....use noon or midnight to avoid confusion
Clearly your AC unit is not working....for a 800 sq ft apt get a window unit. It's in your interest to reduce the operating costs you can easily save the cost of the unit in a few months.
cheers Bob

I wouldn't want advice from someone who didn't know, clearly, without having to think about it for an instanct, that 12:00PM is noon, and 12:00AM is midnight.

not
apartment
wrong
Geez.... $320 electric bill people.
Come-on... are you all clueless???????
On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 01:13:10 -0700, carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

No I"m not. Plenty of idiots post here. How do we tell who is an idiot and who isn't? Even half or more of the seemingly smart people fail to give enough information in their first post. EVen things they already know.
We had one a couple days ago who dribbled out the important information a little at a time until most people had I'm sure stopped reading the thread before all the important facts were in.

And did you say that you had ever used AC before?
And again, you hadn't said how many hours. We can't read your mind.
What you think that any buman (who has ever used AC) would recognize might well not be what someone else thinks.

You were no way "more than polite". I think you were less than polite. You told him how many hours and then said "I would not have said "hours" if it wasn't..." as though he is supposed to know you personally and know you how reliably you report the facts. As if he had insulted you and you had to make it clear that you didn't deserve the insult. I woudn't have given the reply he did , but he didn't insult you. He explained why "hours" wasn't enough, and then he made a suggestion, to run it overnight, I presume because you first posted at 7:24PM Eastern Time.
And even if you are 100% reliable, you still don't get it that different people have different ideas of what is enough time for things to cool down. It's inevitable that at least a few of them will think that too little time is enough. How do we know you're not in that category?
Most people, when they said hours and the other person said, in whatever words, How many hours?, would just have replied, "Sorry. Seven."

Good to know.

The reason is fine, but even someone who intends to keep his fan on Auto, for whatever reason, might accidentally knock it to ON. Or he might put it to ON for testing and forget that he did so. Just yesterday someone posted about flipping a switch and not remembering a that he did. That's why it's important to check.

BobK207 thinks enough of peoples intelligence to say "Oh & for clarity don't use 12:00PM ....use noon or midnight to avoid confusion." (The next most recent post in this thread, sorted by time.)
On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 08:20:20 -0700, carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

I saw his post. It's not bad advice. I got an 800 on my math SATs, as high as the score goes, and it wasn't until I was 45 or so that I finally got straight which was which. I finally came up with a way to remmeber which was which. Logic is my thing, and not memorization. There are lots of people who for lots of reasons haven't got it straight, and it's good policy to make things as easy as possible for people who are trying to help. It's almost the equivalent of removing things that are in front of the furnace before the repairman gets there, even though he can and will do it himself.
What's worse than AM and PM is 12m and 12M. I still don't know which one of those is noon. I wonder how many people do.
When my mother hired a painter, she took off all he wall plates before he got there and put them back on after he left. And other stuff like that. They made that agreement so she could pay less. (She also told me he was "blind", but I'm not sure what that meant. He did a good job.)