A/C Transformer Hum

A Trane dealer installed a new a/c unit last fall. It has been working fine but I just wanted to get an independent opinion about something.

There is a constant low-level hum coming from the inside unit even when the fan is not blowing, just enough to be noticeable near the unit when the house is quiet.

I called the installer and they sent someone out who identified it as transformer hum and he ordered a new transformer. After the new part was installed, the humming noise is still there. My previous 20-year old unit was quiet in-between cycles. I Is this considered normal? Do you think it's the transformer itself or does some housing just need to be tightened?

Thanks.

Reply to
pixel_a_ted

Hi, If it is loosely mounted or iron core lamination is loose it can hum (really slight mechanical vibration at 60Hz). Or it could be cheaply built one with bad core material. If tightening everything does not fix it, try another brand. If it is not hot to touch the hum itself won't hurt anything. Just my two bits.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Transformer... it's normal for today's equipment.

Reply to
<kjpro

I don&#39;t know what your fussing about, I love a good hummer ;-)

Reply to
Noon-Air

Sometimes, if you take the door off the unit and bash the transformer with a rock a bit, it will stop the hum. If there is anything left of the rock when you finish, please take it to Stormy and let him finish some self administered bashing. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

As T. Hwang put it I agree, if you are annoyed with hum try another MFG. there is no reason for small trns. to hum unless is made in Korea or china or maybe Mexico but again that is my opinion, don&#39;t blame service person because he must use what is suggested by OEM Tony

Reply to
Mr.Tony to you

That eliminates 99% of them. LOL

Reply to