A/C started freezing after condenser hosing (?)

Hadn't frozen yet this season - but right after I cleaned the outside condensing unit it started.

I usually need to add some freon every year.

Would a low charge, for some reason, be more apparent with increased air flow thru the condenser??

Reply to
Bob(but not THAT Bob)

Then you have a leak. These are sealed units, they do not consume freon.

Fix the leak. Adding freon is not the way to go. You are getting contaminants in there with the new stuff.

Also, it's illegal.

Reply to
TimR

Whats Illegal?? over 40 years adding cooling gases to thousands of units and now I find its a crime! As for repairing leaks...Thousands of Evaps and Condenser cores have tiny expansion pinholes that makes it cheaper for owners to top off from time to time. The possibility of putting sealers in to cure problems exists...But usually causes more problems. As for the mixed gases leaking the smaller molecule gas out first is more myth then fact. A hole big enough to leak..has been proven to leak all mixtures without discrimination. You really must stop drinking the manufacturers and Governments cool aide. >

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

You got it. Low refrigerant.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

aminants in there with the new stuff.

No, you found it was a crime when you took the same certification course I did. You do have a license, don't you?

Plus it's just bad craftsmanship. You don't top off freon once a year. If it gets low you find the leak and fix it. That's the way the pros do it, and the way the good amateurs do it. The hackers top it off, take the cash , and run on to the next sucker.

I'll bet you don't own a recovery unit and you don't pull a vaccuum before you charge a unit, either.

Reply to
TimR