A/C size and short cycling

Page 2 of 2
On 11/24/2015 9:14 PM, Bill wrote:

If you ask the others on this list, they will tell you all about me. Some correct, mostly not.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/24/2015 2:12 PM, Bill wrote:

I take it that you are too damned lazy to form your own NG. What are you going to do if we remove this one? Obviously we no longer need it..and the Webpage will be dead also in the near future. If you need some of those APPS...you better get them now. Paul Milligan is dead and no one wants to maintain his page.

PaxPerPoten wrote:

Who is "we"; why don't you remove it yourself? You apparently don't understand how they work...

On 11/24/2015 8:13 PM, Bill wrote:
Billy-bob..you are an idiot

I opted out, but my vote aided in bringing it about. There are others that think idiots like you give a NG a bad name and are considering the easy-peasy removal of the group. Not my decision and I don't care.
You apparently don't

Apparently I do and you don't or you would set one up for vote, yourself.
Just working from memory..I believe it is [RFC 1700} Maybe you should check out all the RFC's!

PaxPerPoten wrote:

you're an idiot? I meet all types on this Internet-thingy--but you are the IOTD (Idiot Of The Day)! Smile!

PaxPerPoten wrote:

Mr. Jerko, It's RFC 1036 that you want! Now git!!!
On 11/24/2015 10:16 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

He is a handyman. Even did locks and other odd jobs. Never married. A bit overweight. Not very knowledgeable on his own professed religion. He did take a lot of heat from the professionals when everyone was still here,\.
amdx posted for all of us...

Look up my cautionary statements in alt.home.repair
Religion issues aside, he is dangerous and a crook, as self admitted many years ago. Just because you get an answer doesn't mean the answer is correct or even non-lethal.
--
Tekkie

On 12/7/2015 2:09 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Those people got out of intensive care, and will return to relatively normal life in a few years, if you didn't hear already. And only two died. So there!
Tekkie® wrote:

I have found him just the opposite, steering me clear of potential "issues". There seem to be a few here who for there own reasons wish to cast an aura of doubt over all posters...

On 12/7/2015 8:29 PM, Bill wrote:

I do have my good and bad days. Often I can side with the folks who want to DIY. And some days I am the contractor who didn't get the call because someone DIY. So, I can either be the miserable old crank, or the helpful tech.
Both comments are accurate. BTW, I just got in from a round of baby puppy polo, stabled my horse, and hung up my polo mallets. Had to end my session of slingshot kitten burning, when the fire department arrived.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/8/2015 11:12 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You have never been a Contractor. You are unlicensed, uninsured and definitely unbonded./ Your state requires all of these thing. Plus in order to get them..You have to first get your Apprenticeship completed(4 yrs)..Journeyman(2 yrs)..Master (1 yr) and then pass the test and all of the above to finally make contractor. But you knew all of that and still fibbed to the gullible masses. You go to jail here for that.
who didn't get the call because

PaxPerPoten wrote:

experience, and even family, I think I have a leg-up on you. But please don't feel bad.

There might be some reasons to lean either over or under "calculated" size.
Some years ago I figured I didn't need no expert to install a mini split AC. So I started by diligently following the sizing guide I found on a Consumer Reports web site. I forget the size that it came up with after taking the type of construction, number/type of windows, sun facing, my area of the country, insulation type/quantity, room use, etc..
spent a few hours dicking with the silly thing, only to come up with a number that seemed totally too large based on the results I saw with my relatively new (undersized) window unit.
Knowing from the get-go that smaller means more efficient I opted for the same capacity as the window unit figuring that for the 10-15 days a year that I might be too warm it was a reasonable trade-off.
I have never in the last 5 years had a too warm condition. Not one day did I regret my decision. The mini-split AC lowered my electric bill significantly.
What the mini split seems to do is get rid of moisture lickety-split, compared to the window unit... Where I was setting the window unit to 68 to have ~72 in the room I can set the mini split to 80 after its been running awhile, and stay very comfortable. Likewise the water dribbling out the drain could water my garden - something that the window unit with its water-slinger fan design wouldn't do.
Does that sound reasonable to an expert?
When you do these calculations do you take into account the moisture removal rates of various systems? The CR site that I got for doing calculations didn't say anything about humidity removal.
I live in coastal NC and chose the heat pump version which comes with a slightly larger (and supposedly more-better moisture removal) evaporator (inside the house gizmo) for the same size compressor.condenser that the same capacity AC only uses.
And BTW I would have used an expert to do the installation, I wasn't trying to do it on the cheap (the hardware already cost plenty so I'd rather have had a pro do it for the peace of mind) but back then the local boys didn't want to touch mini-split at all, and had nothing but derogatory things to say about it. I notice that that has changed today.
My wife is going to ditch the fuel oil heating system and window AC units (at her house) for a mini-split multi zone system that will be installed by a pro.
On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 7:13:40 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Not everybody agrees but I would say your system is sized about right. On the worst day it won't quite keep up but the rest of the time it does fine. If you size it for the worst day it will short cycle in milder temperature.
It is possible newer systems with variable output can compensate, I don't know enough about using them in residential. We have only commercial at work, and older systems in our residential.
TimR wrote:

I have dual stage with variable speed blower system. Most of time it stays in first stage but when condition calls for it throttles up to second stage. Thermostat has some primitive smart(AI and fuzzy logic) which determines the operation mode.
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
TimR wrote:

I have dual stage with variable speed blower system. Most of time it stays in first stage but when condition calls for it throttles up to second stage. Thermostat has some primitive smart(AI and fuzzy logic) which determines the operation mode.
Sense it seems that you have decided to do something and you whish to spend some green stuff "IF" possible why not look into system and install (2) 2.5 tons it will give you much more control where in part of house you can set different temperatures front where is more traffic set to cooler while bedrooms can be set little warmer. I been here long time but because of host changes and fisical locations have change the user name couple times!! tony258, tony944, old grumpy , guys hope you have nice Thanks giving I did!!!