A/C size and short cycling

Page 1 of 2  
I have not had a manual J done. However, based on the past 10 years experi ence with a 4 ton A/C system, I've been able to keep the humidity down and be cool during the summer here in central Florida. However, there are usua lly a few times during the summer - when it is extremely hot outside and/or we have many guests - oven on all day - people coming in and out, etc. whe re we have not been able to get the temperature below 79 or 80. These days , I swore I would get a 5 ton unit when it was time to replace it. But now I am having second thoughts because I am more concerned with short cycling and having higher humidity.
One installer said this is not a big concern, because a 5 ton, dual stage c ompressor with variable speed air handler would work at a reduced rating to help keep humidity low and would only boost up to full capacity when it wa s needed during those few times a year. And he also mentioned being able t o control humidity with the thermostat.
Thanks.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/16/2015 3:44 PM, lborne wrote:

system, I've been able to keep the humidity down and be cool during the summer here in central Florida. However, there are usually a few times during the summer - when it is extremely hot outside and/or we have many guests - oven on all day - people coming in and out, etc. where we have not been able to get the temperature below 79 or 80. These days, I swore I would get a 5 ton unit when it was time to replace it. But now I am having second thoughts because I am more concerned with short cycling and having higher humidity.

speed air handler would work at a reduced rating to help keep humidity low and would only boost up to full capacity when it was needed during those few times a year. And he also mentioned being able to control humidity with the thermostat.

Your mother and I both love you very much.
She and I both notice you did not ask any questions, which is fine.
- . Christopher A. Young learn more about Jesus . www.lds.org . .
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The OP says he is having second thoughts about getting 5 tons versus 4, despite an installer opinion that dual-stage compressor should not short cycle.
How explicit does the OP need to be here?
His question is obvious: Is the installer correct?
Why do old timers here find it neccesary to jerk people's chains?? Why not just HELP the OP?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Funny -I'm an old timer myself. I've probably been on the newsgroups, and v arious bbs, longer than most here - since 1987. Not specifically al.hvac, but alt.home.repair. I have noticed people are a lot less helpful and a bi g increase in trolls.
But anyway, I actually posted, and then deleted this post because an instal ler came back with the Manual J calculations for my home. He actually meas ured all the windows and doors to get accurate inputs. From the calculatio n, it shows I need a 4.8 ton for max cooling (92 F outside, 75 F inside).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
lborne wrote:

If you over size the system, it'll short cycle and that'll lower system efficiency as well. Better talk to trust worthy expert installer. I am OT too. Fortunately I retired from Honeywell, I can draw from guys still working there regarding matters like this, LOL!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I too am an old timer, using Darpanet at my work many decades ago, and running a BBS with my son in the early 80's.
The alt.hvac newsgroup in particular has a history of snarky and obnoxious non-helpful trolls even dating back 10-15 years. Sadly some other groups seem to be slowly sinking into a cesspool as well, with the home repair group suffering the impact of some really shit-filled traffic originated by only a few but sustained by active feeding.
The reply to the original post which pathetically tried to be clever and taunt you from the religious storming fellow near Palmyra NY is an utterly inconsiderate piece of ironic conceit. Sad because he's a very knowledgable and supposedly pro hominem devout person, yet his jerky answers betray him time after time.
BTW, I have 4 tons dual stage in an 1800 sq ft ranch in the Northeast. No short-cycle issue here and fast cool down is a real plus.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/18/2015 7:56 PM, Smarty wrote:

I've been reading alt.hvac for many years, Stormin Mormon has been one of a handful that actually provide answers to homeowners or lay people. A few years ago I had a spiel I forget now, about hvac techs lack of self confidence and having to keep what they know to themselves, just so they could feel good they now something the poster doesn't. Anyway Stormin wasn't one of those, maybe he's having a bad day, or just being cute. Mikek
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/23/2015 1:48 PM, amdx wrote:

I've been in the presence of misdirected anger and some strange attacks. Have to develop a bit of thick skin along the way some where.
- . Christopher A. Young learn more about Jesus . www.lds.org . .
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/23/2015 2:52 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The only reason you were here was to publicize Your religious beliefs and received adverse treatment from the pro's accordingly. Nothing that you did not ask for.

--
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard
the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/24/2015 2:40 AM, PaxPerPoten wrote:

You're a mind reader? Hey, what did I have for breakfast?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/27/2015 9:57 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

"Just being cute" is exactly why I barked. Stormin may indeed "actually provide answers to homeowners or lay people" just as you say, but in this and some other cases I see the exact opposite.
I am not a particularly religious person, but the Bible's Golden Rule of 'Do Unto Others as You Would Have Them Do Unto You' strongly suggests, even to me, that you treat strsngers / homeowners / lay people with respect. Someone like Stormin who self-advertizes his Jesus connection with EVERY post in his signature should walk the walk rather than just talk the talk.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/23/2015 12:48 PM, amdx wrote:

One--- You are an idiot..
two--- The Mormon was never a licensed or trained HVAC Tech
Three--When this NG was formatted, it was meant only for People in the trade. Four--- We discouraged freebee's as this is our living.
Five--If you get advice and you screw up and get hurt/dead/whatever who is liable?
Six---we discouraged cross posting to hold down on extraneous time consuming postings. Most of us had busy schedules of work.
Seven--- This NG has been abandoned by the professionals as our moderator left and the infestation by the Home-moaners got out of hand.
Eight---Why haven't you Geniuses started a NG that fits your needs?
Paul...One of the three people who built this NG committed suicide last month due to Health and economic reasons.

--
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard
the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Looks like this self-righteous HVAC genius just blew an O-ring.
Safly, it's the one he is sitting on.......
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/24/2015 2:37 AM, PaxPerPoten wrote:

CY: Sigh. I've been outed, again. I'm a pretender.

CY: Right, this is our, uh, your, living.

CY: In this political climate, the advice dispenser is responsible and liable for all actions of the untrained HO.

CY: Sigh. Has Home Moaners Hub invaded here, like AHR?

CY: And it's Bush's fault (will they ever realize, Bush has been out of power seven years!)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
amdx wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
amdx wrote:

Only thing I know is he is Mormon.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tony Hwang wrote:

I know he has offered me some reasonable suggestions. What more can you ask for? I try to "give and take" in all of the newsgroups I read.
It sounds like some readers want a "guild" rather a newsgroup, so they may have chosen the wrong format.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bill wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tony Hwang wrote:

I don't know Mikek, and don't know more about Stormin' except I've seen him around for mo' than 10 years.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.