A/C Repair Guide - Combination Start/Run Capacitor Replacement

The other day my air conditioning system started blowing out hot air and I really didn't want to call an HVAC company unless I absolutely had to for obvious reasons ($$$$).

run capacitor for the fan and compressor being faulty. I took pictures and wrote up a quick guide. I'm sure most of you could swap one of these out with your eyes closed but hopefully someone will find it useful.
Here's the link - http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Air-Conditioner-Dual-Run-Capacitor-Replacement-Guide/index.html
_____ Paul Michaels Ft. Lauderdale, FL

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Air-Conditioner-Dual-Run-Capacitor-Replac ement-Guide/index.html
Oh goody, another Goodman 35/5/370 blown cap...
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 18:27:17 -0000, Paul Michaels

What a hack! Goodman do-it-yourselfer Strike 1 Disconnect screwed to condenser Strike 2 You are a duffus Strike 3 Bubba
Paul Michaels wrote:

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Air-Conditioner-Dual-Run-Capacitor-Replacement-Guide/index.html
I couldn't help but noticed that you carefully *pryed* open the service panel. I also couldn't help but noticed how you properly trimmed back all those bushes to help the unit run cooler [perhaps the reason the run cap failed?] But what do I know?
--
Zyp

This web site is about as useful as a prescription for amoxicillin. Sometimes it will make the patient better, and sometimes it's a waste of time.
--

Christopher A. Young
.

"Zyp" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
FYI - I just moved in to this place a few months ago. I think the A/C unit is a 2001 model.
To ZYP - Yes, I did clean up the area around the outdoor a/c unit, when I first moved in, because I knew that would help it run more efficiently. That was months before the capacitor failed. It may have been surrounded by dense vegetation for years. I wouldn't know, I didn't live here yet.
Pried? I removed the screws on the top and sides of the unit and then opened it up. Nothing was pried open. Perhaps the previous owner caused whatever damage or markings you're referring to.
-----------------------------
To Christopher - I tried to make it as clear as possible how someone could determine if their run capacitor needed to be replaced or if they have some other problem that required professional help. I think the symptoms of a bad capacitor are fairly easy to observe. I had no previous experience working on A/C units before this procedure and I figured it out with some quick internet research.
My A/C unit has been running perfectly since I replaced that capacitor and our power bill is as expected, so I don't see how anything else could be wrong.
If the fan motor eventually fails or the contactor burns out, I'm confident that I could also replace those myself. Anything beyond that and I will call a professional to do the work.
Thanks for your comments everyone.
__ Paul Michaels Ft. Lauderdale, FL www.PaulsTravelPictures.com
Paul Michaels wrote:

    Glad to hear you had success. This is NOT however, what most of the "Pros" on this news group wanted to hear. If they were professional condom installers, they would contend that all others were unable to perform their job.
I wonder how many folks will go out and replace the run cap, when something else is the problem?
Paul, your system may have an assortment of other problems which a pro could find and fix. Excess electric use, or inefficient condensor comes to mind.
--

Christopher A. Young
.