a/c dripping into drain pan in attic

I've never noticed this before but now my central unit a/c drips into the drain pan (attic) so I'm wondering if this is a sign of low freon? Unit is about 8 years old and I think it's a trane brand. So far unit seems to be cooling okay but I'm thinking it's just slightly low on freon at this point. Since I don't recall it ever dripping into the pan before, I'm thinking I should have it checked. Does this sound reasonable? Anything I should be aware of before I get the a/c guy to check it? Thanks.
<rob> wrote in message

Hmmm.....8 years old and never been serviced?? I guess the single most expensive appliance in your home is supposed to run forever with no maintenance, no service, never be checked. You wouldn't dream of doing that to your car, or trying to keep it forever either.
Yearly service is a good thing.

I don't recall saying this nor did I say I wasn't grateful. Sorry if I wasn't trying to be politically correct but simply asking advice. But thanks for trying to help.
No one can tell you if your system is low on refrigerant or not with out examining system checking pressure ETC. However the AC is also dehumidifier and if is not condensing water on the evaporator (cooling coil) it is not doing any cooling either, so it is normal for AC to drip however where this drips are accruing and how much I don't know I am not there, but you should check that your filters are clean any reduction of air flow across the evaporator will increase condensation and perhaps including freeze up of evaporator. Good luck from DIDO
<rob> wrote in message

I understand it's hard to diagnose just by my post but appreciate the advice. Thank you.
<rob> wrote in message

Call a qualified technician to diagnose, service, and repair your unit to specification.
We cannot see it from here.
<rob> wrote in message

Look at your symptoms:
"Since I don't recall it ever dripping into the pan before, I'm thinking I should have it checked" Really good idea. It didn't do it before, it's a problem that you don't know the solution to, and yes... it can get worse, and cause big problems.
"seems to be cooling okay but I'm thinking it's just slightly low on freon at this point." What in the world would cause that leap in logic?
"Anything I should be aware of before I get the a/c guy to check it?" Find out who your neighbors use and like, rather than the $29.95 special guy from the coupon book.
"I've never noticed this before but now my central unit a/c drips into the drain pan (attic) so I'm wondering if this is a sign of low freon?" In itself, there is no end user visible symptoms that would say "this is a sign of low freon" other than the refrigerant charge being so low that it just doesn't cool at all, but in that case, the low charge is a symptom to the tech, rather than the problem (the bullet hole in the evaporator, for example), which in that case is a symptom to the tech that this is the wrong 'hood.
Think about it this way: If the drain pan gets full, and the safety shuts the system down, is the "problem" that the pan is full of water, that the air handler is over the drain pan, that the air handler dripped into the pan, or that something is causing the condensate to not to go where it's supposed to.
On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 01:31:05 -0500, rob wrote:

Just as a followup, to close this thread, repair guy came out and it turned out to be clogged plumbing. He just blew it out and added bleach.
rob wrote:

I may be experiencing the same thing. Questions: How much did it cost? And did he use the wet vac inside the air handler unit, because it may be wet inside. Could you tell me where he found the clog? I'm trying to find the location of the drain in my air handler.
bye.
On 5 Sep 2006 11:08:35 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@usa.com"

The drain is that copper line with the black insulation around it. Just give it a good whap! If that doesnt do it, just cut the insulation back, and cut the copper line. When you get all done, just duct tape it. It should work just fine after that. PS: Dont worry about that "hissing" sound and that cloud of white "smoke" when you cut the line. It will all disappear very quickly. Bubba

I had one hiss on me once. I think it was just condensation or something.
Oscar_Lives posted for all of us...

It was giving you a bad review on your cutting.
--
Tekkie "There\'s no such thing as a tool I don\'t need."

<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;rob wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 01:31:05 -0500, rob wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;I've never noticed this before but now my central unit a/c drips into<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;the drain pan (attic) so I'm wondering if this is a sign of low freon?<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;Unit is about 8 years old and I think it's a trane brand.&nbsp; So far unit<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;seems to be cooling okay but I'm thinking it's just slightly low on<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;freon at this point.&nbsp; Since I don't recall it ever dripping into the<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;pan before, I'm thinking I should have it checked. Does this sound<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;reasonable?&nbsp; Anything I should be aware of before I get the a/c guy to<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;check it?&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Just as a followup, to close this thread, repair guy came out and it<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; turned out to be clogged plumbing.&nbsp; He just blew it out and added<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; bleach.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;I may be experiencing the same thing.&nbsp; Questions:<BR>&gt;&gt;How much did it cost?<BR>&gt;&gt;And did he use the wet vac inside the air handler unit, because it may<BR>&gt;&gt;be wet inside.<BR>&gt;&gt;Could you tell me where he found the clog?&nbsp; I'm trying to find the<BR>&gt;&gt;location of the <BR>&gt;&gt;drain in my air handler.&nbsp; <BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;bye.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; The drain is that copper line with the black insulation around it.<BR>&gt; Just give it a good whap! If that doesnt do it, just cut the<BR>&gt; insulation back, and cut the copper line. When you get all done, just<BR>&gt; duct tape it. It should work just fine after that. <BR>&gt; PS: Dont worry about that "hissing" sound and that cloud of white<BR>&gt; "smoke" when you cut the line. It will all disappear very quickly.<BR>&gt; Bubba</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Winners of the Darwin awards should be based on originality. Your suggestions will disqualify Rob, should he succeed. Frostbite or blinding himself following your suggestion will ruin it all for him.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A href="http://www.darwinawards.com/stupid /">http://www.darwinawards.com/stupid /</A></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Shame and lawsuits shall follow you all the days of your life. Right stormy?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Bumma, Bubba</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>dim</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
I think Bubba needs to know the one about "if you let out the white smoke...."
That's about as good as in the 70s when we used to advise CB radio operators to spray paint their circuit boards with aluminized spray paint. for heat conduction, you know.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Please send new keyboard. Lmao.