Carrier Furnace Diagnostic Help Needed

Hi, I have a 1999 Carrier gas furnace. The unit does not want to stay on. I checked the thermocouple and it is fine as the unit does ignite. I've also dusted the innards and cleaned the filters. I've noticed that when I do kick it on, there is sometimes a burnt smell coming through the vents. The duct coming out of the unit gets very hot. I'm thinking it may be the blower? Perhaps it's shutting down because the unit gets too hot without the air moving out of it. Curious what others think or if it could be something else? Any info/help on how to check the blower/give it some maintenance would be much appreciated. If it does need to be replaced, is it something DIY or should we hire a pro? thanks much, Susanne

-------------------------------------

Reply to
SusieKJ

Seeing as you have no idea A ) how it's supposed to work, nor B ) what to check, nor C ) what to fix / change, I would kinda suggest you call someone who does.

And I'd suggest you do it SOON. That thing can kill you in the middle of the night while you sleep.

Reply to
.p.jm.

responding to

SusieKJ wrote: Wow, you're a sad and bitter person. I just noticed your ugly comments to others asking for info as well. I pity you.

Reply to
SusieKJ

Wow, you're a pissy little bitch with no appreciation for the excellent correct advice I gave you for free.

Now go kill youself with your furnace.

Reply to
.p.jm.

SusieKJ wrote:

He gave you correct advice....call you local licensed, insured, professionally trained tech to diagnose and correct the problem(s). Your asked a question an you got a straight answer......Just because its not what you wanted to hear........

Reply to
Steve

> SusieKJ wrote:

---------------------------------- It's a matter of snarky a-hole tone of it being obvious I don't know anything rather than saying he recommends hiring someone. I just found out that it is my blower so I guess I know more than he does. He's insulted many people on the board calling them cheap for not calling a repairman. Perhaps he doesn't get any work because he's an a-hole. My husband's entire family works in trades so he can just fug himself if he thinks we don't have respect for tradework. I just don't have respect for his ahole self.

Reply to
SusieKJ

------------------------------------- Stop looking at these forums if it's causing you so much grief ahole.

Reply to
SusieKJ

Hi, I have a 1999 Carrier gas furnace. The unit does not want to stay on. I checked the thermocouple and it is fine as the unit does ignite. I've also dusted the innards and cleaned the filters. I've noticed that when I do kick it on, there is sometimes a burnt smell coming through the vents. The duct coming out of the unit gets very hot. I'm thinking it may be the blower? Perhaps it's shutting down because the unit gets too hot without the air moving out of it. Curious what others think or if it could be something else? Any info/help on how to check the blower/give it some maintenance would be much appreciated. If it does need to be replaced, is it something DIY or should we hire a pro? thanks much, Susanne

-------------------------------------

Steve and PJM are both correct. You need to called a pro NOW. There are ways to determine what's wrong with your furnace and to obtain error codes but you have demonstrated you cannot perform these methods. It's okay. I cannot either so I call a pro.

It is no joke when they say your furnace can kill you when not functioning properly. There are plenty of cases where a family pet has died just a day or two after a malfunctioning furnace was noticed.

FIY, I've had an electric vent damper fail causing the same issue you have in the past, but it was a pro that determined that, not me.

Reply to
The Henchman

There are a variety of things that can cause the symptoms stated, all of which will lead to greatly decreased equipment life, and some of which will kill you before you have to worry about that.

None of them can be safely and correctly diagnosed over the Internet with a non-tech home-moaner who lacks the needed tools on the other end.

Little Suzy would rather piss her panties than admit that. Oh, well.

Reply to
.p.jm.