Latest threads in HVAC Discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Gasohol
Stormy: It is a lousy fuel. It takes more energy to produce then it will expend. It costs the taxpayer 55 cents a mixed gallon and it still can't compete. The farmers love it. They pay $10,000 per...
36
36

Rapid City Storm
Is that right now, or some time in the past? I presume the city is blanketed with too much snow, you imply?
1
1

Dakota
On another list, they put out a request for aid. Aparently the Lakota indian reservation is having a hard time. They got hit by a surprise storm, and are really low on propane, food, etc. These are...
1
1

Indicator Lamp on Weathertron 3AAT80B1A1 Thermostat
One of the GE Weathertron Model 3AAT80B1A1 thermostats in our home is doing its thing and when the temperature setting is increased a few degrees above ambient the auxillary heaters come on OK to...
27
27

Question on Heat Pump utility closet
I live on the 4th floor of a condo with a 20 year Carrier 50Qt through the wall electric heat pump. There is a louvered door to the closet. The problem is that the closet is real drafty - cold air...
25
25

quiet return grille recommendations
My 16.5x31.5" furnace return grille is getting on my nerves after 20 years. Should I just go to Home Depot and "supersize" my grille? Or is there a brand out there with a reputation for quiet? Thanks,...
36
36

RV Furnace question, leaky pilot valve, 1975 Hydro Flame FA-7232 model
This furnace won't light the pilot light. I can turn the red valve to the pilot position and hold it down to ignite the pilot light with a lighter. The pilot lights up just once with a little poof...
9
9

Question for limit switch-heating
How do I wire a blower to turn on at one temp, then off on another? I found a duct booster fan that I want to boost my draft in my wood stove. For example, turn on the fan at 65 Degrees and when the...
2
2

What sort of external static duct pressures typically occur in Mobile/Mfd. Homes ?
Mobile Home furnaces are different from conventional furnaces , due to the increased ESP encountered in Mobile Home duct systems . Has anyone actually checked to see what the ESP was on a Mobile Home...
20
20

HVAC buzzing noise followed by swoosh coming from condenser
I have started running my furnace for the season. As the furnace is running I hear the following noises coming from the condenser, usually at night. The unit is running and I will hear a buzzing noise...
4
4

Home Depot insulation spray adhesive for furnace plenum ?
The fiberglass insulation on my furnace's plenum has slipped. The insulation has to be re-glued. Home Depot has a number of 3M spray adhesives, but no one seems to know which would be safe on a...
1
1

My furnace is old - gas company repair plans OK?
Does anyone have an experience with utility-company repair plans? I am considering one for my furnace, which is pretty old. Has anyone ever need a repair/replacement under these plans?
3
3

Heater Hustlers from Canton again: the TropicAir portable electric space heater
Well, once again it's the silly season. Last week my local paper ran a full-page ad for the =93revolutionary TropicAir Heater that slashes heat bills and helps keep you healthier=94. Curiously it...
3
3

Question about old heating oil tank
My heating oil tank is pretty old, and is located in my basement. I have no idea how much rust might be inside it. Is there any way to gauge it's structural integrity and approximate remaining...
34
34

Furnace inducer motor squealing
Bought this house last June. Had the furnace inspected; tech said it was OK. Furnace is pretty old; it's a carrier 58ssb080-bc. (Though tech said it had some new parts put in, so maybe it would...
7
7