$5,000 for installation of Trane 15i A/C? Reasonable?

Page 2 of 3
What was your source?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Or wait until they have R-410B and then you'll really get fucked. Let's face it you have to have PLANNED obsolescence in products or we'd all be out of work. Yeah I know the "new" refrigerant is good for the environment.......the PAYCHECK environment. Xeno

There are a number of factors which will drive costs. Which refrigerant are you going with? R22 will be cheaper but there's a fear that you won't be able to service your units in a few years as production of said refrigerant and equipment will cease. I dunno, I can still get parts for my 67 Ford Mustang just fine so it's not a real worry for me. The newer refrigerant units (R-410 I believe) will cost more but supposedly will last longer (ie. production of). That being said, all the guys that came out to give me quotes seemed to think the R-410 was over hyped, under tested, and not worth the extra expense. Time will tell. When the company did mine, they had to run new supply lines through the ductwork under the house (concrete slab), remove the old Evap. cooler, modify the furnace, and do all the hookups. Mine's a 4 ton unit Rheem. Cost ended up being about $3400 however, I did all the electrical myself which saved about $500 off the bid price. I got 3 quotes. The other 2 were: $6500 and $10000. Both had the electrical in them. I'd definitely recommend getting as many quotes as reasonable to narrow the price down. Good luck. Cheers, cc

Yup... and that was all before the first of this year.... what you didn't bother to tell the guy was the efficiencies of the systems in the other bids. Paying $3400 for a 4 ton Rheem system *installed*, had to be for a 10 SEER system, or your installer got it out the back door of a supply house. In case you didn't bother to look, January 28 2006 the minimum efficiency got jacked up to 13 SEER.
FYI a 4 ton 13 SEER heat pump and air handler, *installed* runs in the neighborhood of $6,000 - $7,000.

Wrong. My unit is a 13 SEER.

got model numbers?? BTW...what you gonna do for warranty repairs when the installer goes belly up working for free??

I thought that warranty is offered by manufacturers and warranty work can be done by any authorized reps. Am I mistaken?
On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 04:32:12 GMT, Ignoramus3077

When are you going to go away?

No you are correct. BUT he has a valid point.
I can only speak for myself, but I do not want to eat the extra time (claim forms ...) on warranty repairs unless I know the customer.
8(
Danny, the warranty is a fair mark-up on price and a livable labor rate. It is great when you can couple it with a PM contract. Then the customer never turns down a repair, and you are already there doing a PM
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

The warranty is originally assigned to the contractor that purchased it. If you are unhappyt with that contractor, you can have it transferred to another Trane Contractor for $25
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Sure. RCBA048 Coil. RAND048JAZ 4 ton, 13 SEER condenser.
I hardly believe they'll be going belly up any time soon. They've been in business here for over 35 years. (or is it 40. Don't remember but either way they are one of the most respected outfits here in town). Just what sort of labor rates are you using anyway?

OK.... you did get bent over..... 13 SEER condenser with a 10 SEER coil... the coil should have been an RCHJ-48A2 or an RCFJ-AU4821AC to actually get 13 SEER

My labor rates have not changed in almost 2 years, but your right, I do need to raise my rates due to the rising costs of parts, materials. fuel, insurance, utilities, groceries, etc.

I don't have the expansion valve numbers handy but what I do remember is the combination gave me a SEER between 12-14. I haven't gotten my first electric bill yet so time will tell. All I know is the system works great and I didn't get bent over. Either way, the parts are relatively the same price wise (certainly not thousands apart) so I still think $6-7k is still too much. Keep in mind I did my own electrical....which knocked off $500.

Geese... you just can't seem to get your story straight..... if it has an expantion valve on it, its either an RCHJ or an RCGJ, NOT an RCBA. The RCBA-048 is 21 inches wide, the RCHJ/RCGJ-48A2 coils are 24 inches wide. I suppose that you are still using a one-speed furnace with it?? To actually *GET* 13 SEER with any of the Rheem "M" coils require a variable speed blower....but you already knew that. As I said, a RAND-048JAZ, with the *correct* coil and furnace combination, *installed* is $6,000 - 7,000.

Well at the end of the day, I know what I've got is working just fine and for half of what you seem to think it should have cost. All the more reason to get more than one bid. I'm moving on to better conversations.......

yeah yeah.... all you got was half of what you paid half price for. You got it cheap, you didn't get it right.

I love those...the: "what *I* have is working just fine" units....
Normally, they call back later and ask if the original quote to make it rights good still.
BTW....dunno how many of you got your new price sheets this week...thanks to copper going up, so did equipment....25% across the board.

I sure hope that's not true. 25% geeze... What copper have to go up price 500% or something to do that.