$5,000 for installation of Trane 15i A/C? Reasonable?

Page 1 of 3
Our contractor quoted us $5,000 for installation of Trane 15i air conditioner. That includes both inside as well as outside unit.
Is that reasonable?
Ignoramus1064 wrote:

Wasn't a bad cap? Blown compressor? Does the Trane 15i have the protective devices your previous unit seems to have lacked like the short cycle timer and high pressure switch?
Pete C.

wasn't
yes
I asked this question, he answered that yes, it had overloads. As part of the job, he will also install a new thermostat unit that does have a 5 minute delay built in.
Sounds a bit high. When my boss and I put in a system it runs about 2 1/2 grand, not 5 grand. Of course, nothing costs as much as a trane.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Yes but then we all know how much of a fuckin idiot you and your "boss" are. Bubba
On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 20:47:07 GMT, Ignoramus1064

Define "reasonable". Bubba

Not exceeding what other good contractors would charge, by too much.
As an aside, I have to say that I like our A/C guy, he seems to be actually honest. I had an issue 2 years ago where I knew what was bad (speed control board). One contractor came and BSed me how he "diagnosed" that all boards need to be replaced. He did not get hired. This one identified the issue and fixed only what needed fixing.
So, I would pay him slightly more than the competitive amount, but would not want to be taken to cleaners.

That depends on where you are and how much work needs to be done on your particular house.( Are they running new supply "lines"?) Why not call other companies for competitive bids on similar products? I'm in Houston and $5000. doesn't sound like "a lot". I recently had to replace the condenser/compressor unit (outside) for $1800 which was the middle of the three bids I got. McM
Too damn cheap.... what corners is he cutting to be able to do it so cheap?? Bet its not the new R-410a refrigerant either.... in a couple of years, when you need some more R-22, get ready to get fucked hard as its phased out.

Um, what is the difference, thanks

The difference is that R-22 is going away.... the production will be cut back by an additional 65% in January of 2010...thats only 3 1/2 years away. At the same time. the manufactures will stop making *all* R-22 equipment. Maybe you should do a little homework on the EPA and DOE websites.
Noon-Air writes:

No it isn't. Suckers will just pay more.

Yeah right.... and R-12 didn't go away in cars either
Noon-Air writes:

No, it didn't. I still use it. Glut of it these days, in fact, compared to the 90s.
I've got a couple of the old 12 oz cans of R-12. Figured I ought to sell them off. Well, they are going about $20 a can on Ebay, so maybe the market isn't quite right. It appears that the outlawing R-12 didn't remove it from the marketplace.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Since when has outlawing *anything* actually eliminated it?
Pete C.
Lets look at a couple examples. Outlawing murder.... did that help? Washington DC and New York City outlawed private citizen poesession of handguns. Did that help? Nationwide, the US outlawed cocaine, heroin, crack cocaine. Did that help?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

So your point is that outlawing stupidity would not help you in the least then?

You can still buy it there is just no demand.
For example: United Refrigeration http://www.uri.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/PrcTransaction/en_US/-/USD/ViewCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=4OesEEGSCTgAAAELvyTXCpUW&OnlineFlag=1

Ya right. You should never need to add refigerent! Leaks do happen but not often. I find far more misdiagnosed over charged systems then I do leaks.

Funny I just picked up a white jug of refrigerant last week. LOL