2, 2.5, 3, OR 4 TON FOR HOUSE?

Page 1 of 2
Can I get by with a 2.5 ton CHAC for a 1500 sq ft home?
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 16:18:56 -0700 (PDT), "MRS. CLEAN"

    Sure.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
✖
On Jun 22, 4:50 pm, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

I put in a 3 T for 1800 sf, so I figured 2.5 T should cover 1500 sf. I found one for $1500. Now, I will look for an installer.
Add pictures here
✖
That depends on so many factors. I havn't got time to even begin the list of things we'd need to know. You should ask several HVAC install and service companies, near to you.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Add pictures here
✖

    And a few other things. Like 'define 'get by'.

www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
✖

I am currently feeding 16 dogs and 2 cats. I run my own shelter now for 25 years.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:36:04 -0700 (PDT), "MRS. CLEAN"

    Exellent !!! :-)
    For that, I shall be nice and try to help you :-)
    One important thing you haven't mentioned is where you live. The local climate makes all the difference. Florida vs Canada are two different worlds, HVAC-wise.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
✖

WOW! Thanks.
I live in California but haven't used CHAC much but my shelter needs frequent air exchanges to prevent kennel cough because my numbers are high until I find the dogs qualified homes.
My regular guy came out last year, explained that water had penetrated the housing. I paid him $600 and he put in a new motor and fixed the openings. I found the unit did not work for heat last winter. Last Friday, my guy's kid came out and said that water had rusted inside the unit. He greased it and charged me $80 telling me that I needed to pay him $6000 to replace the unit. Well, $6000 will feed a lot of foster animals and pay a lot of vet bills.
So, I found a fairly new 2.5 tone unit for $1500 so I figured I would hire someone to hang it. Since 3 ton is suitable for 1800 sf rental I have, I figured 2.5 ton is suitable for 1500 sf house I live in.
Now, I need to figure out who in Sacramento will help our shelter and erect the unit..........
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 14:09:03 -0700 (PDT), "MRS. CLEAN"

    Without betting into the usual suggestion of having a load calc done, etc, you're probably on the right track, or close enough.

    Try talking to local vets, shelters, etc, see if they can recommend anyone who gives you a break because it's a shelter.
    Having it installed RIGHT will make a big difference. If you ask around enough, you may find someone sympathetic to cut you a break. Do NOT let 'The Mexican Mafia' do it !
    Good luck !
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
✖

Okay, so I don't go to Home Depot and pick up a day worker :)
Since things are working, I have "time" go keep my eyes open and scout around for an answer. I think my tenant is an electrician who "knows" folks. I may ask him.
Add pictures here
✖
I am NOT kidding. Craigs List has a new 2.5 Ton in the box unit for $500 right here in town. Plus, he has people who can install.
Wow!!!
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:12:46 -0700 (PDT), "MRS. CLEAN"

    Do they mention whos' truck it fell off ?
    Run, do not walk, from that one !
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
✖
Folks, I live no where near there! Honest!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Where was it stolen from??
Add pictures here
✖

I asked exactly "why so cheap?" And he said he was closing out inventory. He is a licensed running business. It is "in the box". I wonder if it has been sitting in the warehouse a long time :(
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 11:44:06 -0700 (PDT), "MRS. CLEAN"

    Post the brand and model and serial here, maybe someone can tell you how old it is.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
✖
The $500 unit was a split system, and I am set up for a package unit. So, the deal is OFF :)
I did speak with a contractor at the house last night, and he explained how I could get a tax rebate of up to $1500 by buying a better unit, etc. He really didn't want to go there (he explained people aren't spending like that) but the choices are:
a. 4 T 75,000 BHU 13 seer is $4,895; or, b. 4 T ____ BHU 15.5 seer is $6,895 (rebate up to $1,500)
You end up paying $500 for a much better unit. Why wouldn't you??
Since I am in no hurry my unit is working, I will wait until the quieter time of the season and bring folks out again. I may get a better offer.
Add pictures here
✖

Change of seasons doesn't mean change of prices for HVAC equipment anymore than it does for groceries, or cars.
Add pictures here
✖

    Yes, it does.
    MANY companies offer discounts in the slow season(s).