134a discharge pressures

I have a couple of the 134 screw on adapters because everybody's after me to fix car AC systems all the time. A guy I do a lot of HVAC work with wanted me to help him with his daughter's Honda AC. The dealer quoted $4,000.00, we repaired it for substantially less money. I had never worked on a Honda AC before and had to look it up on The Web to see how it was put together. The defective expansion valve was behind the glove box so we had to remove half the dash to get to it. A new expansion valve was $13.00, a receiver was less than $30.00, some oil and 134a was another $30.00. I think we beat the dealer price. It took an afternoon but it was worth it to do it right.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I do kind of wonder why you are in HVAC in the first place. If you are a locksmith, there can't be much time for HVAC. 3 or 4 hours in rekeying cars in a Repo lot should net you around a $1000. One car opening would bring in $85 and upward. Nose opening safe deposit boxes for the bank is about 3 minutes each and $35 a box with a minimum of $350. a 5 minute job of impressioning a lock is $75. Recombinating safes for businesses is $150 each and takes about 6 minutes. Opening a home file/fire safe is $300. Opening a large Diebold would run about $1,000 to $2,500 each You can start at $10 grand for a full vault. Home openings run about $85.00 upward. You don't need the investment in equipment that you have for HVAC and you can haul most of the tools around in your pocket Or Pinto glovebox. Insurance and certification at ALOHA is very cheap in comparison to what we pay. Nobody cares how you got to the job. You can actually do calls on a bicycle. Locks don't change much and the Feds are not dictating your business and licensing is sketchy.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Every year there is a Mitchell manual on the exact A/C for every vehicle. Most libraries have it and it is perusable on the library internet. I recommend A local wireless connect lap top with a car computer hookup that can query the cars computer as to status of computer etc. Such a connection to the car is about $100 at:

Also local wireless is about $19.00 for the laptop.

Also the very best way to load a car AC is by weighing it in. You may find that very hard to do with 12 oz cans.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Ouch, four grand is a pile of money. Making your labor rate some couple hundred bucks an hour. Well worth it. I havn't had much request for topping off car AC. The AC on my van pinto doesn't work. I keep thinking some day I'll try and figure out why. Friends have suggested a bad pressure sensor, either high limit or low cut out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

For whatever reason, the locksmith biz doesn't make the phone ring enough to keep me alive. But, the ad under refrigerators repair helps keep me busy. I think your price schedule is a bit more than what I can get around here.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Do you have a yellow page ad and are you registered with ALOHA?

Reply to
Don Ocean

I have a small reader ad, in a couple phone books. Havn't found that the display ads do much difference.

No, not registered with ALOHA, never saw much point.

So far, most of my lock work has been referral companies. I'm not sure how they get the calls, but it's essentially all stores in malls. So, that gets the old brain box working. Like Steve says, simple post cards with a lot of white space. I'll try that one of these days.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon