Zukes ond gender bias

Is there some reason why a zuke plant would only put out male flowers? I've so far gotten three HUGE zukes but all I see lately is just new male flowers. There are quite a lot of them coming in but no females? I may be overwatering. Could this be the cause?

Pick zuchs at 5" - 6" in length. If you let them get large and mature, the plant thinks that it has done its part in preserving the species. Pick them small when the flower is still fresh. Moderate, consistent watering is what you want. The aren't water lilies.
--
- Billy

That makes sense, actually. I've been growing them like this:
http://i37.tinypic.com/334t3wy.jpg
because even at that size they taste really good.
Paul

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&&sa=X&ei=AiNbTPf GLZK8sQOt5IysDw&ved BIQvwUoAQ&q=zucchini+flower+recipes&spell=1>
Enjoy!
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Way too big. You can get way more fruit if you pick sooner. If you don't want much then at least you'll be eating the absolute nicest fruits, and the flowers are good to eat too.
    Una

Real simple. When they still have their flowers, slice length wise and serve with carrot cut length wise, and dip in 1000 Island Salad dressing as appetizer.
--
- Billy

At that size they are stuffing zucchinis.
Stuffed Zucchini
1 lg. Zucchini 1 - 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese 1/4 cup minced onions 2 tbsp. minced parsley 1 1/4 tsp. salt 2 Italian sausages removed from casings
Wash zucchini and cut off ends. Boil until tender in water with 1 tsp. salt(5-7 min. more if very large), cut in half, and remove the centers with a spoon. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Chop zucchini centers and mix with loose sausage, bread crumbs, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, minced onions, parsley, salt, and pepper. Pile mixture into zucchini shells, dot with butter, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
***
I like to serve with tomato (spaghetti) sauce, and brown rice.
--
- Billy
Billy wrote:

A little tool that is useful is a zucchini corer. This will allow you to core medium-small zucchinis which can then be stuffed and baked although I see no need to cook them before coring or stuffing.
You make it yourself. You need about 25cm (10in) of 12mm (1/2 in) straight copper tube such as used by plumbers for water services, non-annealed is better than annealed if you have a choice. Cut one end at an angle and sharpen the edge with a flat file, smooth the sharp edge off the other end. A rat's tail file may be useful to take off the internal burr that cutting sometimes leaves. Polish with steel wool and wash.
You hold the blunt end and push the sharp end up the middle of the marrow and then flick the contents at the person who is standing looking over your shoulder wondering what this organic-looking tool is for.
David

Chacun son gooey. I can see the appeal in your approach to someone with tool and die skills. Here in the US, our alternative Second Amendment approach is to fire a 30-06 rifle down the axis of a large zuch. It's a little messy, and occasionally puts the neighbors on edge, but the fire fights don't usually last that long, and it's quick;o)
--
- Billy
Paul M. Cook wrote:

Did anybody ever read a fantasy novel called "The Pollinators of Eden"? It's about orchids who have gender biases and coopt humans into being their pollinators.

Made baked stuffed zukes using recipe ideas here and embellished with spices and mozzarella cheese. Despite being 20 inches of "tough" and"fibrous" zuke, this was tender, sweet and delicious. Even the seeds were tiny and soft. I really think this sucker could have been 3 feet long and as good.
Paul